This topic contains 46 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Ok, just a couple of things i want to check against my VS 5lt

1. Can Someone take a few pictures of the Dipstick, the one i’ve been supplied looks different to my last one,  this one bents back towards the rocker cover, whereas the last one bent towards the alternator more.

2. not engine related but, need to know the way the window washer hose is routed from where it comes off the bonnet, does it goes somewhere through the scuttle panel?

Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

thats the way the dipstick on mine seems to bend, ill grab a picture of the way the washer hose goes tomorrow, it does come out on the passenger side of the scuttle panel near the windscreen

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

mine runs down the passenger side bonnet hinge and then i routed it through the side of the inner body panel near the power arial then ran it up to the washer bottle.

keeps the bay clean.

I also shortened the filler neck on the washer bottle so it just pokes through in the bay.

check my build for pics.

My dipstick is exactly the same as yours on my vs.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

The first engine i had was from a vt calais, dipstick must be different to suit the different alternator. the one i have in this engine is like the one in the photo above, so thats ok i was worried it might be off an old holden v8- this confirms its a VN-VS era one.

as for the washer hose i removed the conduit that’s in the inside of the bay, as it doesn’t quite close anymore. no wiring this there anymore, its all been re routed through the guard so its just the 2 hoses thats left. the other one being the vacuum canister hose. i cant run mine on the inside of the guard as i have a majority of my ignition wiring running through there.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

Washer hose goes through that rubber grommet where the a/c pipe goes and then loops around and comes out the top corner of the scuttle panel and then connects to the bonnet

Also does anyone know which way the fuel lines from the fuel rail connect to the car?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah i thought it went through the grommet, just couldn’t see where it came back out from, that 2nd pic is what i needed- thanks

as for the VS Fuel lines

thatotherguy94
    Participant

thanks for that

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

got another question

will the VS dash cluster oil pressure light go out once the engine has been turned over or once the engine is running?

thatotherguy94
    Participant

I think it goes out once its running, ill check my Calais in the morning

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

got another question will the VS dash cluster oil pressure light go out once the engine has been turned over or once the engine is running?

That depends on how long you turn it over and how quickly it fires.  Generally speaking , mine goes out after the engine starts but I know in the past when testing something and we didn’t have the ignition connected the engine oil light did go out after it had been turned over a few times on the starter.  If I’m not mistaken the pressure switch is only something like 4 or 5 psi so it doesn’t take a lot of pressure in the system to go out.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

im trying to work out if mine has oil pressure

brand new engine so, pump is packed with vas, we then filled oil filter then the engine with run in oil, pulled the plugs out and put some oil down the inside of the piston, as a precaution and turned it over on the starter, with no plugs.

at first the Autometer oil pressure gauge i have went up to just under 60psi, but then we stopped to check for leaks when looked again it wouldn’t read at all.

i know the dash light comes up but am unsure it it turns off once it has built up pressure, or once the car runs runs

just a bit worried that it may not have pressure, And now that you mentioned it i looked up the tridon oil pressure switch specs (Normally Closed 2-6 PSI, Normally Open 2.5-9 PSI)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

im trying to work out if mine has oil pressure brand new engine so, pump is packed with vas, we then filled oil filter then the engine with run in oil, pulled the plugs out and put some oil down the inside of the piston, as a precaution and turned it over on the starter, with no plugs. at first the Autometer oil pressure gauge i have went up to just under 60psi, but then we stopped to check for leaks when looked again it wouldn’t read at all. i know the dash light comes up but am unsure it it turns off once it has built up pressure, or once the car runs runs

New pump?

If so did you pull it apart and make sure the pressure relief is free of burrs and debris?

Ditto if it’s a second hand pump.

I’ve had a few jam open or closed in the past, open it drops pressure, closed it bursts the filter.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah its brand new, i didnt build the engine but it was built by a reputable builder.

Profile photo of

A stuck relief can catch out even the best…

Verify the Autometer gauge is still working using a compressor, if it’s still reading the relief is about the only thing it might be, do you have a remote filter on it by any chance?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

no standard filter setup running a ryco filter

Profile photo of

no standard filter setup running a ryco filter

ok rules that out then..

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Gauge works fine, tested it like you said, when we pulled the switches out and there dry

so pulling the pump off to check the valves and repack it

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I had this happen doing a simple oil change, no pressure.  Removed and pack pump, no pressure.  Strip and clean pump, pack again, no pressure.

Stripped whole engine, found nothing.  Rebuilt, new pump, new filter and it had pressure……

I never did find anything wrong with the old pump (other than regular wear and tear for 120,000km’s)  so the only think left was the filter?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Checked the valves, they seem OK, repack the pump, see if it works now

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Nope, still reading 0 psi on the autometer gauge

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.