This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,648 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,121 through 1,140 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Why use the existing unit, easy …. cost.

Bit of fab/profile/modelling work in that one, I reckon if he was paying full tote for everything it would have added up pretty quickly. Mind you says the guy that put around 80 hours cad work into a pair of rims :) A good mate of mine is friends with guy near me who is/has dumped a full skyline awd system into an FJ Holden, hoping to have a look at it soon, that will be fun to see :) Apologies for the thread diversion IJ!!

seen this?

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/426700-torana-lx-gtr-hatch-lots-of-pictures/

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LOL yeah saw that one as well…

————-

Today!

Bit of a delayed start today due to the rain… I mean seriously WTF..

Usually when I wash engines it’s mid Winter and I have to rug up and put wet weather gear on to stop from getting soaked, this time shorts were fine soon as it stopped pelting down, this has to be one of the Internally Cleanest High KM LS1’s I’ve ever seen!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^easy to see why the LS engine is so popular, looks how strong that bottom end design is, really nice.

Profile photo of

^easy to see why the LS engine is so popular, looks how strong that bottom end design is, really nice.

Yep that and the revised Gaskets/Sealing, awesome revamp by Chev!

—————

Today End!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work

Profile photo of

Nice work

Thanks, should do the job if I knock a corner off it!

———-

Today!

Pulled the crank so I could install the new bearings, crank and old bearings were Mint, getting ready to lay it back in and found I was missing a Clevite Rod bearing upper shell… DOH

Will pick a new one up tomorrow when I go down to collect the 308… I had a “spare” set here from the Blower engine as I did the half set of +1 to close the gap down but of course the Uppers are all the +1 half I used the STD uppers in the Blower engine..

We got a bunch of bits cleaned and I caught up on some wiring and suspension stuff so not a total loss!

Profile photo of

Today End!

Here’s one for the collective Brains Trust, put the Crank back in the LS1 this morning, turned it over and it had a tight spot that if you used gentle pressure would lock up, marked the crank and block and yes it was the same place each time..

Went through all the bearings to check for scuff marks, clearance is fine no marks, loosened the caps it was the same.. Was starting to get worried so figured I’d pull the Heads… 80% of the Carbon on a few pistons had fallen off and the engine being upside down on the stand it was packing up between the piston and head…

NEVER seen this happen before, Carbon usually needs a scraper to dislodge, anyone come across this?

———-

Stealth

Profile photo of Summers
    Summers
    Participant

Thats highly unusual for the carbon to come off in large quantities that easily. I have have a small amount come off doing a rear main on a 308 engine with heads on but i only noticed by a tiny amount of carbon made its way to a port where i could see it. It never actually effected the engine turning over.  :unsure: Is there definately no way and cleaner product or anything of the like could have made its way into the engine during what you have been doing?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Wish mine just fell off. Took me ages to clean these Pistons up.

Profile photo of

Thats highly unusual for the carbon to come off in large quantities that easily. I have have a small amount come off doing a rear main on a 308 engine with heads on but i only noticed by a tiny amount of carbon made its way to a port where i could see it. It never actually effected the engine turning over. Is there definately no way and cleaner product or anything of the like could have made its way into the engine during what you have been doing?

That’s what I thought but after talking to a mate that’s an aircraft mechanic he was saying Humidity will  do it, been Humid as here last few days… Just wondering if you steamed a piston it would make carbon removal easier…

I had pulled the Rockers off and put plugs in it when I was degreasing so no chance of any of the chemicals getting in there, but having said that the Alkaline degreaser I used totally stripped the carbon out of the exhaust ports!

Wish mine just fell off. Took me ages to clean these Pistons up.

Yeah Cav that’s been my experience over the years… Even just blowing them with compressed air huge flakes were falling off!

Profile photo of

Today End!

Spent the morning Cleaning… turns out on closer inspection that was a waste of time as I’m not happy with the bore condition in a couple of cylinders so it’s off to be Bored, Cam bearings are a bit Sad so will get them done at the same time.

When it broke the Valve spring last month it did touch the Piston but only the lightest graze, can get lucky sometimes!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Starting to show copper on the cam bearings? Eugene @ flowcraft did the machine work on my LS1. Power honed the bores, decked the head face flat supply and fit new cam bearings.

He also ran the whole rotating and block thru the hot wash for me. So it made clean up a lot easier.

Wasn’t bad for $600

Profile photo of

Yeah the Cam bearings are just about done… just goes to show a single “test” doesn’t show the whole picture, the leakdown was perfect but I should have had a look with the borescope as well..

I’ll drop it at my machine shop when I go over to collect the 308 Stroker this week..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Exact same happened to me. Leak down and comp test was mint. Changed cam and noticed bearings. Then as you do, I went over board.

Profile photo of

Exact same happened to me. Leak down and comp test was mint. Changed cam and noticed bearings. Then as you do, I went over board.

Funny how that happens, this guys uses it as a daily so I was trying to NOT hand him a $3500 machine shop bill…  :XD:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Was there any mention of cam etc? Or just freshen up? I was very happy with the baby cam in my ls1

Profile photo of

Was there any mention of cam etc? Or just freshen up? I was very happy with the baby cam in my ls1

He’s bought a small Sig Erson Cam for it, my suggestion was either an LS2 or and LS3 Cam, I did that with the LS1 I put in the Tonner.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What’s the specs on it?

Mate te of mine had some very good results with an ls3 cam in his 6.0ltr

Profile photo of

500ish lift and 218 degrees from memory!

He commutes and tows a bit so doesn’t really need a big lumpy stick, I prefer the factory grinds they’re a bit gentler on the ramps so give great longevity.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Yeah. Whilst mine was small it was pretty aggressive. 215/223 .604/.610 112+2

Viewing 20 posts - 1,121 through 1,140 (of 2,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.