HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralECU & TuningMap sensor location vs

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of HDN05L HDN05L 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi folks

I need some assistance to help locate the map sensor on a vs s3 5L ute. Its not located on the back of the fire wall. I need to swap it over with a 2 bar map sensor to run my supercharger..

Any photos of location or wiring diagram would be great. Being a vs s3 5L i’m having trouble finding any info on it.

Any help greatly appreciated

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Pretty certain S3 was Air Flow Meter not map sensor. So it won’t have one on a Series 3.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Pretty certain S3 was Air Flow Meter not map sensor. So it won’t have one on a Series 3.

depends on what year it is, up until December 1998 they still had MAP Sensors, Post January 1999 they had Air flow Meters.

my VS Sedan runs a the post December 1999 setup so it originally had a Air flow meter, but had my tuner Remove it and re-tuned it using a MAP Sensor. this setup would use a different airbox to normal, the engine number if not a HSV enhanced engine would start with a VM prefix. they also have a different computer, 3 plug type.

if its the Pre December 1998 setup the MAP should be in the same spot as all VN-VS’s but they are mounted on a removable bracket. these would have engine with a VU prefix (same as most VN-VS’s) excluding HSV enhanced cars. computer has 2 plugs.

as for wiring i can help you out i have wiring diagrams for both setups

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

looking at your pictures yours is defiantly a SIII with a roller cam VM Engine, theres 2 ways you can set it up.

either do what i did have and have MAP Sensor wired in, and MAF Removed and the Computer re-tuned to suit, you will keep the sequential injection that these come out with on the roller engines but these computer’s, the 3 plug type-cannot be tuned to rev past 6200-6300rpm.

the other option is to use the earlier VS Series 3 setup, change wiring harness, computer and dizzy to the slightly earlier type, you will loose the sequential injection but this will then have a standard MAP sensor. these computers the 2 plug type, can be tuned to rev up to approx 9000rpm from what i have been told.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks exec24 good to know there are options.

I was thinking of trying to incorporate the maf sensor in the SC plumbing then into the TB, would that then be tuneable using standard ecu?

Always appreciate knowledge on this forum!

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

im not too sure on that, normally i’ve seen either a MAP sensor or MAF Sensor Tuned, but cant see i’ve seen both at once.

all depends on what your plans are for your engine, if your leaving it practically stock except the charger i’d probably do what i’ve had done to my VS and wire a MAP Sensor in and remove the MAF. the 6200-6300 rpm it can be tuned to would still be plenty for most 5lts, much more and you probably only break something anyway

to wire in a Map sensor i think its only 3 wires anyway, but then you just need to find a Delco Tuner

Profile photo of ACE PERFORMANCE TUNING
    ACE PERFORMANCE TUNING
    Participant
    Supporter

Series 3 with the maf don’t have a map sensor and you cant just do a simple swap.

They only  way it can be done is with kalmaker and a map

sensor is wired in somehow .

But the tech is very old and dos based and not many workshops are doing it these days due to needing old  laptops and paying for security for each car.

Also the series 3 and vt tunes are very limited with what you can do

6300rpm,airflow is limited and you may max out the maf and spark tables.

Best option is to get the vs manual ecu and engine harness and swap it over.

This will give more tuning options  and you can run a 2bar map sensor

and tune the delco ecu with custom 2 bar tune or use one of the new haltech ecu’s

as a direct plug in.

The sequential injection you wont notice any difference imo

over batch fire  vn-vs ecu’s.

Changing ecu and harness is easy but you

will need to fit a port for map sensor modify the wiring on the vt dizzy

or use a vn-vs distributor and drill  and tap for mat sensor in the manifold.

Manifold off job really and imo prob easy just to source earlier vn-vs parts

unless your using an aftermarket intake manifold.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

thanks for the feedback guys always good to get a clear understanding of limitations and options. Cheers Joe

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.