HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLGMVL86 | 10.50 @ 129mph, Ls2, Vic Jr, Th350, 58oo Stall, Willwoods

This topic contains 357 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bdj_007 Bdj_007 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 359 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Time for tubs. Do it once do it properly

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Measured up the diff. it has to be 1394mm disc to disc. hope the diff guy knows what he is doing. i dont have alot of room for error!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ll measure the one I got at home tomorrow. Are u doing tubs also?

i still want those bloody rims FML.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

8.5″ rim 255/60 tyre?

Usually hear around 1300mm for diff although never sure if BUF or axle flange face of housing.End up with drum brakes.

While others say 50mm of each just enough to keep rear discs.

Standard wheel tubs

Ofcourse usual grind down seat bolt,lower control arm mods & some sledgie action to wheel tub,rear part is easy thin metal front is reinforced part harder to bash.

Then it’s either tap flat shock cover or snip it off..also be wary tyre clearance to bumper bar.

Got my vh sle to redo & vk executive thinking about doing but look all factory.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

My VL diff is as short as you can go. It up to the shocker mount using the drum brake conversion. I’ll measure face to face tonight.

I brought it off the bloke with the 8second White VLT COLSEY

His was untubbed at the time running that diff and a custom 15×8 5bs 255 et streets. But it was fairly raised in the ass end.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate seriously that looks bloody awesome.  If I was building another commie this would be it.  I would prob put a Calais nose on it and paint it that champagne colour (whatever its called) but seriously what a weapon.  Keep us posted mate so enjoying following this build.

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

8.5″ rim 255/60 tyre? Usually hear around 1300mm for diff although never sure if BUF or axle flange face of housing.End up with drum brakes. While others say 50mm of each just enough to keep rear discs. Standard wheel tubs Ofcourse usual grind down seat bolt,lower control arm mods & some sledgie action to wheel tub,rear part is easy thin metal front is reinforced part harder to bash. Then it’s either tap flat shock cover or snip it off..also be wary tyre clearance to bumper bar. Got my vh sle to redo & vk executive thinking about doing but look all factory.

You have given me alot to think about and look out for mate. Thank you for that!

I have upper and lower adjustable arms from Pro 9. so hopefully we should get it to fit in a position where the qtr lip isnt comprimised. But, no doubt will need a massage haha.

It’s an 8″ rim with 4″ backspace mate. Hoping the caliper will sit in the rim. i guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

I’ll measure the one I got at home tomorrow. Are u doing tubs also? i still want those bloody rims FML.

My VL diff is as short as you can go. It up to the shocker mount using the drum brake conversion. I’ll measure face to face tonight. I brought it off the bloke with the 8second White VLT COLSEY His was untubbed at the time running that diff and a custom 15×8 5bs 255 et streets. But it was fairly raised in the ass end.

haha you are more than welcome to try them on mate.

A definite no for tubs. i don’t want to cut it up!

Ah yes Shaun, he is a nice guy. He is mates with the guy that built my engine [Matt ‘Slim’ Smoores, red vk magnuson blown 9.1sec driven street car fstgmh].

I actually bought his rear shocks and 90/10’s. And yes it is still raised in the ass. A very vl turbo thing to do as well. Very quick car. Best of all its Andra teched.

If you need fittings, racepak etc see him. he owns Raceworks.

Mate seriously that looks bloody awesome. If I was building another commie this would be it. I would prob put a Calais nose on it and paint it that champagne colour (whatever its called) but seriously what a weapon. Keep us posted mate so enjoying following this build.

Too kind mate. I saw you shared the link to the build on facebook. I shared it again haha.

Do you mean like the gold vl calais ‘gdsgft’ [gods gift]?

Fair enough man. I love the Berlina front end. To me the calais front has been over done. Especially when you go to Summernats haha.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Bdj_007 Bdj_007.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea that’s the colour, nothing wrong with the Berlina front btw!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You in good hands with Matt Smoores.

Why dont u want to cut it? Just the inner wheel arches. That’s all.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Nothing wrong with minitubs.Not necessary BUT does ensure you’ll fit rims/tyres you want & have sitting the way it’s meant to.

Particularly if you want it to still look factory is split tub down middle,cut the inside tub out then trim shell down to chassis rail for extra 1-2 inch clearance.

Trimming metal down & prep friggin’ crazy amount of hours required to keep factory look though.

Refit factory inner tub with 1-2 inch strip.Neatest looking way to do it & majority of people wouldn’t know unless they owned similar car.

Mind you can achieve same result with some strategic sledgie action + few other tricks…car may sit touch higher than you want though.

Bonus is fraction of the labour time required…

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy.
    Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

You in good hands with Matt Smoores. Why dont u want to cut it? Just the inner wheel arches. That’s all.

He’s a gentleman man. I have alot of time for him. I do the paint work on both his and his mrs cars.

Still not cutting it up. I want to keep the body as it came from the factory besides a few extra holes haha. Modifying tubs and that sort of thing doesn’t interest me.

Nothing wrong with minitubs.Not necessary BUT does ensure you’ll fit rims/tyres you want & have sitting the way it’s meant to. Particularly if you want it to still look factory is split tub down middle,cut the inside tub out then trim shell down to chassis rail for extra 1-2 inch clearance. Trimming metal down & prep friggin’ crazy amount of hours required to keep factory look though. Refit factory inner tub with 1-2 inch strip.Neatest looking way to do it & majority of people wouldn’t know unless they owned similar car. Mind you can achieve same result with some strategic sledgie action + few other tricks…car may sit touch higher than you want though. Bonus is fraction of the labour time required…

I gotcha mate. being a spray painter i know whats involved unpicking and modifying the tubs. You are right, there is nothing wrong with it, but, its just not for me. most of my mates have tubbed theirs and it doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. Body says the way it left the factory apart from a few extra holes.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

So u can paint you say…….. :yes:

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

So u can paint you say……..

I don’t understand this statement haha

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Got my Spicer gears back from HPSF [high performance surface finishing] in Carrum Downs and they came up bloody awesome!

I can vouch for this isotropic polish, it really makes the gears go the distance. It reduces the friction and the whine like you wouldn’t believe. but, mainly prelongs the life of the gears

Before:

After:

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Got stuck into the bay yesterday. Got everything i wanted to be gone and welded done.

Now a little bit of fine filler and its ready for primer! [not full smoothing out. just cleaning it up]

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking great.

Whay I meant was, I need someone to paint my bay lol

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

How did you go with the diff dude? Got any measurements?

Was hoping you’d do an indepth on engine bays so I can learn more lol.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 359 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.