This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got the twin 3″ back on. Spent a lot of time cleaning all the mating faces, used all new gaskets, went on really well. Actually very confident it would actually meet the 91dB limit now its actually been tuned correctly with the Varex closed which was the plan to have the best of both worlds. Able to do some nice stealthy and legal cruising but open it up if I take it to the track etc. Most of the way through the trunnion bearing upgrade then remembered I had lent my torque wrench to Dad. He’s on his way up to drop it off, then I should just have to torque them up, refit the rocker covers and that’s another one off the list.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Trunnion upgrade done.  have played around a fair bit with engines over the years but this is the first time I have actually tackled anything on an LS engine.  Like always slow and steady wins the race, just took my time.  I actually did one complete one first to suss everything out, then did the ones that weren’t loaded at tdc on #1, then after refitting those spun the engine 360 degrees using a socked on the harmonic balancer and did the remaining ones.  I had the kit but not the tools, so I made some up, I used socked primarily.  Used the lathe a couple of times just to square up the shoulder for pressing them in.  I used the press to remove the old bearings but used the vice to fit the new ones so i had a bit more feel.  Torqued them up, then started up first go, oil pressures perfect, no funny noises.  Once i have run it a bit might pull the rocker covers off and check them just for good measure.

So that’s the exhaust finished and the trunnion upgrade.  This week will order the new injectors, and also want to disengage grandpa mode and lower it back down a little.  I think I will still keep to the legal eyebrow heights though, just will be a bit nicer lower.

Then Stephen is going to come around and do a minor touch up on the tune, and just put a little more fuel in it so its not quite so lean, just to be a bit safe, then its just about powerglide time, then final tune.

Just a few random pics I took today, nothing special but gives an idea how I did it.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Awesome Engine is Awesome :good:

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Good stuff

what new injectors are you goin to run ??

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Good to see the varex is getting good use to

it amazing how much of the bark they take out of the exhaust noise

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Probably going Injector Dynamics. Either 725 or 1000, most likely ID725. But Stephen the tuner wanted to think it over this week end. Yea i like the varex, best of both worlds  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So my tuner thinks the ID1000 so if I chase more HP and go E85 again they will suit.  I think the part number I want is 1000.60.14.14.8.  Can anyone recommend a place to buy them in Oz?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I love bits :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Fuck that was quick lol

what they sting you in the end?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Fuck that was quick lol what they sting you in the end?

Secret mens business, got them at a very very good price :)

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

That was quick, very nice choice

over night express does still work ay

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just for shits and giggles, was looking for something else and came across this old pic of the Senator when I had it in the container long before starting the build.  She sure has come along way ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Gotta love a nice quiet shed day playing with the old girl ;-)

Got the injectors all swapped over.  A little bit more work than it seems at first.  The ID injectors are quite different from the standard ones.  They are shorter and so need an adapter (its supplied) but also the connector is the newer style.  Again the they supply a plug in adapter.  Unfortunately it makes them on mine a little more bulky.  So I took a little time to just route the wiring etc as neat as I could.

The adaptors are purple, not sure I’m totally in love with that, also the way I ended up routing the two return feeds at the back of the injection all those months ago I am not totally happy with.  I think one day once I have it all running sweetly and I have enjoyed it for a while I might have a think about tweaking that all so its a bit trick looking.

Just for the hell of it (mainly to check for leaks) I fired it up, it actually ran although it belched huge amounts of black smoke, I am guessing the ECU may need a tweak going to the 1000cc injectors so no doubt is rich as.

Also adjusted the suspension down to a nicer height, that meant swapping back to the regular King springs in the rear which I prefer to the adjustables as you lose travel with them.  But at least its a very simple job to tweak it now.

Rang Stephen, he is aiming to come out Monday night and tweak the tune to suit the new injectors to gte it running.  Then I guess its getting close to getting the glide in it.

Here’s a few pics for posterity..

Profile photo of

Simply stunning :yes:

Curious have you weighed it yet?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No not yet.  The 12 bolt diff is a lump, must have added a chunk.  But the glide will be relatively light.  Sure its a cast iron block, but actually I don’t know its hugely different to the old 5L.  Its on the list of things to do, I just want running and enjoy it :)  Looking at the pic man that purple looks so ricer, think I will order some black adapters and have them ready so if I ever have the injectors off I can swap them.

Profile photo of

Good idea, not a fan of Purple…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

New I had a pic somewhere, 12 bolt on the left, 78 on the right.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Simply stunning  

Thank you btw :)

Profile photo of CRZYVY
    CRZYVY
    Participant

Should get them blue so matches your fittings.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I reckon fitting colours is one of those Holden/Ford, Auto/Manual things, everyone has a thought on it.  Some people (wheres Cava when you need him ha ha) reckon the blue/red fittings spoil it and I should have gone all black.  A couple of people on my fb car page just now reckon the purple looks good and breaks it up, so who knows :wacko:    One thing I will say is photos make little things stand out more than real life.  When you lift the bonnet people pretty much see this big ass orange 454 rocker covers and carbon fiber trumpets and go wow, there’s so many things I see and the photos pick up that most people at least at first don’t even notice  :)

I reckon I may just run with them as is for a while, and see how I fell later on.  It’s not and never was intended to be be a show car, I just want to cruise it and enjoy it.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.