This topic contains 28 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sv89#170 sv89#170 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Hello,

Just bought this 1994 VR Senator from QLD unrego and drove is back on a 2 day QLD trasport permit to Sydney.

It had closed door paint job in a booth so paint is excellent but they put it back together with old parts , cracked badges, missing decals and its was a family smokers car so Im a neat freak and have to tidy it up.

Its was suppose to be my daily work car.. but I think its to nice to get bumped and scratched on the street.. so I will find a way to put it away.

I have already hit ebay and the web to buy NOS parts. New front bonnet badge, rear HSV badge, looking for 185i and senator decals for boot, 3 metre of senator trim on a roll, new demister switch, front and rear gas struts.

Sending dash away to get the LCD screen new, I will be re trimming roof, front seat, door cards.

Service engine and auto box.. (may also take out the auto shift kit)

Full steam clean and interior, new stereo and tidy up of engine bay.

Very good starting point as I paid $5000 + Flight + Fuel = $5300

Have ordered new HSV certificate build No.217 and NSW premium black with white writting “217 HSV” have been ordered.

I bought a senator car bra and that did the job perfect on the way home.

It has a outdoor car cover on it ATM and I will plug away on the little jobs for fun when I have the time as I work a lot, spend time with my kids and also like to do up my house.. so the car is not a priority :)

At Macca’s on the way home.

I made it back with only one cop pulling me over..lol

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Stayed overnight at a mates house in Port Macquarie on the way back. Car had ice cold AC and engine didnt miss a beat.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very nice car as a base mate, been waiting to see this :) When I did mine I had perfect reproduction rear garnish “SENATOR” decals made up, also 185i as they are different to the VS which are much more blocky. The sign guy still has them on file and can make more I will pm you his contact details, I think he only wants $50 or so for them. Also looks like you don’t have the original steering wheel, if you are anal about originality there are subtle differences in the leather stitching on VR vs VS HSV’s, I have an image showing what you need if you want me to post it up? Nice car!

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Hi Gary,

Can you please post up in this thread some detail pics of your interior and steering wheel.

These cars didnt have air bag right?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate they def had air bags. The Senator was based on the Berlina, so air bag, climate air, self leveling suspension, electric windows etc. The clubbies were based on the Exec, so were more basic. But just be aware, back in the VR days you could spec a lot of stuff different. I literally worked for two brothers who each bought VR Senators back in the day (that’s when I fell in love with them) and one ordered his with the rear wing, and one didn’t for example. So there can lots of small option changes.

This is the differences in the two steering wheels, I mean its a minor thing, but if you going to the trouble of restoring it would be nice to keep it correct.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This is my interior, I hadn’t put the electric window switches back in though then, is that what you were after?

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Neat looking Senator. Good too see your restoring it back to factory.

Hi mate they def had air bags. The Senator was based on the Berlina, so air bag, climate air, self leveling suspension, electric windows etc. The clubbies were based on the Exec, so were more basic. But just be aware, back in the VR days you could spec a lot of stuff different. I literally worked for two brothers who each bought VR Senators back in the day (that’s when I fell in love with them) and one ordered his with the rear wing, and one didn’t for example. So there can lots of small option changes. This is the differences in the two steering wheels, I mean its a minor thing, but if you going to the trouble of restoring it would be nice to keep it correct.

I remember seeing a red VR/S HSV at GM Day last year that had a S Pac spoiler on it and the info panel said it was ordered from HSV like that. Wasn’t sure if it was true or not but what you have said make it true I guess.

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Thanks for confirming the air bag.

Is there any special about the HSV wheel (leather wraped) or colour?

Mine came with a momo (no wonder the horn doesn’t work) Im wondering where Im going to get a decent one from.. did you get yours trimmed?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No I restored mine, all the details are in my build thread, down near the bottom of the first page. Came up a treat. They do come up from time to time on eBay etc.

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

This is my interior, I hadn’t put the electric window switches back in though then, is that what you were after?

Thanks mate. This photo helps a lot. Your interior is clean. I have a lot of work to do :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Huge amount of work to get it back, but its one part of the car I loved when I first sat in it. At the time a bit or Euro luxury :)

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Bit of an update. Everytime I look at something off this car it needs fixing..lol

Repair rust bubble on rear window cause they didn’t take the screen out when they painted it.

Rebuild trip computer.. then got the rest of the dash rebuilt as fuel gauge was on its way out. Thanks Daniel commodore clusters.

NOS climate control version of demister switch.

New ebay indicator + cruz control buttons.

Interior light circuit had dead short so wiring from fuse box to boot replaced.

Roof cardboard shell was bent so wet it and glue to back into sharp as best I could and re covered it. (should have use the stronger Velcro I bought as new roof  lining still has a bit of a bow in it.

New power antenna from ebay (says it fit) but had to make it work..lol

NOS under bonnet lining made the engine bay look better. Clean cutting polish over spray through out engine bay as best I could.

Sourced 2 x rear quarter plastic trim with all clips and roof lining trim piece with all clips.

Bought mint leather wheel and mint second hand air bag + clock spring to put back in the air bag system which and been removed.

Put new senator decals on today and just notice the rear bar is warped..lol

NOS interior light cover and I have NOS 2 x rear interior lights coming.

Mint rear ashtrays and NOS door lock tabs. Car needs new bigger cranking battery and putting high torque starter in so its reliable.

Put new ebay gas struts boot and bonnet on.

Bough 3m of NOS senator seat trim and may get the front seat re bolstered and insert changed.

Put NOS front HSV badge as you dont paint a car and then put crack faded badges back on..lol

Steam cleaning interior next and service engine and gearbox.

My new plates are waiting at the RTA (217 HSV)

Guards are getting rolled next weekend as a safety thing so I can some Simmons 20’s on for fun.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Guzzler Guzzler.
    Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Bought this for $50 off holden. Dealer poster series No.1

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Fabulous, awesome to see mate.  Subscribed :)  Where did you score the rear ash trays from, I was only able to source a pair that were black?

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Fabulous, awesome to see mate. Subscribed :) Where did you score the rear ash trays from, I was only able to source a pair that were black?

Mine are black too..lol

I though they were going to be grey like the ebay pic I posted… but I have expensive grey paint I bought from the trimmer so I will paint the surround and tray like new.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool, good to know te the paint, I am going to do the same then. Thanks.

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Might be plenty of bits and pieces to take care of but at least one of the most expensive things (paint) has been done.

Keen to see it progress.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

I have expensive grey paint I bought from the trimmer so I will paint the surround and tray like new.

What is this paint you speak of Lloyd?

Profile photo of paul
    paul
    Participant

Hey Lloyd this isn’t a SV 5000

very nice, so what happened to it becoming your daily,,lol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.