This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Made a start on the driver’s seat mount only to find I didn’t have the material I needed to make them, quick trip to Bendigo as usual, on the way back stopped at the post office as my telescopic steering shaft was in.

Better than expected mod wise to make it work as it uses the same uni joints as the Holden shaft, pressed the Holden end on, easy as, other end was a little more involved.

Cut the small end off but it has a weird for Japan 5/8″ shaft so too small for my 19mm uni’s, turned up a press fit sleeve, bored it to size then after pulling the shaft apart welded it back together being careful not to overheat it and melt the rubber on the splines..

Back in the Lathe and turned the weld down so it’s pretty, slapped some paint on and it’s good to go soon as I make the coupler and bearing support.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice!

Profile photo of

A much more elegant way of doing it and should save time when doing ride height changes!

Profile photo of

Somewhere to sit!

Profile photo of

Machined up the Bearing support for the lower column, I’ll have three bolts around it to hold it into the tube after its welded into the firewall.

The bearings I’m using are exactly 19mm so the 3/4 uni joints I got won’t work (19.2mm) so off to Melbourne again… Nice day for a drive.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Neat as always!!  3/4″ is actually 19.05 ;-)

Profile photo of

Neat as always!! 3/4″ is actually 19.05

Not in China  :-)

——————–

And Home, success in a round about way per usual, they don’t make a Uni with a smaller hole, but they do have one to suit a 9/16 spline, ran a drill through it and splines be gone!

Profile photo of

Just spent the last 4 hours fixing broken pics in this thread, if anyone spots anything I’ve missed or anything new broken can you pm me the page number and I’ll get on it!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Neat as always!! 3/4″ is actually 19.05

Not in China  

Lol

Profile photo of

LOL serious. I have a bunch of em, all measure up as 19.2mm  :unsure:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Whats a decimal place amongst friends…

Profile photo of

Might have been a sunny Day.. :yes:

Profile photo of

Done for the day, just have to clearence and weld the tube into the firewall..

Profile photo of

Got a bit bored, went back down, looks good feels like shit, I think I’m going to have to out a rag joint in just after the steering quickener…

Profile photo of

If there’s a easy way and a hard way to do something give me time and I’ll invent an even harder way…

I went back to the split couplers after a 4am brainwave, turned up some oversize shafts pressed them in and welded them, pulled the splined shaft out of the steering box then tightened the coupler and turned it so when it’s tight it runs true.

Started with a new unbent column and made everything on centre, not so critical now with the added uni joints, of course when I reassembled the final uni a needle roller must have escaped and broke as I pressed it back together.. DOH

Another trip to Melbourne to grab a spare uni, just need to make a new mount up and hopefully it’s all good <fingers crossed>

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

There’s a bit of work and thought has gone into that mate!!  Nice work.

Profile photo of

Hopefully I can get around the binding issues that have been there since day one of the Lexcen..

Profile photo of

One forward one back one to the side then one forward again…

Profile photo of

The angle on the 2nd uni was too severe, it was binding and I had to linish it to clear, this made it a bit thin and weak, so after I had to get a new joint to replace a couple of broken needle rollers I rethought the angles, just had to move it 15mm towards the steering wheel, all good now, just took half a day on the lathe to remake that section..

Profile photo of

Ok just had to make up the bracket to hold the steering box in place, yeah 20 minute job… bzzz, 5 hours later it’s done..

I’m glad I made the trip up during the week to check out Craig and Brett s car as it runs the same setup, mine now feels much the same, without that I’d have been a bit disappointed after all this effort.

The overcentre notchiness is gone, it’s just a bit stiff but that won’t be noticeable in use, there is a point where you run into Holden’s shit attempt at variable ratio so there’s a little bind either side of centre.

My rack may also be not 100% but I have a spare there I’ll reco at some point, all that’s left is to weld up the firewall but CBF’d today.

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.