This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

From DPE difillipno

basic kit witch from what I gather has engine flange (LS engine in image) then 30 90degree bends and collector

can get them in 4 into 1 or tri Y kits

$440 for 1 7/8 kits and prices go up from there

iv had a bit of pipe work experience now and feel I would have no problem piecing one of these together like above

just need to make sure it can be fitted and removed

and yes clearly every one needs 1000hp, only silly people don’t see this life fact

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Got a link?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cant see you having any problems making one Pete given everything else you have done and the hand skills you have.  I cant remember if you have a TIG?  Only way to go imho for this type of work, the control for thin gauge work like this for guys like us who aren’t doing it all the time I think makes life so much easier.  I used mine again on the week end after quite a few months break and was pretty much straight away doing reasonably good welds.  I bought my TIG, all the pipe works and mufflers, and made my system for less than the cheapest quote I got, actually I think one of the most enjoyable jobs of the build, very satisfying  :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What tugs did u boys buy. I needs to get me one.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I only have a 180 amp mig witch i just use SS wire and gas and works great

My brother in law has a allmax AC/DC 200 amp tig

That was $1000, isnt top of the line stuff but works great for home stuff and has the foot peddle so can control power really well with it

Built my exhaust with tig and the varex mufflers i fitted recently i use my mig

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I bought a CIG 170HF.  I already had a mig (although its since died) and I wanted a separate welder so I could quickly swap between both.  The HF makes it a bit easier for someone like me who uses it intermittently as it makes starting the actual weld easier.  Very happy with mine, although I am told some of the el cheapo ones off eBay are good too.  And if you haven’t already factor is an auto tint helmet, and buy a box of half a dozen tungsten tips and keep them all sharp ready to go so you can swap them quickly when you inevitably touch the tip into the weld and blunt it :wacko:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

250A CIG TransMig and a 200A Kempi AC/DC HF Pulse TIG

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’m not that crash hot on the TIG. IM Actually better on the oxy lol

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If you are good on oxy (like me also) you will be good on TIG, pretty much electric oxy but more precise….

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, feel like I have kept everyone in the loop to this point why stop now :-)

So the report has just been finilised and has been sent off to the RTA, and Doug has spoken to them directly.  This is the letter, so now that’s pretty much the final thing to do before being called in for the big day….#nervousashell

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bloody nice to see a heap of new guys joining the forum, starting to get a nice vibe about it.  Now I just need the call from the RTA to take the car in and my life will be complete ha ha

Profile photo of monkey
    monkey
    Participant

So glad to see your senator again Gary and very happy for you with the progress in getting it all street legal. Hope they can get it inspected for you asap.

Also congrats on setting up this site, you definitely are a man of action and that speaks louder than words.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very kind of you buddy.  I am really happy with the forum & fb page, was a little nervous at first how it would turn out & be received as forums are dying so its said.  But CP is more about quality over quantity.  There are some very very cool builds on here already, and some great old ones too and already some very knowledgeable people and that just seems to be growing nicely.  And the Facebook page just works with it not against it, the idea is/was for them to go hand in hand.

Gotta say the Senator has taken so much more time, effort an of course money to get to the street legal stage than I would really had ever guessed.  Its over a year since it “was going”  The emissions side was a big undertaking but the result actually is pretty spectacular given it was spewing out 243 grams CO per mile before and we got it down to less than one. Now its about following due process, the RTA need the time to assess the report and get their heads around it, before I go in.

Just so looking forward to getting in it, and driving it, there is a very long list of rides I have promised people, that’s in itself should be a lot of fun :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Ok, will posted every other bit of progress, here is one that truly has got me having butterflies.  (dumb ass I know but true nonetheless)  So this arrived in the post just then.  This in SA is know as the “Statement of Requirement”  what this does is list that they have “approved” me to modify my car to according to the list, so that’s the 454, ITB, coil overs, yadi yada.  Pending the inspection WHICH I CAN NOW BOOK :yahoo:

Its also set out exactly what they will test for stating eyebrow heights etc.   Now funnily enough i was sort of thinking about this arriving soon over the week end, and have decided to take today off as annual leave (benefits of being the boss I guess :XD: ).  I am am painstakingly going over every single thing I can, so i guess I even now have an exact list of what they are looking for.  #nowitstrulygettingreal

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Good stuff

Road trip coming up soon

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well that’s a wrap, really have no idea what else I can do now.  Everything works, has been checked and double checked.  Decided to make up a sheet metal cover for the front of the trans bell housing, not sure its requirement but looked  a little unfinished so now its neater.  Also made sure the ride height was right, gave myself a few mm head room so its up around 105 at the very lowest point.  Made a small heat shield cover for the fittings where the duck up under the trans tunnel, probably didn’t need it but again at least it looks more finished, looks a bit clunkier in the pics than it does in real life.  And she is now tucked away on the trickle charger waiting for the big day, guess tomorrow first job is ring the RTA and book it in.  Fingers crossed.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Them collectors

They go 4 into 2 for what appears to be 12 inchs then to 2

Iv been reading and this is a very very very good thing and in testing that i have read just yesterday compared to 4 into 1 with no ventury ( choke down then enlarged of any kind) had 12rwhp and 15 rwnm gain, no tuning no nothing, this test purely changing primary lengths and sizes and collector designs and just that gain was purely a change of collector only with same pipes

Im 99% sure this was on a 350 chev

May i ask where did you get them from ??

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No probs at all, they are standard pacemaker LS1 into early Commodores.  I did make make my own collectors as they came down into 2.5″ but I wanted 3″, also I made the passenger side removable.  But I did make sure they were pretty much the same length.  Pretty sure the firing order of an LS makes making the “perfect” scavenging difficult. I think I even remeber seeing someone had brought primaries from one bank across and merged them with the other. But that’s getting way behind my knowledge.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I’ll just leave this here for you to have a look at

check out the last pic and read from there down of you get bored and want to skip a part

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1111phr-how-to-size-headers/

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.