This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes. Did you upgrade the cable size from what was originally used as the charge cable from the alternator to battery? The original alternator was probably an 85amp unit and the charge cable is really only designed to handle that load. Running a larger alternator at higher loads could very well see voltage drops across the cable as it gets to hot.

gary alternator wire is working fine, I asked him the other week and he said he has 13.5+v at idle

I was asking what size it is for my own interest

either way I got my old boy to go and get me some 4 gauge wire from battery world and he asked for that and even said to the special person serving him that looks pretty dam big for gauge 4 wire

anyway now I’m trying to fit this 00 gauge wire I have ended up with from my alternator to my battery cable

not to easy at all

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I don’t think checking idle voltage is a true test of the system.  Alternator won’t output full voltage/amps until it reaches about 1600-1800rpm (depending on pulley ratios).

Really need to do a load test.  The best way is to spec the cable by it’s current rating.

In my old VH I used 35mm² welding flex cable, very similar to 2ga cable for the Starter -> Battery -> Alternator.  I got the stuff cheap and it’s very well insulated.  Anything over a standard 55amp alternator I would use a minimum of 4ga cable (good for 110amps).

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks guys.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Ok stupid question Gary.

Why hyd the change in injector plugs?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Ok stupid question Gary. Why hyd the change in injector plugs?

the adapters are crap

having 2 connections with in a inch of each other is not ideal, the actuall plugs are cheap as, maybe $20 for 8 if that

changing them is simple as and anyone that is not a retard can do it if they have a bit of faith in them selves and have a go

its just eliminating a second connection that does not need to be there

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

2nd connection? Doesn’t the loom just plug straight in???

Or do u have adapter to covert ev14 to ev12 etc?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

He has a adapter from EV1 to USCAR

I had the same, both injector dynamic and Bosch ev14 1000cc injectors run USCAR plugs so they will not plug into our looms And require a adapter

This is what he is fitting

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, so the LS1 injectors have a different electrical plug to the later Bosch/ID Injectors (the later type is called  an “USCAR” connector or EV14).  So there are adapters available to mean you can plug the old style connector from the loom into the newer injectors.

The problem with them is as Pete has said above it means there are two points of failure, but that’s not the biggie for me.  The injectors in my manifold angles toward each other, because effectively the adapter makes the plug longer they hit each other.  So I have to rotate them away from each other so they don’t foul, which makes the wiring very awkward and bulky.  Awkward means the cables are not sitting happily which is really an accident waiting to happen.

The black thing is the adapter

Then one to show how busy the wiring is under the fuel rails if you see what I mean.  Look at the injector at the very rear sticking up through the fuel rails at an awkward angle.

Then how clean this looks by comparison pre adapters

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Ahh got ya. Think I’ll be in same boat then….

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Ahh got ya. Think I’ll be in same boat then….

No loom with the LSA?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s got the injector loom. But I’m changing injectors.

Profile photo of

It should have the USCAR plugs on it already…

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Ahh Wickid. I’ve never actually looked lol

Profile photo of

Yep anything after 6.0L VZ got em.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And its only really an issue really of space.  Nfi where the injectors are located on an LSA.  I assume you will need to get a loom grafted anyway won’t you to run the LSA with the VR stuff?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ll get some photos tonight in my thread. I got some goodies to update

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thought I would chuck this up, I think its very very cool.  A good friend of mine James Dennet is a chemical engineer and is one of the countries leading oil analysis guys.  He runs the Petroleum Services division of Bureau Veritas that’s based here in Adelaide.  He actually was my passenger on the C4C run, and was telling me about the technology they have now in being able by analyzing an oil sample, tell me if a problem is developing in the engine long before it becomes visible.

The idea is to do it at intervals so you can see the change. Transport fleets, airlines etc do it so they only do maintenance when its necessary, or more to the point before the problem becomes much more serious.  So last week we did a sample and these are the results.

As I say I think its super cool :good:

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Pretty interesting stuff that.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea agreed, just finished an oil change, he thinks Mobil 1 is the ducks guts, so have swapped to that.  We caught up last night, so he was telling me basically with my car, just keep changing the oil often, like every 1,000ks, and it means the oil never gets loaded up with impurities so its keeps the engine pristine, for the amount of k’s I am realistically going to do its cheap insurance.  Very cool technology, and its only $44 per analysis which i reckon for what you get on a high performance engine is really worth it.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Mentions poor filtration from the intake. Are you going to try and find a solution to that or just keep changing the oil?

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.