This topic contains 449 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 4 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MANTA 185i
    MANTA 185i
    Participant
    • Kiama
    • VS HSV Manta 185i. A 600hp 383ci weapon wrapped in a stock shell.

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Big job mate. Look forward to seeing it all done. There cannot be much left in the car you don’t know. Lol.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

There is nothing in the car i dont know these days

So the debat was massive on witch pipe size would suit best so i went with my gut and got a 1 3/4 engine flange mostly because thats the only one they do

And i will die grind that out tonsuit heads and pipe

Then got 8 by 1 7/8 inch 90 degree bends to come straight of that plate and will be around 6-8 inches (ill make them all the same)

Then the rest all in 2 inch down to a 4 into 1 flange with a 3.5 inch out let

Of that i will fit 3.5 inch cats and if i can ill fit 3.5 inch spiral mufflers iv been seeing and then it will turn towads my X pipe where it will step down to my existing twin 3 system

That should flow enough im thinking

Once new pipes are made ill have my 5002 pacemakers that have been hpc coated with 3 inch pipe to rear of gear box up for grabs

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Keep us posted, following this :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Thought you could buy adaptor plates to run 2″ Primaries?

(maybe that was for SBC)

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Nar apparently the bolt holes for holden heads don’t allow 2 inch pipes

but DPE exhaust only make a 1 3/4 plate but I’ll die grind this out as large as possible, I’m goin to try my hardest and if I can I’ll make 2 inch fit straight up but if not I have a plan, maybe a tad of bashing the pipes may alow them to fit, I’ll soon find out

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Take lots of pics :XD:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

So I’m continuing on my fix up stuff inside my car, all my stupid switches are gone and this is now smoothed done and ready for either paint  for stereo part and/or suede witch ever I decide to do on gear surround

and because I no longer have a/c or a heater or a fan or ducts it seams pretty useless to have the switches there for it so I did this

I do have a couple switches I’ll be using here next to stereo, such as thermo fan over ride, they are controled from ecu but I have a over ride, and fuel cut of so if I every get a leak I can cut fuel and it will conk out and depressurise lines, also a switch to turn the lights on and off the gauges as gauges at night can get annoying when run straight of the lights

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This thing is like painting the Sydney harbor bridge, as soon as its finished you go back and start all over again :)  Should look much cleaner though, nice work.  I guess you can do this whilst you wait for the header welds to cool ;-)

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

It is with a few things thats for sure

I wish 2 years ago i knew what i know today

But lets be honest, the switches looked gay and it will be ten times neater with only a couple up at the old ac control panel

Wiring is a million times better and this time im happy   :yahoo:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Well harness for LS1 PCM is almost complete and will be sent next week I’m doin one more task before tune

im making a custom set of extractors, 1 7/8 inch for 10 inches then into 2 inch primary’s for 20-23 inches with 4 into 1 collectors into either the 4 inch that srink down to 3.5 in this picture or a set of slip on merge collectors

also using 3.5 inch cats and a set of 3.5 inch Moroso mufflers before it connects to my existing twin 3 inch system

I have also found a place that sells e85 not all that far from me so a flex sensor is on the cards

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of vs manta 218 vs manta 218.
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

So started making pipes from cyilenders 1 and 3 to start with, I’m definetly getting some slip on collectors and each pipe is individually fitted

first problem was was the flange didn’t even fit, so had to grind down some spots, this is just rough as and just getting it fitted, I’ll smooth them up and round all the out sides nicely soon

So first was getting the 1 7/8 parts on and these are 8 inches long and in my case I had to make cyilendar 1 clear the alternator

Then can see here iv gone under the engine mount with these 2 pipes as that gives me heaps of room for pipes on pots 5 and 7

So these 2 pipes ended up looking like this so far and both come out near bell housing ready for when the collectors turn up I can add the rest to connect up

these 2 pipes where fearly easy and are the longest that had to be done so this is the length I’m sticking to now

Then I got the two 8 inch long part onto cyilendar a 5 and 7 and will continue on tomorrow

This is all only tacked together at the moment, I’ll bend cyilendar 7 out slightly to match no.5 but numbers 1 and 3 are staying inwards like that

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Making 4 into 1 fit in a VS  is a mission exspecially when I’m trying to make them all the same length

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Got the drivers side all made up just got to weld them up and then do he cat and connect it to existing exhaust

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

</p>

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Don’t  worrie about the scrambled info Inbetween pics above, it’s something to do with Samsung and Apple devices playing havock with each other and copying and pasting the info from exhaust thread I have didn’t help either

so drivers side is all made up, just need to weld it all up now, all the pipes are extremly close to been the same length and all are 1 7/8 for 8 inches and then step up to 2 inch with a slip on merge collector at 3.5 inch

pipes 1, 3, and 7 are 42 inches long and 5 is 40 inches long

this was not easy, it was hard, very hard, it took me Something like 25+  hours to make this side up but I think I will do the next side a lot quicker now I have a good idea what I’m doin

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Done

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Well doesnt look like to many are interested in me building my own extractors except those on the exhaust thread but anyway here is some pics of finished results, my brother in law is tig welding it all up for me

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looks the goods mate.

So what’s next? Any chance of some back to back Dyno pulls?

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Nice work!

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes cava that is precisely the plan

justan is taking a little longer with the harness then I expected, it is 99% done but am awaiting a call to go over it 100% to ensure its all correct but that time is what comes with good workers with great products

1 thing I will modify is extending the 2 O2 sensors down the gear box harness and out to each collector so I don’t need any extensions

apart from that all my wiring under dash is sorted and finished, the gear surround and stereo surround is painted except I left it in the sun and it’s now got tiny bubbles from heat so needs a sand and paint again witch is minor

and last but most importantly I have found a e85 servo out where I work, so I’m grabbing 4 new 44gallon drums in the next week or 2 and filling them up here and running it on e85

should only be be a couple weeks till harness is here and extractors are HPC coated and final fitted then tune time on LS pcm

also I have a lap top now and just need to purchase EFI live

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 451 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.