This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Swathe Swathe 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Swathe
    Swathe
    Participant
    Supporter

This is my first attempt at doing a build log. Updates won’t be too frequent as money is pretty tight at the moment but I’ll try and cover everything I get done or do :)

For a Ford man I’ve owned a fair few Holdens. I did have a 98 Series 3 VS Statesman with the blown 6 and kept that for 3 years which is always a record for me, but I decided I wanted something else and something I hadn’t owned before.

I’ve always hated VLs. As soon as I look at one I think “Long wheel based Camira”. Of course the RB30’s in them have a fearsome and well deserved reputation for making serious horsepower for fairly cheap. Most of my mates are Commodore nuts and a a few own or have owned VL’s and after looking at them I started to feel a change of heart. So when one came up locally for cheap, I flogged off the Stato and bought my first VL.

Build date was January 86, factory manual with 3.45 diff (Drum brake rear boo!!) and factory colour was Dulax Butternut Yellow with Sandlewood interior and came with AC (Not working lol)

It was cheap ($1650 with a roadworrthy) and to get the roady the mechanic selling it had to replace a welsh plug, alternator, starter motor, swaybar bushed, coil and distributor cap.

It’s full muzza spec with stereo, loud paint and chrome wheels, all of which I hate.

The paint job on it is about 15 years old and the clear is cactus on the roof and boot.

The stereo install is just as old, I’ve since ripped it all out and flogged it off for $150 haha

After 24 hours of owning it I got a nice taste of the VL life  B-)

I assumed it was the Crank Angle Sensor which it was but the lifter pump in the tank was also knackered so it and the external one were replaced.

Anyway, end goal is to clean it up, basic turbo setup then build a serious HP motor on the side. Interior needs some serious attention, will do pics and a post about that on the weekend :)

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Swathe Swathe.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.