HomeForumsGeneralThe Pool Roomso what don't you like/hate about your car?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan811 Dan811 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

So I think I can safely assume we all love lots about our cars
    Is there anything you don’t like about your car ? I’m referring to design issues from the manufacturer rather than problems like bad paint job, not enough power etc…

The biggest issue I have with the VH, is the HVAC system….
    Who designed it ? The old ‘H’ series Holdens had a better system

Blower fan flat out makes lots of noise on full speed, blows very little air.
    Ventilation slide controls look like something out of an old Kombi and are next to useless. Fan slide contacts get dirty easily, so usually you have to wiggle the fan control up and down to get it to work at the desired speed.
    Heated air can only be directed to the floor or the windscreen, not the face vents
    Bugger all air comes out of the screen vent, not enough to demist the screen in heavy rain
    A/C is crap, barely adequate.
    Because there is no ‘air mix’ door,  you can’t adjust the temperature of the A/C to the face vents . It’s either on or it’s off. If you want the A/C on, but not at the coldest setting, the best you can do is shut the face vents off and run the heater to the floor with the A/C on and use the heater flap as an air mix door

When I eventually strip the car to paint it, I’m thinking about retrofitting a VK/VL HVAC system into it.
    The other issue is the electrics
    Was Holden not aware of relays back in the 80’s ? No headlight relays, no wiper relays… Wiring gets old and nothing works…. And then there are those ceramic fuses that make such bad contact that they melt the fusebox….. Headlights flickering, need to twist the fuse back and forth to get the rear demister working… I’ll be converting those to blade fuses in the not too distant future..

So what’s your gripe with your beloved car ? :)

• This topic was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    Profile photo of braddles
    braddles
    Participant

In my calaisv wagon, front parking sensors sound when it’s in reverse.

Doesn’t make sense to me

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Whoever at GM decided that on a car with a windscreen the size of a VR Commodore that the window washer squirters could be the size of a Fiat Bambino was a moron. Thankfully they changed it in the VS though, sadly VS ones won’t fit a VR bonnet cut out though :(

braddles
    Participant

Gary it’d be good if you could fit ve wiper arms, they’ve got the squirters on the arms themselves and spray on the screen from two outlets per arm. They’re brilliant

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of braddles braddles.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey that’s a great idea Braddles, hadn’t thought of that, that’s one I might add to the list of jobs to do one day, cheers

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

Whoever at GM decided that on a car with a windscreen the size of a VR Commodore that the window washer squirters could be the size of a Fiat Bambino was a moron. Thankfully they changed it in the VS though, sadly VS ones won’t fit a VR bonnet cut out though :(

the damn things block up all the time too. Mine are way past their used by date
    Rare Spares wants nearly $70 for a pair…..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I scoured the local UPI for ages until finding a couple that worked still, although they look tired. Tried blowing my blocked ones out with compressed air but no joy. I do like the idea of coming up with some sort of VE style gizmo, surely couldn’t be that difficult.

The other change I notice when i got my first VS was how much wider and easier to use the rear vision mirror is. Its another one on the list one day to score one from a wrecker and fit it.

Profile photo of Wombles
    Wombles
    Participant
    • 1995 VS Acclaim v6. Soon to be supercharged 1995 VS Executive 5L. 1973 Holden Torana Deluxe

• View build HERE

The idea of putting a dizzy up the rear in the mess of wiring, fuel lines, coolant hoses etc. (5L)

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

The idea of putting a dizzy up the rear in the mess of wiring, fuel lines, coolant hoses etc. (5L)

although it was better than Fords idea of sticking at the front of the engine. As soon as the car hit water, the fan would blow the water straight into the distributor lol :)

braddles
    Participant

its even worse on a kingswood/wb, lift a wet bonnet and all the water pisses into the dizzy

Profile photo of EJ DUDE
    EJ DUDE
    Participant

I hate that mines not finished, other than that, wouldn’t change a thing.

Profile photo of Brockfan05
    Brockfan05
    Participant
    Supporter

I hate that mine isnt started yet…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I hate that mines not through rego but the hold up isn’t me, sooo frustrating…

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

The creaky plastics and leaking rear quarter windows ( now fixed !)

Profile photo of wicksy
    wicksy
    Participant

Sounds really lame but in our VF SS Wagon, the front seatbelts you cant adjust the height on them from the pillar that annoys me

Profile photo of Swathe
    Swathe
    Participant
    Supporter

Fucked door rubbers, sagging roof lining and needs a well alignment.

Oh and no working AC in Central QLD fucking sucks lol.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Swathe Swathe.
    Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

My Roof lining is sagging…. And I really have no time to fix it with the birth of my son any day now, and knock sensors needing replacing more urgently :S

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

…with the birth of my son any day now

Congrats and good luck with that mate :good:

Profile photo of Swathe
    Swathe
    Participant
    Supporter

My Roof lining is sagging…. And I really have no time to fix it with the birth of my son any day now, and knock sensors needing replacing more urgently :S

Nothing like the birth of your kids man, congrats.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

I actually cant think of anything I hate about my Senator in regards to build quality and standard features etc.

Probably just how hard it is to find a decent set of wheels in a decent offset, without having to sacrifice tyre width because of the bloody join between the rear quarter and back doors. I want 285’s damn it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.