This topic contains 206 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of klampykixx
    klampykixx
    Participant

Yeh pretty much.

In theory you could run a stand alone oiling setup for the turbo. Have a mini sump and oil pump cycling oil through the bearings but would need cooling and to be changed frequently I’d imagine.

Good topic of conversation there

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Understand, yea agreed good convo.  As I understand it the plus side of a rear mount is there’s no need for an intercooler, and the intake length isn’t much different from a front mount, plus it doesn’t have anywhere near the bends.  Be pretty cool to take the plenums rearwards, through the firewall, then down behind the dash and back to the turbo.  Just a thought bubble at the moment though.

Could you run your turbo in that clear box area under the passenger seat?

klampykixx
    Participant

I’d love to say yes put it there!  But no it’s a bit big

Rear mount advantages are as you say regarding no intercooler,  but sizing is super important to make use of the flow rather than heat energy the manifold produces.

Thru the cab would be “cool” (pun intended)  especially if you ran aircon inside!  Maybe some finned piping to help chill intake even moreso.

I’ve been fixing an oil leak that sprung up and looking at potential charge piping routes and I’m thinking about running the cold pipes across top of gearbox and back up from under the carby to keep away from running over the motor. Plus it will shorten the piping too.  And keep it all hidden.  another plus to high mounting will be the potential to run the drain straight into the rocker cover which will be a huge bonus if it fits there

klampykixx
    Participant

Threw on some different rims n tires today,  the muddies will return when we finally work out what to do regarding a potential 4wd conversion.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s one cool/fun toy mate, love it.  And that looks like one big ass turbo.  Keep the updates flowing.

klampykixx
    Participant

The turbo is a Gt2871 which is apparently the upgrade size to a Silvia Sr20 type motor. Hoping I haven’t oversized ha,  considering the turbo I was planning to use was only a t25 off a diesel. Much tiny…

Updates will happen.  I want this done asap! Next work will be done in a couple weeks or so.  Thinking fuel system next.

klampykixx
    Participant

Got my h4 LEDs today. Fitted tonight. Massive improvement in light output.  Very clean clear light too. Went from Phillips crystal vision bulbs which despite being “blue” were still quite yellow and now I have crisp white beams.  Very nice

Low beam, camera doesn’t do it justice of course

High beam

And while I had the bullbar off I figured I’d wire up the front repeaters too.

klampykixx
    Participant

My first of many silicone joiners arrived today, so fitted it up. 3″-2.25″ 90deg elbow. Off the carb hat then facing down into the first part of piping to cross over the gearbox towards the turbo.

Exhaust has a new tone to it since fitting the new carb and tuning it right, I quite like it. Has a strange subdued rasp to it but without being raspy at all.

Next week will be finally getting the fittings and hose to get the fuel system sorted and I’ll also see about getting the exhaust parts ready to weld up the following week.

klampykixx
    Participant

getting ready to work out what needs to be chopped or changed to make a FWD manifold fit my RWD layout.

pretty much just going to cut the main flange off, flip it over and go high mount and hope it physically fits.

3″ dump fits nicely.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice fab skills, you do this work yourself?

klampykixx
    Participant

Nice fab skills, you do this work yourself?

ha if only it was my own work! both the dump and the manifold came off ebay.

Had the carb fully apart last night and today. swapped the air bleed bits, and put a smaller 125 in place of the 135 in the primary. and now its much better to drive and smoother, bar being a bit rough on idle. and not being able to idle below 1100. i can drop it down to 900 and it will hold for a moment, but then out of nowhere it will just stall. so clearly its still not right, but its better than it was, so ill leave it for now until the wideband goes on.

further along, i unbolted the stock header and was left with this in front of me.

and here we can see the manifold in its proposed habitat

which is not going to work >

im going to need to make a complete manifold as the flange is too far forwards on the stainless unit.

did get all fittings sorted today, so fuel system will be attended to once it all arrives and can put it all together.

waiting on the sump fitting but ill pick up a sump gasket tomorrow so im ready for it

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx.
    klampykixx
    Participant

so i got stuck into it last night, was up till 3am…

pulled the carb off, and completely stripped it down. bored out the throttle shaft and pressed in some brass tube and carby cleaned it and put it all back together.

still struggling to get it to idle under 1000rpm but its smooth now, not misfiring and carrying on. i think the throttle shaft is a bit tight as i couldnt drill it 100% perfect with a hand drill….

heres a short clip of it idling at 900. after putting it bac together it wont go under 1000 unless i push it shut by hand. so thinking its just a tight throttle shaft, which should loosen up over the next few days of use hopefully

klampykixx
    Participant

So it’s 11:40 and I’ve been at it again since 8:30.

I had an idea from the last time I had the carb apart that the power valve was really stiff and would flip between on and off rather than being progressive.

I reseated the diaphragm after reading an overhaul instruction and also removed two preload spacers from it. I figure once boost is involved it’s gonna open no matter what.

I was right for what feels like the first time and I got my idle to stabilise dead on 1000rpm.

Still not happy with that I grabbd my vacuum gauge and plugged it in.

To my surprise I have zero measurable vacuum from what is supposed to be the vac advance port. So I tore the manifold off and resealed the adapter plate thinking it was leaking somewhere. Don’t think it changed much but I do feel there was some improvement. The original paper gasket was fully moist with fuel and coolant so I replaced it with rubber and a smear of gasket goo.

Still no vacuum on the vac advance port. So I checked the one I had blocked. Also pretty much zero but I actually got a response from opening the throttle. So I figured my lack of low throttle acceleration was due to no vac advance this whole time and now I’ve got it, it feels the best it has in a long time.

I’m glad I decided to tear into it, again.

Really hoping next time is for the turbo to get mounted.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of klampykixx klampykixx.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work mate, sunds like your getting stuck into it, love to have dibs on a ride one day when its done :good:

klampykixx
    Participant

Ha thanks,  I’ll be sure to come find you if I get out of town ha

klampykixx
    Participant

So been doing some thinking and I believe that by this time next year I’ll have gone full circle and will have a 3.8 in this box.

My dad is selling his vs so trying to convince him to let me have it as he just upgraded to a ve and the emotec has been built for boost so it’s ready to drop in and will save me mass cash on engine work.

See what happens.

klampykixx
    Participant

did just buy this.

has low comp motor(8.5:1), boost cam/chip, refurbed auto plus a few other good bits. rego till january. $1000.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So plan is engine swap into the van?  Does that mean your shelving the turbo install you have been working on?

klampykixx
    Participant

nah, going to continue on the turbo deal. but going to drive the VS around until rego runs out in january.

klampykixx
    Participant

i want to finish a project for once.

it will just be finishing this stage. before moving onto the next stage.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.