HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralSuspensionAstra Electric Power Steering Conversion

This topic contains 40 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nick Nick 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nah literally its hard against the block. I drilled out the holes in the mounting bracket to allow me to get it as hard as i could to the side. Actually today while I was playing around I had a bit of a look, actually the power steering isn’t that ugly. I think I will put it on the back burner until I do a bit of a power upgrade later in the year, that may or may not include a vacuum pump which will need a rethink of the belts anyhow.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Wow didn’t know they existed, will have a think about that :)

Yeah Subarus run them but they can be a pain in the butt to fit, and are generally a replace item whenever it has to come off the engine. Also, steer away from Dayco belts – they tend to squeal, I generally use Gates brand or some form of oem belt.

I sell Dayco ones all the time and have never had that issue. Even used them myself. They have change their design recently (with in the last 2 years) to a W profile to help avoid with squealing belts and cracking. Now they just wear down like a tyre, they have a tool to check the depth on them so you know when to change them.

As said the stretch belts can be a pain but if you aren’t pulling it a part to often you should be fine. The tool itself is about $100 from memory, the one we sell is made by SP. Enjoy your car until you get bored then start tinkering again. But at least the info is here for when you revisited the idea in the future.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Enjoy your car until you get bored then start tinkering again. But at least the info is here for when you revisited the idea in the future.

I think is on the money, time to just drive it and enjoy it until the novelty wears off… But as you say now I have the info when the time comes, thanks all.

Profile photo of Brockfan05
    Brockfan05
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey NickVR. I was just going with my experience of Dayco belts. Have them on both my cars and also customers have purchased them for me to fit and almost all of them squeal. I wasn’t aware Dayco had changed their manufacturing so I will see what happens. Appreciate the feedback on them though.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Don’t know if you want this or not but someone on fb put an electric powersteering pump from an astra in a Rambler or something. He told me how he wired it up so i took a screenshot in case i went that way.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s an excellent write up, especially re using the oil pressure sensor to turn it on, cheers for that, great info.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

No worries. Bit disappointed i couldn’t work out which particular pump he used because it was completely hidden and he wasn’t sure either. I know of 3 different electric pumps in various models of astra but not sure if all have same wiring setup. I know they use a couple of different coloured connectors but no idea if basic wiring similar.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep there is TRW type1, TRW type 2, or ZF, not sure either if the wiring is the same.

Profile photo of BTS666.0
    BTS666.0
    Participant

Am thinking I will go this way with the vz constant headache/money muncher. New turbo and setup coming soon after engine bay fire.

...so I said "orange ya glad I didn't say banana?"........hahahaha.....hhhmmmm...pffft.....

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Am thinking I will go this way with the vz constant headache/money muncher. New turbo and setup coming soon after engine bay fire.

What caused the fire? I had a oil line from the turbo feed burst which caused a small fire with my old setup on the VY.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Michael Michael.
    BTS666.0
    Participant

A stick hit the power steer line, put a pinhole in it, sprayed the wrapped crossover and lit up. Burnt wiring and all sorts of stuff. Will be getting the new setup cerama coated or whatever it is.

...so I said "orange ya glad I didn't say banana?"........hahahaha.....hhhmmmm...pffft.....

BTS666.0
    Participant

Anybody have a part number for the astra pump for a vz so I can order it?  Seems googgllee isnt the be all and end all

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

I don’t have the part number but the smaller pumps (picture on first post) are found in AH series model Astra.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Profile photo of Nick Nick.
    BTS666.0
    Participant

This guy makes a bracket for just alternator.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/381753768601320/permalink/1507370789372940/?sale_post_id=1507370789372940&rt=11

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

I’m currently half way through doing this conversion and it has been pretty straight forward so far.
    Making an aluminum bracket with my mate for the pump soon, wiring and plumbing is already sorted.

Car is still off the road so I’m doing bits and pieces when I can be bothered.

BTS666.0
    Participant

throw up some pics as you go. keen to see the brackets for holding the pump

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

This guy makes a bracket for just alternator. https://www.facebook.com/groups/381753768601320/permalink/1507370789372940/?sale_post_id=1507370789372940&rt=11

A good mate of mine and myself originally designed, developed and manufactured these alternator only kits. Then Daniel Kleisterlee got his hands on one and started to make copies and undercut us.  :facepalm:

BTS666.0
    Participant

This guy makes a bracket for just alternator. https://www.facebook.com/groups/381753768601320/permalink/1507370789372940/?sale_post_id=1507370789372940&rt=11

A good mate of mine and myself originally designed, developed and manufactured these alternator only kits. Then Daniel Kleisterlee got his hands on one and started to make copies and undercut us.

Nice. Who do you sell through? I’ll be looking for one by the end of the year.

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Nice. Who do you sell through? I’ll be looking for one by the end of the year.

Sorry mate, we sold the last of the kits a few months ago and there isn’t a plan to make anymore at the moment.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If anyone is doing this sort of stuff and has a drawing or sketch, I am always happy to model it up in 3D CAD so someone can get it NC machined if they want.   Most likely do that for nicks, but could also for a small cost 3D print a prototype through Build Ninja if ya wanted.  Just throwing it out there.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.