HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelineWhat diff gearing are people running? Pros and cons

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading my diff gearing in my 5L Auto ute currently 3:08 and wanted some honest feedback on what people have/or are using.

The car isn’t an everyday car so economy isn’t my concern, I just didn’t want to go to high e.g. 4:11 if it will affect the car on freeways.

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Diff selection is a good one for those guys that think power is everything, and torque doesnt matter. A diff is a torque multiplier.  The lower the ratio (higher number) the more torque will be transferred to the road. So with 4.11 you will feel more push in your back as it gets the car moving compared to 3.08. But as you mention the downside is revs at highway speed, or in a drag car rpm as it hits the stripe. Your car 3.9 is my vote.  (Sorry for the long reply)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

IMO 3.7 is perfect for the 304/4speed.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Interesting info thanks Gary.

Its always a tuff choice because i don’t want to do this twice.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

3,46:1… only because it’s the only ratio available for my front Diffs.. would prefer 4.11:1 for the Track car.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

i’ve got 3.9’s in my vs v8 auto, i wouldn’t go 4.11’s as it would probably rev a fair bit when you just want to cruise, mine seems to rev about 2200rpm there abouts, been a while since it was on the road and i cant remember exactly

a mate of mine had 3.45’s and went 3.73’s and said it’s still not quite enough, also a vs v8 auto

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks for the feedback guys this is why i love the forum, always different thoughts and no bulls$@t.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I ran 3.45 gears in my old VN V6/T5.  Very good car to drive (I’m still a big fan of the old cog swappers) and still say to this day that it was more fun to drive than my Senator with 304/4L60e/3.08 gears even though it has more power/torque.

1st gear was very short and badly traction limited even with good tyres and very tight LSD, would happily cruise around town at 55-60km/h in 5th, cruised on the motorway at just over 2000rpm and was no worse on fuel economy, I’d actually go so far and say it improved.

Profile photo of BLOWNVS
    BLOWNVS
    Participant

I got some 3.7s to suit m78 borgwarner diff for sale if you’re interested. They are surplus to my requirements as they aren’t suited to my new turbo combination.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I guess you know this, but you currently have 3.08:1, so lets say you went to 4.11:1. So that’s an increase in number of times the wheel rotates for any given engine speed of 4.11/3.08 = 1.33

So rpm wise times whatever revs its doing now by 1.33 and it will tell you what the new revs would be at any given speed. So if it was doing say 2,200 rpm at 100 km/h (a guess), it will now do 2,200 x 1.33 = 2,936rpm.

As I say, gears are a torque multiplier.  So the torque that was previously transmitted to the wheels will now be 1.33 x what it was before, hence the push in the back, and why 4.11’s get the car moving from a standstill quicker.

That’s why in drag racing there is a saying torque gets you out of the hole, power gives you mph.  Yes I know power wins races, but you can’t just ignore torque, in fact its getting the car moving and the push in the back which makes it so important (imo) for a road car.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

I’ve had 3.89’s in my VQ for going on 7 years now. Great ratio. sits on 2250rpm on the highway. Don’t get caught into this ‘it’ll rev too hard on the highway/kill economy’. It’s a crock. you might be revving slightly higher but there is less load on the engine so they basically cancel each other out.

Don’t bother with 3.45’s in a stock aspirated engine. 3.89’s at least, maybe 4.11’s.

I wouldn’t worry about running out of revs on the strip either – how often do you actually race? Hits on the street are more 1/8th mile anyway. Gear it up!

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have just booked the ute in for the diff on monday for 3.7s decided it was the best all round and suits the supercharger a bit better.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have just booked the ute in for the diff on monday for 3.7s decided it was the best all round and suits the supercharger a bit better.

Cool, post up once its done how it feels compared to the old 3.08s

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Got 3:73s in mine. Its a good ratio compared to the 3:08. Good cruising gears and not bad on the highway either. I think my tacho might be out (I know my speedo is) because it sits on about 3k at 110kph. But my tacho is a bit dodgy but I will leave that for another thread.

Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

NickVR – Is yours a V8 conversion?

If so the cluster will still think its a 6 and will be receiving 33% more pulses than it expects, so will read higher.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

NickVR – Is yours a V8 conversion? If so the cluster will still think its a 6 and will be receiving 33% more pulses than it expects, so will read higher.

Shouldn’t do, VR V6 and V8’s used the same diffs/transmissions with the same VSS so there is no difference between V6 and V8 in terms of speedo signal as far as I am aware.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

NickVR – Is yours a V8 conversion? If so the cluster will still think its a 6 and will be receiving 33% more pulses than it expects, so will read higher.

Shouldn’t do, VR V6 and V8’s used the same diffs/transmissions with the same VSS so there is no difference between V6 and V8 in terms of speedo signal as far as I am aware.

speedo no. Revs yes

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes it is a conversion. I put the cluster in from the wreck I got the 5ltr out of. Also tried three other clusters mixing and matching boards and tachos and no luck. Thinking it might be the ignition module, I have been told that it can sometimes be the issue.

Yeah, tacho is the only thing different from what I found out.

speedo no. Revs yes

As I thought Cav. Only the tacho is diffferent, and even then it should read incorrectly not erratically.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of NickVR NickVR.
    Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Got 3.7s in my one! Made huge difference from 3.08, go a Harrop center while you at it. Best coin I spent careful tho as one that fits 3.7s doesn’t fit 4.11 so make sure you are 100% first. Think Harrop center was around a grand

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Put 3.7’s in brother’s vs maloo,daily driver 50/50 motorway driving suited car very well still had good economy & for basic mods on car went wayyyy better than it should have just memcal,full exhaust exhaust & hsv s3 airbox etc,shift kit.

Small stally in it would have made perfect.

Getting speedo & shifts corrected was a pain in arse.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.