This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Slidin Slidin 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

Hey guys just went and brought myself a nice Vs Acclaim and wanting to do it up slowly over time, wondering what I should do first any helps appreciated! Looking at getting subs,exhaust,speakers,lowered,body kit (possibly), any other bits and pieces I should look into? Cheers 

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, imo I reckon the VR/S doesn’t need a lot done to it to make it look nice.  I reckon all cars look better lower.  So a nice set of SL springs will drop it about 40mm, and make it sit much nicer.  Most people swap your orange side indicators in the front guards to clear oval ones off the later VS, they are a simple 5 minute swap job to fit.  Then i reckon its just wheels, which are a very personal thing, and you have a very tidy cruiser mate, nice.

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

Cheers I will definitely look into it and see how I go! Radio gets installed tomorrow and get a mechanic to look at it see what it needs for the road

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Gary has basically covered it. One thing I like to see is when people get big wheels they get the brakes to match. Then when you go more power you will have problem pulling it up too.

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

I’m looking at doing brakes over time but shame I can’t drive the car til I’m at least 18! how much would decent brakes be all round ?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Depends what your after mate. I’ve got a brake kit I’ll be selling very soon.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not trying to do Cava out of a sale, but if your 18 I am assuming you aren’t flushed with cash.  I reckon just concentrate on some aesthetic things first.  Mechanicals like brakes and power upgrades can come later.  Just my opinion though :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

my brakes look good to LOL 

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

my brakes look good to LOL

I will pay that, that’s actually pretty good :yes:

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

Im turning 17 in June and don’t have a lot of cash to splash around, the vs wouldn’t start today but installed new plugs and leads and got it running heaps better

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work getting it sorted mate. Just take it slow, no need to spend money you dont have.

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

Cheers I appreciate it, are any of you guys good with radios? Want to install the pioneer head unit it came with, I went and brought electrical terminals that clip the wires together but I’m lost when it comes to what wires go where and get subs in two weeks

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

The wiring harness is there but don’t have one for the head unit itself so looking at cutting it off and joining the wires straight from the radio to the car

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of Slidin Slidin.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

If you head to Repco/Supercheap/Autobarn etc, you should be able to buy a harness to plug into the head unit itself and then to the standard Holden harness. Not expensive. Very easy. :good:

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

Connecting up now just got speakers to do then done cheers for all the input guys!

Update: radio installed and working nice

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of Slidin Slidin.
    Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

My thoughts on first car mods.

Brakes, Suspension, Tyres.

Don’t worry about power mods until the above is done. You’ll get much more out of those mods while you get more experience driving than trying to make a car with poor brakes and boat-like suspension go faster. Down the line when you want more power, you have the foundation to make it useable.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of [TUFFVQ] [TUFFVQ].
    Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

Cheers mate will definitely look into it, somethings up with the hand brake too doesn’t work unless it’s in park pretty much? And head gaskets might have a problem too

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

Can anyone give me any info on how this muffler goes? Is it worth the money? If not what would you guys recommend? 

Profile photo of Slidin
    Slidin
    Participant

If you’s can’t see it, it’s a DEA performance 2.5″ Vr/s dual exit muffler for $175

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I dont think a muffler on its own is going to do much mate. maybe make it noisier but performance wise you wont see gains.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.