This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vlsv88 vlsv88 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Genuine Dec ’86 333pack Calais – Maranello Red

Bought the car as an unregistered roller. No engine, no gearbox, no fuel tank. Overall the body is mint and the interior is mint so it’s a great base for a project.

Plan is to run an LS2 with a manual and get it completely engineered. Run an 11 and enjoy cruising it.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of vlsv88 vlsv88.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of vlsv88 vlsv88.
    • This topic was modified 5 years ago by Profile photo of vlsv88 vlsv88.
    Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

wow looks clean, keen for progress.

Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

Was this a car that the guy pulled the LS engine in it out to put into his VN race car? (“Thelightyear” username)

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Was this a car that the guy pulled the LS engine in it out to put into his VN race car? (“Thelightyear” username)

Yep the VL had an L76 in it pretty poorly setup. Shonky battery siliconed to the boot floor and fuel cell setup with a big jagged hole cut in the boot floor for the surge tank, cheap homemade roll cage and a twin 3″ setup coming through the middle out the back which had brackets for it drilled in all through the boot floor. Needless to say that guy not being a VL fan didn’t think much of the car itself (luckily) and let me take it without much effort!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of vlsv88 vlsv88.
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Should be some footage of it driving on his youtube page.

It’s had a journey he got it off a neighbour drove it,took engine & now you got it lol.

Few of us tried to convince him to keep it & just fit stocker bonnet.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Looks very neat. Great colour too, but I’m a bit biased.

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Started a new job in Jan so have been held up with that. Really only get every 3rd or 4th Sunday to play with this but it will get done… Ditching the T56 I have and looking for somewhere to get me a good TH400 built (anyone)? Had a chaotic week where I jumped on a set of 17″ VN Aero Starform wheels that popped up in Sydney. I flew up there straight away, rented a car and got them within a couple of hours. So that’s the wheel choice sorted

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I’m getting my TH400 from Paul Rogers Performance Transmissions in Melb

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very nice, always had a soft spot for the VL, had an ex cop 5L/t400 back in the day.  Love to see some more pics of the bay, underneath, interior etc.  Keep us posted with progress.

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

I’m thinking about going to DTM in Geelong, they’re an FTI converter distributor and I’m a big fan of their stuff. Looking to get a converter to match rather the combo instead of getting the TCI flexplate to mate it all up. I’m really looking forward to it, have been driving manuals for about 7 years.

Some pics…

The truetrac is a Torque Lock (cheap one). Have a few mates running them at the moment with no dramas in VT-VZ’s so keen to be a guinea pig for the old BW. Setup with 4.11’s and custom billet 28sp axles.

Got the booster, master and calipers all reco’d at Sunbury brakes. Mated them up with T3 rotors and A1RM pads. I hate the look of VT brakes and can’t afford HSV brakes yet but they will come eventually.

Also got the Bilsteins matched up with some Kings with custom spring rates at the front for the lighter LS engine going in it. Thanks Centreline suspension.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of vlsv88 vlsv88.
    • This reply was modified 5 years ago by Profile photo of vlsv88 vlsv88.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Th400 is done, ended up using a private builder with a TCT 4000-4200 converter setup for street driving (will slip a bit more up top at the track). 800hp, forward pattern and auto valve body so my shifts aren’t viscous and I get to retain engine braking and can still shift manually when I want so I’m very happy.

Sold my LS1 and T56 together for a good price just because it was a pain trying to sell the T56 so now on the hunt for an LS2 but it’s pretty difficult so may have to buy another LS1. Car is booked in to get converted and engineered in 4 weeks. :yahoo:

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Little update: Picked up an LS2/loom/computer/pedal after searching for a good unmodified one for an eternity. Dropped it straight off to my mechanic who’s going to go over it and give it some fresh gaskets and start gathering some new bolt ons for it.

Quick question for anyone that can answer? I’ve welded in a section of replacement boot floor because the previous owner had a fuel cell installed and had a hole cut out for the lower fuel pick up… I’m trying to locate where my bolt goes for my factory drop tank I’m trying to put in. Is it the part I’ve circled in red? As the rare spares floor I’ve put in doesn’t have it.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Can’t see a pic but guessing you mean stud passenger side tank strap bolts to?

If so replacement floors have like a indented square near where boot floor meets inner beaver panel..you drill out original plate with with stud & weld that to indented piece after drill hole for stud.

Replacement floors easy to spot as usually don’t have holes for rubber grommets.

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Thats what I thought it would be. I struggled to find a pic of it on google. Problem is getting an original plate now, may have to improvise and make something…

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Fairly simple idea as it’s just thicker plate on top of bootfloor that has larger surface area for weight of tank to pull on for support.

Put your tan in with straps it will show you where to drill hole then just just high tensile bolt welded to plate as above.

You can just see spotwelds inside the red circle..that one in pic looks like has towbar supports,

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Had fun painting the diff up, turned out pretty well. Drop tank is next after I fill a couple of dings in it.

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Small updates but nearly there. Painted up my drop tank, first time using a spray gun, 3rd time lucky on the tank. Straightened out all the dents with filler etc.

Also got my Starforms restored and lips machined over at Advanced Alloy Wheels in Moorabbin. Great job as always, can trust them with anything.

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Only thing left to do is wait for my braided brake lines to arrive and fit my drop box and B&M. I’ve decided to give my engine bay a quick spray before dropping the engine in. No smoothing or welding, just a once over.. The paint in the bay is original and chalky and pinkish. Once it’s registered and engineered and the engine comes back out for proper build I’ll smooth the bay and get it painted in 2k

I’ve bought some of this pre-mixed Protec paint in Acrylic so I can scuff it and shoot it straight on. Fingers crossed it goes down well.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-GMH-MARANELLO-RED-CODE-1F075-500ML-TOUCH-UP-KIT-/172184809763?epid=2024290926&hash=item281703b123:g:RhkAAOSwLmVXEApY

Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

Love the starforms!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^agreed, not sure i have seen them too much before.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.