This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Them difillipno mufflers are 4 inches think where the varex is 6 inches thick

So your ground clearance between mufflers and ground would loose another 50mm and thats only of you can get it that high as it’s a bit longer to I think

And that’s a 3 inch not a 3.5 inch

What’s wrong with sticking it on the rear as there would be enough room back there and getting a 3.5 inch muffler for the middle ??

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Were just kicking ideas around Pete, nothing wrong with doing it as you suggest, but there’s more than one way to skin a cat :) Just measured my Di Phillipos, they are just shy of 150mm deep, but they are 3″ of course.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well oil change and filter done, really like how the under guard set up works with the filter etc, simple to get too, no dribbling oil everywhere when you undo it. Running sweet as, not a lot to do really on it until the engineer report arrives :(

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Wow I really didn’t think they where quite that thick, very deceiving when looking at them

So if he can get a 3.5 inch varex in a side mount motor like above he might be able to make it fit

A mate had a 3.5 varex in the middle of a vn, but like I said earlier he had to cut out foam from his rear seat and box a section up for the motor

Anything can be done, where there is a will there is a way

Just out of curiosity how crank is the car because just a good mid muffler might make it a lot quiter as well

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

I didn’t get to see the build thread on this one at the SC forums
    I’ve just finished reading through it. What an achievement. Extremely tidy restoration.

And to get this engine to pass emissions is fairly ground breaking for our scene. Will be nice to know that if you are ever pulled up by the law, it’s all legit

Well done!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks a lot mate, always really nice to receive kind words. Been a real lot of fun building it. I really enjoyed doing the oil change yesterday, so much of the details of the car I sat and pondered and had to work out, just nice to actually enjoy it now, took me a lot of thought as how and where to mount the oil filter, actually doing an oil change and it being as easy as I was hoping sort of makes me smile.

Emmissions was a mammoth bloody effort. Lots and lots of discussions trying to work everything through. Having an LSx with 8itb essentially racing set up pass I am very proud of. But the single biggest thing is getting is passed for road worthy, seriously that’s become a bit of a bloody life goal (read obsession), hopefully not long now…

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Yup Gary mufflers usually that thick…

I currently have 120mm ground clearance where the centre muffler would usually go and could probably tuck up a bit tighter too.. So to add a 7″ muffler would only add 1.75″ to the total radius and drop ground clearance to around 80mm. Just measured it all and doesn’t matter because you won’t fit the 15″ long box anyway as it will foul on the inner control arm.

I think I’m gonna put in the longest centre muffler I can fit there and maybe a longer rear muffler that should be enough I think..

This is the exhaust so you can see why it’s so loud lol

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Marzella Marzella.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Marzella Marzella.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s not an exhaust that’s a bit of pipe :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well finally i have something small to post. Just got off the phone to the engineer, he is finishing the report over Easter, so all things being equal should have it in my hot little hands next week. Not sure whats involved re getting into Regency, if I have to book or not. Creeping every closer to having that all important crack. Should start a sweep on how many times it needs to go back before I am through. My heart wants first time, but my head says I will come away with a list of things to fix, then hopefully through second go…

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

I don’t want to put the mocker on you but I think 2nd go :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

It’s a secret but I would be happy with that. Shhhhhhhhh

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So checked over everything, all the lights work, indicators all work, heater, wipers, window washers. Pretty much cant really think of anything else that needs to be done, so I think I am ready once I have the report to have a go at rego.

Also for the fun of it thought I would take a short video. So given the engines making around 650hp give or take, I think the fact that I can reach in through the drivers window, hit the key, no stab on the accelerator, nothing and it fires up pretty much first time and idles smooth as is pretty cool I reckon. No temperamental beast, just nice effortless torque and power :)

Profile photo of Guzzler
    Guzzler
    Participant

Well it feels a bit like Xmas again! Received pretty much the last of the trans bits today to be able to start the rebuild. For the record so far I have the following plus a couple of other bits and pieces · Raybestos 3-4 Clutch MAXPAC · Transgo .500 Boost Valve · Transparts 4L60E Transmission Rebuild kit 97-03 Power Pack · 4L60E Billet 1-2 Super Servo Piston · 4L60E Super Servo 4th Apply Piston · Sonnax Strengthened Input Drum Assy · “The Beast” Sun Gear Shell · Transgo Shift Kit Stage 2 Also got the 2 front wheel back from Extensive Rim Services who refurbished them for me. All i can say is they look awesome, perfect in fact. below is before and after Also have managed to do a deal with a 3D scanning company to do the point cloud for me, counter swapped some work for it, only cost is transporting the rim to Melbourne and back.

Hey Gary, Could you please tell me the name of the wheel colour or code? I would also like to get my rims re sprayed. Also what code/brand rear spring did you use. I like the way the car sits. Dont think I will be doing coil overs for front but If I know what the rears are I could work out a front size.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

The rear springs are same as I currently have and are pedders

They are of there XA coil over kit and are adjustable in height

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate, tbh I don’t truly know what the colour code is for the wheels, I just asked them to copy what they were, but I will see if I can find out for you tomorrow.

I have King SSL rear springs when you see it sitting the nicest. Right now I have Pedders with the adjustable pad in there, that’s so I could adjust the ride height to get it legal. Tbh I dont like them as you sacrifice spring travel, so ride quality is compromised/harsher.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah they would be heaps stiffer then king ssl that’s for sure

They match the front springs in the coil over kit and it’s not really designed for comofort it’s designed to stop body roll and handle well for street car that wouldn’t mind seeing a track

They have other shocks and springs if you want comfort

The kit they come with has adjustable rear shocks and and when on soft it’s not to bad but still stiff and when it’s on hard it’s not comfortable at all, would be ok if the road was perfect and had really smooth roundabouts

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Yeah they would be heaps stiffer then king ssl that’s for sure They match the front springs in the coil over kit and it’s not really designed for comofort it’s designed to stop body roll and handle well for street car that wouldn’t mind seeing a track They have other shocks and springs if you want comfort The kit they come with has adjustable rear shocks and and when on soft it’s not to bad but still stiff and when it’s on hard it’s not comfortable at all, would be ok if the road was perfect and had really smooth roundabouts

You got XYZ yeah? How u find them?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah they would be heaps stiffer then king ssl that’s for sure They match the front springs in the coil over kit and it’s not really designed for comofort it’s designed to stop body roll and handle well for street car that wouldn’t mind seeing a track They have other shocks and springs if you want comfort The kit they come with has adjustable rear shocks and and when on soft it’s not to bad but still stiff and when it’s on hard it’s not comfortable at all, would be ok if the road was perfect and had really smooth roundabouts

You got XYZ yeah? How u find them?

nar pedders extreme XA coil overs

They are good for my car as that’s what suits it

I used it for about 30 or 40 thousand km or more on this suspension and it’s good if your after a $2k suspension system to handles decently and your not after a lounge chair on wheels

Hard is rock hard and drifts like a champion and breaks loose every where even when it was basically stock

I usually use myn on mid way witch is 15 clicks from soft

That’s about the sweet spot for the amount I use my car

If I used it more then 3 times a week and become cruiser over a bullet out of the gates I would go more 5 or 10 clicks from soft

All the way to Soft when on hi way and it’s nice

Still stiff compared to flop about suspension but not uncomfortable

And if I ever get serious on drags I’ll just throw some FE2 rear springs in and try different setting on rear shocks to get it to launch

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

When’s the roadworthy booked Gary?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

In the list of Trans parts I don’t see a CrMo Pump rotor Gary?

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.