This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,648 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I hear a lot about wideband. So basically the range or “band” it works in is broader? Is there a downside?

The terminology comes from the response curve of the sensor, a ‘narrowband’ sensor is only really accurate around stoich (lambda = 1), either side of this the voltage response is very sharp behaving more like a switch. If you look at a data log of narrowband sensors in exhaust running at stoich you will see it oscillating very quickly either side of their midpoint ~470mV. Narrowbands output this 0-1v reading directly and just need to be read by the controller Wideband sensors have a different response, much more linear across a range of mixtures typically 0.7 to 1.3 lambda. There are different types of sensors, most common being the Bosch LSU 4.x series. These sensors are much more involved to use as you need circuitry to control the pump cell and monitor the pump current which is the measure of the mixtures. The readings are then linearized into a 0-5V signal proportional to the mixture, some widebands also have a serial RS232 or CAN bus for digital output. Historically, the component and processor to control all of this was expensive in the scheme of things but these days you can get very capable microprocessors for pretty small amount (even in low volumes) – combined with modern SMD technology you can make a very capable unit for a few bucks. Hence you can get a wideband setup for $200 all said and done. Modern cars mostly come with widebands installed already. One thing to watch out for is wideband sensors are actually “wideband o2” sensors, they actually sense o2 (oxygen) so a misfire as well as cams with a lot of overlap on idle, show as very lean.

Thanks very much for that, great info and clarified a lot of stuff for me.

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Ben! I’d like to replace mine with something Serial do you have any recommendations? ————– Today End! Had to go into Town this morning to get some fuel for the weekend’s activities so decided while I was halfway there I’d shoot down and borrow my Mate’s Tech2 again and have another crack at it now all the Numbers match.. Got back plugged it all in, NO contact SPS error thing this time got straight in, there seems to be something on the CAN Bus that’s interrupting comms so it was dropping out now and again but at least I could get in and play, Had an ABS Config error as suspected so went in and fed it the matching VIN then went to program it as as L98 and not the LS2 Clubsport that the module was… BZZZZZ nah no way no how… bugger, plan B, swapped in my brand new Blank Module that was supplied in error when I built the Tonner, fed it the VIN Programmed it and now I have 100% operational TRAC and ABS!! Unplugged the Tech2 and packed up before I “fiddled” and broke something!

Funny you mention serial wideband, the reason I asked which you were running was to see if you already had serial. To be honest, I use both AD and serial on my flashscan and don’t have issues with offset but some people seem to be plagued with it… really depends what you want to do… for my race car, I use the Techedge, after you look at response time, accuracy etc. the next biggest decision factor is display!

With Techedge the controller is good, supports the LSU 4.9 which is latest tech, response is fast, quality construction and importantly, you can read the display (LX1) in direct sunlight – it’s big and clear so you know exactly what’s going on with your motor. Never been able to do that with any other display I’ve used as they use a LED matrix display. TE LX1 is a LCD backlight display.  Id look at either a 2J9 + LX1 display, or 2C0B + LX1 display. Not to mention they are an Australian Company.

I also regularly use an Innovate LM-2, Autronics B and have customers using AEM, PLX etc. for my money tho, as a permanent in car Techedge gets the tick. Motec PLM is also very nice…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Thanks Ben, have dealt with Techedge a few times and found the owner to be very helpful even to the point of happily refunding my $ when his parts wouldn’t do what I was trying to do at the time!

The options now are to buy a new sensor for the Powerdex then still have the offset hassle or shelve it and buy a TE, leaning towards option 2 as the sensors have gone up since the last time I bought one..

On a brighter note the only “error” left in the Lexcen is the SRS light on the Dash which is understandable seeing there’s no wiring module or bags in the car, it was interesting that the CS ABS Module wouldn’t reprogram to L98, ever come across that?!

Profile photo of

Today!

Went down and fed it the new Config files with a lower Rev Limiter setting and revised settings that take into account fully functioning TRAC..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I like it when you talk dirty….

Profile photo of

Just nice being able to switch the ignition on and have no Beeps or warning lights on the dash  :XD:

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

Thanks Ben, have dealt with Techedge a few times and found the owner to be very helpful even to the point of happily refunding my $ when his parts wouldn’t do what I was trying to do at the time! The options now are to buy a new sensor for the Powerdex then still have the offset hassle or shelve it and buy a TE, leaning towards option 2 as the sensors have gone up since the last time I bought one.. On a brighter note the only “error” left in the Lexcen is the SRS light on the Dash which is understandable seeing there’s no wiring module or bags in the car, it was interesting that the CS ABS Module wouldn’t reprogram to L98, ever come across that?!

