This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I cant wait, bit of a long list of people I want to take for a thank you squirt. Winton is a goer, just a matter of time. I have become a bit OCD about getting it legal, can not wait for that day though.. Truly means a lot all the kind words etc, bloody nice to know you have other people following and enjoying the build :)

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Will be good to have it legal that’s for sure

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well my love of bits is well documented :)

Whilst I am waiting for the engineer to finish his report, project Powerglide is well under way. Yesterday a nice little piece of the puzzle arrived. I have never been accused of doing anything by halves, Read case, best you can get :)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

U owe me a drive..  and a bloody long skid.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

U owe me a drive.. and a bloody long skid.

Profile photo of MANTA 185i
    MANTA 185i
    Participant
    • Kiama
    • VS HSV Manta 185i. A 600hp 383ci weapon wrapped in a stock shell.

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi Gary,

Im back and following with interest. :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good stuff, feel like I am sort of in a bit of a holding pattern at the moment. I have to wait for the engineer to finish writing his report. He’s been brilliant all the way through, and I guess it’s not just a run of the mill LS1 conversion so he has to get it right.

Cars up on the lift at the moment, going to do an oil change on the week end. It seems to be running beautifully, so it really is all set to go pretty much as soon as I get the report.

Apparently the trans place is expecting the nice gear set for the glide early next week So that is happening too.

On a side note, fantastic to see so many familiar guys and gals coming across to the new forum, of course was little nervous how it would all pan out but no bullshit a couple of days back I got on in the morning and saw a page full of new posts and thought, yep, just like SC used to be. Of course still a ways to go to get it right up there but ther are some great builds and post on here.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

so how is it you can get this legal with trumpets? I thought they were a no no?

and another fan of the build.. Next car cruise etc I will have to try and get out to see it!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, what I have learnt is nothing is a no go. It depends on the results. I have full filtering which includes intake air temp sensor and also crank case venting. So my intake isn’t really any different to a regular manifold (which have trumpets) it’s just instead of one throttle body I have 8. But it also of does depend on the engineer, and what they are prepared to fight/argue for.

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

On a side note, fantastic to see so many familiar guys and gals coming across to the new forum, of course was little nervous how it would all pan out but no bullshit a couple of days back I got on in the morning and saw a page full of new posts and thought, yep, just like SC used to be. Of course still a ways to go to get it right up there but there are some great builds and post on here.

It’s a testament to how strong the commodore/holden scene is, and how completely useless the owners of SC were….

It’s a shame that an enormous amount of useful info might die with SC though

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

It’s a shame that an enormous amount of useful info might die with SC though

Amen to that, couldn’t not possible agree more. I have 100 pages of my build, some great dialog and discussion and input from other members that will be lost as i can only really transfer over my own posts. Its not just me I know there are heaps of other builds and tech threads that will be lost. But I guess life goes on, at least now we all have somewhere to start again. And I make this promise this forum will never be left to die while my ass points to the ground. I would/will simply give it to someone else to run if I cant for whatever reason. Its the reason for the $20 donations, the plan from the start was to make something that just is self sustaining. If there is a little bit of money in the kitty, we can maintain and upgrade it over time so there is no reason at all it should ever fall into decay.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Its the reason for the $20 donations, the plan from the start was to make something that just is self sustaining. If there is a little bit of money in the kitty, we can maintain and upgrade it over time so there is no reason at all it should ever fall into decay.

Well I will just point out that everyone on this page is a donating member (Expect Cav, What the Fuck Mate!!!)

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

How have you found the varex? quality, operation etc? I was thinking about mounting one to act as my centre muffler. I need to shut my exhaust up on the street its idle is probably 90dB lol

Does it make a muffled ‘exhaust leak’ type sound when fully shut? And does it sound bad fully open as opposed to say straight pipe? as some gas would still bounce around the muffler changing the note.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Its the reason for the $20 donations, the plan from the start was to make something that just is self sustaining. If there is a little bit of money in the kitty, we can maintain and upgrade it over time so there is no reason at all it should ever fall into decay.

Well I will just point out that everyone on this page is a donating member (Expect Cav, What the Fuck Mate!!!)

i needs credit card facility Barry

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Fitting one in the mid muffler will be a tight fit

They are not small exspecially if it’s a 3 inch or twin 3 inch

In got twin 3 inchs varex mufflers on the rear and yes they don’t sound as good as the manga flow mufflers I had before but they do shut it up a lot

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea agree pretty much with Pete. With mine which is just the one at the rear, it sounds pretty puffy when its closed but does quieten it down a lot. When its open, tbh when giving it the welly its hard to pick. With mine when its going off, the main thing you hear inside the car is the induction roar through the trumpets, and gets pretty busy so your not really thinking to much about the sound. I think you can get an oval muffler with the open/close mechanism on the side, that might work as a centre muffler, but you would have to check the size etc.

Marzella
    Participant

Hmm thanks guys.. bad thing is im running 3.5″ which massively limits muffler selection so was thining about using the 7″ round varex muffler with the actuator mounted sideways where the mid mufflers usually go on the VS.

Its a 355 and all I have atm is turbo into 3.5″ completely straight through all the way to a rear magnaflow resonator, not the best way to avoid unwanted attention on the street.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah to run one in the middle your car would have to be very high ride height or start chopping some steel and foam out of your rear seat and box it up a bit

Iv got 2 3 inch varex muffler on the rear iv got pics on my thread witch is couple done the list in the vs manta build

Marzella
    Participant

Yeah to run one in the middle your car would have to be very high ride height or start chopping some steel and foam out of your rear seat and box it up a bit Iv got 2 3 inch varex muffler on the rear iv got pics on my thread witch is couple done the list in the vs manta build

Yea cheers, i did have a look at yours.. i think id have enough ground clearance with a 7″ round one and the actuator motor mounted sideways not upright but i guess if i cant shut it up ill just replace my rear muffler..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I wouldn’t have thought my center mufflers are no deeper than 178mm (7″) so it might work. Maybe you bite the bullet and swap it to a twin, and go twin 3″ or even twin 2.5″. I am not Mr Turbo, so unsure what that would do to performance of course, but just give you more options muffler wise.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.