This topic contains 206 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of klampykixx
    klampykixx
    Participant

the theory’s like this.

it has nice headers, thinking two of my current turbo, one on each side. t2871. bigger water to air intercooler, twin 3″ dumps

mad skids.

but the main thing that i had in mind, was a conversion to cross8 or adventura transfer case so i can make it 4wd at some point.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

You my friend am an ideas man, and i like that :good:

klampykixx
    Participant

Lol which bit is your favourite?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I like all the ideas tbh.  But the idea of a 4wd van laying mad skids sounds cool.

Might be worth reading through IJs thread  (wish he was back on here btw!) about his 4wd conversion in his VR/Lexcan.  Not sure you need to go to the extent of fabricating your own suspension like he did as his is a race car but maybe there is a front hub set up of another smaller awd that you could mate up to the drive shafts out of the front diff?

But really even just the rwd V6 conversion with turbo(s) into yours would make for something pretty cool.

klampykixx
    Participant

I’ve read Ljs thread actually and I love that idea.  But rather than ifs 4wd I’m thinking hilux live axles on leafs. Completely removing the ifs is the plan. 28-30 inch tires and resulting in a nice 4-6″ lift.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx.
    klampykixx
    Participant

so thinking out loud here for a moment,

two ideas.

1:
    T2871 turbo as primary feeding a second turbo T70 or similar for twin charge/sequential type boost.

2:
    2x T2871 as a twin turbo, one on each side of the motor.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I don’t know much about turbo charging, so actually enjoying you showing how its done as you go :)

klampykixx
    Participant

well you’re following someone who hasn’t managed to complete a successful turbocharging to date, so I’m learning by doing at the moment. some of the things may not be 100% typical or considered normal or by-the-book etc, so take what you see with a grain of salt ha

i like to tinker, and try things slightly different to the norm. sometimes it works, sometimes its epic fail.

but I am glad i have at least one person following, appreciate it.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nothing wrong with that at all.  Like I have said before, the variety in the modified car scene is amazing.  So much on mine had to be made up as I went along.  I mean nothing wrong with going a tried and true way, but is nice sometimes to have a crack at something different, whatever happens you can learn something.

klampykixx
    Participant

brought it home tonight. goes well. has rego till january, so ill drive it as a daily until rego runs out, while i save up for conversion parts over the next month or two. id like to get the van ready to have this motor and box to go straight in, rather than having no car at all while doing the swaps.  means ill pull the pin on completing the four cylinder turbo and just wait till the v6 is in it.

gives me from now until january to save up at least $2500 for bits. should be plenty of time as long as nothing strange pops up.

cant wait to see how the v6 goes with the 4.44 diff haha gonna rev its head off on the highway…..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Personally, with modified cars if you are worried about highway revs, you are doing it wrong…

klampykixx
    Participant

not “worried” as such, but i do drive it on the highway every so often, some economy while travelling will be a nice touch.  anything under 15L/100km will be appreciated….

klampykixx
    Participant

So after a few chats with friends and a bloke who tunes these things alot, short term tuning plan is to run L67 engine management and injection and 8psi of boost. That keeps things super simple and almost bolt on.

The decision needs to come as Wether I run sequential turbo utilising my new t2871 and a T70 or similar, or just get another t2871 and run it as parallel twin. Being auto I’m honestly favouring the sequential setup for responsiveness.

I’ve been thinking about nothing but planning and ideas since making the decision to buy the vs.

May even have to buy a third car as interim daily while the van and vs are apart swapping organs

klampykixx
    Participant

Currently in talks towards getting a Toyota dyna/coaster gearbox to keep my manual trans in favour of auto.

Also made the choice just to run the two 2871 as parallel to keep it simple and effective.

With this setup I should expect between 150-200kw atw.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx.
    klampykixx
    Participant

man i need to make a solid decision here… lol  because plans are not in concrete so theyre chopping and changing. but the manual idea is out, and sticking with auto.

pending on availability this thursday, 6-10-16 ill be picking up a VX auto wagon pretty cheap. lets hope its still there…

current plan is to leave the v6 and auto stock, and drop it into the van, engineer it and then focus on getting the rust sorted and then back to the audio side.

then with the VR, convert it to manual and strip it down for track days/drift/etc with the turbo it so badly deserves.

Profile photo of BTS666.0
    BTS666.0
    Participant

go twins in  the van for simplicity.

...so I said "orange ya glad I didn't say banana?"........hahahaha.....hhhmmmm...pffft.....

klampykixx
    Participant

Right this minute I’m kinda dropping the idea of turbos for the moment.  My main aim is just to get the motor swap done and get it engineered. If I really want more power after that then I’ll go twins for sure,  curious on where the turbo oil will go though as they’ll be behind the motor so won’t have access to drain back to the sump.

klampykixx
    Participant

So we got the motor out of its hole today, then parked it where it’s likely to stay for a short while.

Next week I’ll be able to afford to purchase the conversion kit, but it sounds like it’s going to be at least two weeks before I can actually purchase it tho as they’re about to do a production run of my kit.

Here’s a couple pictures.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

:good:

klampykixx
    Participant

so ive been thinking about what im going to do with the exhaust since its going to have to be custom.

for a stock motor, including the stock headers, is it worth running dual cats and a complete dual exhaust?

i want it to have a nice note, to not drone, but also be somewhat quiet. as my van has a tendency to drone because of cabin resonances.

my other thought, was to run the stock VX Ypipe including the stock cat, and use 2.5″ piping with a single 3″ dogleg(offset/offset) glasspack muffler and then back down to 2.5″ piping to the tail.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.