This topic contains 134 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jlss jlss 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DK PSI
    DK PSI
    Participant

This looks like an exciting build subscribing to this :D live the whipple i honestly considered ditching my turbo for a whipple lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well guys updates at the moment are the new bearings are in and rear main redone. Got 8 an fittings welded onto valve cover for a small temperary catch can. And put in a fan controller for my au thermos. And the old donk has been getting a bit of degrease work almost ready for paint and decided after months of hesitation im ditching the aircon basically because it hardly gets used and makes the bay a bit neater. So hoping might have the motor back in the car by the weekend. But still needs to be dyno’d and tuned properly.  :good:

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well heres the motor after and extractors after one coat.

and also got around to putting a new distributor rotor button and cap on while the back of the whipple was off thought why not. And also got the aeroflow fittings welded onto the valve covers so if all goes well hoping to have her some time next week. And i tell you guys i cant wait to take her for a spin been a while.  :-)   :good:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks awesome. Keep us posted.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking the goods now mate.

Just be wiery the paint on the headers will flake due to the temps.  If it’s in the budget I highly recommend ceramic coating.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

+1 for ceramic coating if it’s in the budget :) just always looks spot on.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Yeah would of loved to have got most of the parts ceramic coated but price was the only issue so just making it look more presentable on the budget i have.  I have done alot of the painting myself in 2 pac polyurethane but the motor and headers were just a spray can job duplicolour i think high heat so see how it goes.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, understand, you have to draw the line somewhere.  Greta build buddy :good:

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

<span style=”color: #454545; font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; text-decoration: -webkit-letterpress;”>Car specs
    </span>

Bodywork all original vr ss anthracite grey changed the orange guard indicators to clear ones all red stripe around car resprayed magma red holden colour.
    Suspension all new nolathane bushes all throughout the car new monroe front shocks rear koni yellows super low king springs. Some parts painted.
    Fuel Walbro gss 342 fuel pump. 8 bosch 42 green ev1 injectors, fabed polished fuel rail welded aeroflow fittings Painted fuel tank 2 pac polyurethane black with silver straps new filter.
    Brakes Slotted front discs bendix pads, brembo rear discs with brembo pads new brake fluid.
    Wheels Simmons fr1 19s with Sumitomo Htr z 3.
    Motor Eagle leads iridium plugs. Haltech sport gm computer. Crow hydraulic cam kit to suit whipple application. More exhaust and lsa. Yella terra shaft mount roller rockers 1.65 ratio, Whipple 2300 intercooled supercharger 8 rib pulley, 90mm proflow throttle, k and n  air filter. New big end and main bearings, rear main, new engine mounts, new exedy heavy duty clutch kit, new trans mount. Abs unit polished valve covers polished. Removed air con.
    Diff rebuilt and lsd centre with new bearings seals and 3.7 ratio gears new diff mount with nolathane axel tramp reducer.
    Exhaust Pacemaker trys meet a single 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust, high flow cat with a megaflow muffler.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of jlss jlss.
    Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Hey guys just recent update got the car back friday and been good to familiarise myself with it again. Daily is a 4×4 ute. And the power is great. Dont have any dyno numbers due to a slipping new clutch But i personally am very happy. Great car to drive and it has great pull now and the whipple whine is something else. Puts a big grin on my face ha ha   :yahoo:  il get some more pics up soon.

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Love the car mate and the whipple,great choice.Seriously considered one of these but couldn’t bring myself to remove the Grp A manifold,always wanted the twin throttles for as long as i can remember.

Heaps of potential for the future.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Cheers man. Your ute is a nice ride if i must say. Would be a handful the 355??? And yeah id love to stroke the old girl at a later stage and up the boost but at the moment loving it.

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Stroke it as soon as you can afford it,really gets them moving the extra 50 cubes.Would love to have a go at a nice 383 and see the torque vs revability against my 355.

Would be a handful the 355???

Yes it was,had to be careful with the throttle.A lot better now.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

So took the old girl to work today and noticed the throttle is getting a lil sticky as a result is idling slightly high over 1000. And my fuel gauge was noticing it stuck in traffic.  :negative:  weird because when i give it gas at the throttle and let go it sits at high rpm but when a give it a lil push back it sits right (around 750 800). So plan is to check that out tomorrow, go for another spin and go cut some firewood.

See how i go???

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If they are the only issues you have done great!

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice set up man

Chuck another spring butterfly

Common problem

Myn did it as well, at idle it will hold the throttles open a little

Myn would touch throttlw and sit on 2000rpm

You will notice with bonnet up lightly let throttle back and it will hold open but push it back and will idle normally

Spring fixes all that up

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Cheers Vs manta will check it out today. And have other smaller issues gary but overall i think its turned out not bad.

My old man and me went for a drive the other day in it and he was quite surprised being a aussie muscle car man from way back.It was good to take him for a ride and him not be critical or negative ha ha.

Bet there would be some guys who know the feeling???????

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ for sure, the “why go to all this effort for just a Commodore” brigade.  Until you hit the loud pedal, that tends to shut them up ;-)

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I always thought you were supposed to have 2 return springs on the butterflies for safety reasons.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Im not to sure about 2 but ive been fiddleing with putting one return spring on and the idleing has increased to 1500??? It only drops once i push the throttle body back then when i let go it increases??? :scratch:

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.