I believe the powerdex uses a LSU4.2? You can still use this with Techedge, depending which version you get you need to change jumpers and reflash to suit LSU4.9 if you change. LSU4.2 is still a good sensor tho. Techedge also supply sensors at a reasonable price.

I believe you can turn off the SRS in the dash with a TECHII, I know you can set the configuration to how many airbags you have.

Havnt had that exact issue with ABS but most modules do need to be released from the old link before relinking.

Profile photo of

Thanks Ben, have dealt with Techedge a few times and found the owner to be very helpful even to the point of happily refunding my $ when his parts wouldn’t do what I was trying to do at the time! The options now are to buy a new sensor for the Powerdex then still have the offset hassle or shelve it and buy a TE, leaning towards option 2 as the sensors have gone up since the last time I bought one.. On a brighter note the only “error” left in the Lexcen is the SRS light on the Dash which is understandable seeing there’s no wiring module or bags in the car, it was interesting that the CS ABS Module wouldn’t reprogram to L98, ever come across that?!

I believe the powerdex uses a LSU4.2? You can still use this with Techedge, depending which version you get you need to change jumpers and reflash to suit LSU4.9 if you change. LSU4.2 is still a good sensor tho. Techedge also supply sensors at a reasonable price. I believe you can turn off the SRS in the dash with a TECHII, I know you can set the configuration to how many airbags you have. Havnt had that exact issue with ABS but most modules do need to be released from the old link before relinking.

I looked at a full kit including the display you suggested Ben, it’s under $400 all up including a new 4.9 sensor so I’ll go that way soon, a new 4.2 is going to cost me half that anyway and the other side benefit of going serial is it frees up some resources/logging channels in EFI-Live.

There isn’t a 0 airbag option from memory but if there is I’d say it’ll still turn the light on as none of the wiring/modules exist, I can ignore it no probs, if I have the dash out in the future I’ll disable the light.

Ok that makes sense on the ABS Module needing to be released… Lucky I had the new blank here then!

(wasn’t saying that for the 4 years it’s been sitting here as an unreturnable $700 incorrect part they supplied for the Tonner..)  :XD:

Profile photo of

Today!

Filled it up ready for Sunday, last race meeting and all the screwing around in between and a few tuning/fiddling runs it took 17L, damn sight more economical then expected!

Profile photo of

Today End!

Flaps up, chocks away…

Somehow feels unnatural being ready for an event and not thrashing on the morning of…. not complaining just feels a bit odd!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^that is just a pic of man heaven…  Good luck  :good:

Profile photo of

^that is just a pic of man heaven… Good luck

Thanks Gary, should be a very different day this time, working Throttle that isn’t 0 or 100% due to the BTM delay BS, 4 wheels that will point in the same direction at the start of each run, Working ABS and a good deal quieter with a MUCH improved seating position!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Be careful…..

Profile photo of

Be careful…..

Always am!  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Vids if you can :)  in car gopro would be great.

Profile photo of

Sorry haven’t got one yet…

Profile photo of

Today End!

BIG BLACK FLAPS are a good thing!!

Rolled it off the trailer went through scrutineering no probs at all then did my first Lap, it was better than my best lap last time on the same track layout, we do 2 runs then they change the layout, you get a slow parade lap to get a look at the layout then it’s GO!

All day I was a second and a bit behind my Mate Mark in his GT4 Celica excluding 1 lap where the God of Traction abandoned me and I dropped 8 seconds, I then came to the realisation that I’ve done a total of 12 minutes in the car in anger, 4 minutes last meeting and 8 this so I think I’m doing ok!

I took Mark’s wife for  a lap at the end of the day as they ran a testNtune session for the last 2 hours before the end of season BBQ, I think she had fun but was very quiet after the first corner!!

Then handed the keys to Mark so he and Clare could got for a lap, he had a HUGE grin when he got back, I need to make it a bit more pointy and dial some of the understeer out of it, Mark took me for a Lap in the Celica and it’s like it’s on rails the whole way!

I tried underdriving it a few times and it helped shave a few seconds off here and there, except for the mystery no grip lap I improved every time I went out so pretty happy!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool as buddy, gotta be happy with that, no issues?

Profile photo of

Cool as buddy, gotta be happy with that, no issues?

Nope ran well all day  :yahoo:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Fantastic, now you can concentrate on tweaking set up and driving?

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 2,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.