This topic contains 134 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jlss jlss 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Hey guys been meaning to put my build up for a while and finally got a round to it.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very tidy mate, more specs?

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

So she’s a fairly stock 304.

-custom crow blower cam kit.

-yella terra shaft mount rockers

-pacemaker trys with 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust with megaflow muffler
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>-2.4 litre whipple intercooled supercharger with 90mm throttle k&n filter</p>
    -all nolathane bushes with koni rear shocks and monroe fronts on king springs new diff mount, engine mounts and gearbox mount

-one piece fr 19s

– heaps of other stuff il eventually add in no doubt.  :good:

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Obviously big plans if you decided to go with the whipple?

Even on low boost it would be a fair handful?

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well for the price i think it would of been wiser to do an ls conversion but something in me said keep the aussie motor. And it hasnt been tuned yet. Running 10 psi atm was running 14 but told it was to high for the stock bottom end and want a bit of reliability.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Looks really nice be fun when tuned. Whos tuning it?

You should try seal in that pod too

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

By seal do you mean box it in. Im thinking about doing something with it just havnt got around to it yet. And its at howell automotive but if im thinking i might go to pro automotive i heard the guys out there are good with old 5 litres.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well my LS love is well documented, but that does look great.  Always loved the red highlights on the SS.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant
    Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Yeah i get what you mean sands vs. i was actually thinking when i get some time i might have a go and try make my own like that but for now thats how she sits.

And yeah i know gary ive read your whole build on street commodores then on here. You must be happy to have it all sorted. I know you helped me alot with new rear lights and when i had driveshaft issues. But yeah all sorted now. Havent driven it much since the whipple went on because it hasnt had a full tune. Since then i took the old otr off and put the pod on, put au thermos up and started planning a catch can.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Heres one of the old setup

Here are some more recent pics

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Nice one !

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

A cooled v2 vortech would be pushing the limits of bottom end at 14psi. This is a whole lot better/worse. The lsx swap make ssense if you want something big and mad like a 454 cube v8 for example  :yahoo: but for tough streeter with reasonable limits building a reliable short motor to support fair hp on the street isn’t difficult with the holden 5ltr. You won’t be spinning it hard with whipple to make power and blower will do 300-400rwkw. If you want more than that in a street car I’d be setting money aside for a funeral plan as well….

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Great looking car!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Certainly a lot of fun to be had with 454 cubes under the bonnet…  Def enjoying mine now, I am almost past the listening for every noise stage and actually enjoy lighting it up.  Gotta sort something out where I can fry some tyres legally and have some fun soon.  Nothing wrong with the Holden V8, it just comes down to choice.  Just love the VR/S, just a really nicely proportioned car I think.  Very nice rig buddy.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

got to agree the holden 5ltr is good I managed to get 480rwhp with 355 and vortech and man was that fun

but it will be a lsa this time can get the same power for less than building the 5ltr plus have room to get a bit more power

anyway nice car bud keep up the good work

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Yeah judge1 i agree if i was to do it again id go a lsa. Alot cheaper and better economy.

Turns out the rear main has gone on the old girl started leaking severly :negative:  so the motor is coming out and getting a new set of bearings while the crank is out and a lick of paint :good: . Cant wait to have it back let me tell you.

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

Does anyone know what max compression ratio these whipples or more importantly this engine will take? At last MotorEx in Vic, bloke at YT stand told me they’ll go on any compression engine.  I was pretty sceptical…

But I like it IJ.  Will you go to the two piece rear main mate?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Profile photo of Narva*2010 Narva*2010.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

would depend on cams and fuel.

Have ve seen some boosted cars run 10.2:1. But they have some big overlap cams that bleed pressure and drop the dynamic comp. This is e85/meth sort of deal.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well guys she looks pretty bare at the moment.

so all looks well at the moment apart from oil all in the bellhousing all over the clutch plate and yeah basically just a oily mess. Ha ha. Mechanic mentioned to me that the bearings were all original and in great condition for how old the girl is. also getting the block heads timing cover water pump and the extractors painted black just to make the whipple and polished parts highlights. And 2 piece seal definitly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.