This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,648 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Is it possible to mount the coolers to a frame that actually attaches to the underside of the boot.  That way when you lift the boot they go up with it so you can get to the fuel cell easily?  Or even a secondary hinged frame that does the same job?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Is it possible to mount the coolers to a frame that actually attaches to the underside of the boot. That way when you lift the boot they go up with it so you can get to the fuel cell easily? Or even a secondary hinged frame that does the same job?

Had considered that, it’s a LOT of weight I don’t think it’ll work even with a 2nd pair of Gas struts…

I’m thinking more a frame that mounts to the flat section below the Boot striker and mounts the Coolers on an angle then build a 50/50 shroud with half mounted to the frame and the other half to the bootlid so it clamshells when closed.

I can make the mounts all easy to get to and leave some extra hose so it’ll fold out of the way if I need to get to anything in there (which I shouldn’t but who knows)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sounds like a plan

Profile photo of

Sounds like a plan

Sort of… still open to any and all suggestions at this point, anything user friendly I can come up with falls over soon as you factor in the weight, it’s a lot of Mass when they’re all full so it’s going to need to be strong, I have a ton of 20mm RHS there to use for the frame and a bunch of rubber isolator mounts for the cooler to frame..

My local track is fairly “Flat” but many have jumps so need to plan ahead.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I guess with  the weight the closer you mount them to the centre of the car the better.  Maybe a false ally vertical bulkhead immediately in front of the fuel cell.  then the vents you have made feed into that almost like a plenum, and the boot itself is vented anyway?  Just kicking the can btw…

Profile photo of

I guess with the weight the closer you mount them to the centre of the car the better. Maybe a false ally vertical bulkhead immediately in front of the fuel cell. then the vents you have made feed into that almost like a plenum, and the boot itself is vented anyway? Just kicking the can btw…

Idea has merit and I had considered it but my fuel lines, surge tank, lift pump and filter all end up in there so the coolers and shroud would have to be further back towards the cell, would be a PITA to shroud it all off and still be removable for access to the fuel system…

Always good to have another pair of eyes look at it for this sort of thing, there’s a good chance I’ve missed something being so close to the project!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Know what you mean, used to work for a guy he used to say no one has a mandate on good ideas.  As you say sometimes you cant see as your too close to it. I am sure a bit more of a head scratch and rub of the chin you will come up with something creative :good:

Profile photo of

Just working through concepts and discarding them one at a time, whatever is left will be it I guess ….

Just don’t want to rush into it and have to start again when I think of something better :XD:

Profile photo of

Today!

Just been down the shed measuring up, plan j2.7 will work for the cooler mounting, I’ll get to it one of these days… (damn cold here hard to get motivated atm)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So what are your thoughts, what is plan j2.7?

Profile photo of

So what are your thoughts, what is plan j2.7?

Pretty much what I outlined earlier, it’s about the only thing that will work and be functional, I don’t really need it to be easily accessible being a track car spares and tools will be kept on the trailer.

I’ll have room to be able to get in/around it doing it this way and I’ll be able to mount the IC Reservoir higher than the radiator/IC cores in the Engine so it’ll self bleed, just need to get off my arse and make it a reality now :XD:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sounds like a cunning plan sir. As you say I guess being a track car you can forgo quite a bit of accessibility. Come on mate, that’s a couple of days with no progress :)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Mount it where the sunroof should be.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Or make chromoly roof racks and ratchet strap to the top

Profile photo of

Sounds like a cunning plan sir. As you say I guess being a track car you can forgo quite a bit of accessibility. Come on mate, that’s a couple of days with no progress :)

Had a bit of a rethink on this in bed this morning (do my best thinking either in bed or in the shower)

Will have a look again today to see if my idea will work, just thinking to mount the coolers horizontally then shroud up to the boot lid to drop the CofG a bit and make mounting them easier..

Or make chromoly roof racks and ratchet strap to the top

LOL I had actually thought about cutting a big rectangle out of the boot lid and flush mounting them with the surface at one point but they’d be susceptible to damage.. ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

LOL I had actually thought about cutting a big rectangle out of the boot lid and flush mounting them with the surface at one point but they’d be susceptible to damage..

Porsche made it work ;-)

Profile photo of

LOL I had actually thought about cutting a big rectangle out of the boot lid and flush mounting them with the surface at one point but they’d be susceptible to damage..

Porsche made it work

Yeah but they had a nice strong grill over the top of it all… I’m too lazy for that..

——–

Today!

Went down and “fiddled” with the idea I had early this morning… bzzzz not going to work as the fuel filler hose for the fuel cell is in the way, came up with a different way to mount the coolers using saddles and rubber in between to isolate them, will work fine just have to go to town and buy some material to make it happen!… tomorrow..

No big deal still waiting on the new fan for the Trans cooler anyway, how is it I can get parts from the US in 3 days yet something from QLD is usually 2 weeks..

Did a bit of research into mounting coolers and found an interesting read on the Mocal site, appears that it’s a BAD idea to mount them away from the Radiator surface as the Ambient air in the gap gets turbulent and stops the flow to the next cooler in and due to the amount of air flowing through when mounted face to face there’s on a couple of C temp rise so the next exchanger doesn’t suffer all that much.

This makes mounting the front coolers so much easier!

Profile photo of

Today!

Ok have finalised a design I think will work in my head, have enough parts and materials there to make it happen so will see how motivated I am in the morning… (spent a couple of hours snoozing on the couch this arvo)

Profile photo of

Today End!

Mount is done!!

Just have to make the shroud to seal it to the bootlid and get some rubber weather seal to seal the coolers to the frame and that’s it for the heavy fabrication!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice, clean, light and simple.  Very neat :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 2,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.