HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralExhaustMaking some kick ass pipes for 2nd gen commodore

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Are yours only come in and out with engine.

I was looking at pic of yours thinking how on earth do they come in and out in 1 piece

but really once there in who pulls them out, the main thing is the steering rack and starter can come out with them in and it’s all sweet

I carnt put myn in with engine and frame any more, I had the pacemakers fitted last time I dropped and refitted engine and it’s makes life easy pulling motor box out underneath with them fitted

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Yeah mine you have to drop the lot out the bottom and as you say how often do you need to pull headers, usually if you do there’s something else broken so the lot needs to come out anyway, I can get the whole powertrain out of the Tonner in a bit over 2 hours and it has a lot more attached than the Lex both being AWD so no biggie.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Wait what the!!

You have a tonner that’s all wheel drive ??

What model ??

Profile photo of

VZ, the one in my avatar.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Arrr I didn’t know that was AWD as well

good on you, that must be a effort to convert that

Profile photo of

Arrr I didn’t know that was AWD as well good on you, that must be a effort to convert that

Was  AWD stock B-)

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Is it one of them cross 6 utes or something is it ??

Profile photo of

Is it one of them cross 6 utes or something is it ??

Yeah it was, I converted it to V8 after I got it then did the Blown Stroker thing before deciding it wasn’t such a hot idea for a DD so I pulled the drivetrain and used it in the Lexcen, I then built another driveline using a 5.7L

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

So for the last post from me about the pipes is the finished results

pipes are coated in ceracoat HPC both inside and out and is ratted to 1200C

they are very simple in install but only because I know the order in witch they go in

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Nice work mate

u gonna run those senders in the headers

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Senders in the headers ??

The 1/8 npt are for EGT

i only have 1 EGT sensor at the moment but I just put 1 in every cyilendar for the hell of it, 7 just get blocked off, I have it in cyilendar 4 at the moment

when I get second part of wide band comes a second EGT so will have one in each side

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Of course someone gave you a good reason as to why to coat all the headers.  However in the ideal case you would not coat the inside of your turbo 2″ longer-than-normal setup. Outside definitely, as the main purpose is to increase the velocity by keeping EGT as high as possible through to end of primaries.

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

That is a good point there pirate

I didn’t give it to much thought on that princable

I’m  just trying to keep under bonnet temps down as much as possible so that was the only reason I went with both inside and out

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Farkin hell mate, awesome work :good:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Cheers Gary, and also I would like to thank everyone who has put in ideas and help, pirate that info on lengths, pipe sizes you posted way back on page 2 or so was absolutely awesome and thank you for that valuable info

thanks to all that posted pics and ideas of others pipes for ideas to work off as well

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Curious does it sound much different and can you notice any gains?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ trouble is this beast is making north of 800hp, how do you notice the difference between say 800 or 850hp except on a dyno or drag strip…

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

^ trouble is this beast is making north of 800hp, how do you notice the difference between say 800 or 850hp except on a dyno or drag strip…

THIS^^^

800 or 850 doesn’t really matter, putting it down to the ground is still going to be a struggle.

But then again, you only have enough horsepower if you’re scared to use it all

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Got it fired up last weekend and this weekend, It’s running a new harness and PCM now so it’s only got a base tune we made up to start it and make sure I don’t have any problems before we start road tuning next weekend

honestly I think it’s a bit quiter at idle then the old pacemaker 5002

sound wise I Can not really tell any difference

do t think I will notice any difference because last time I drove this I eased the power on at 90km/h in 3rd and by the time I got to about 85% throttle and 5000rpm it just lost all traction and left 2 black marks on the road

now im on e85 and about to turn on the water with injection I don’t think it’s goin to get any better

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Ok well thought I should post my results

all I have changed is pipes and converted to e85

Sound wise compared to pacemakers 5002 goin straight to twin 3 inch system and now using these pipes to the tapered collector and the 3.5 inch cats and 3.5 pipes to rear of gear box where it connects to my twin 3 inch system

It is quiter, noticbly quiter on light throttle and idle, 2000-3000 rpm with bit of throttle sounds much better, use to have a drowning sound and now is much nicer v8 rumble sound

Low torque – all that said I would loose low torque are severely wrong, I have picked up a whopping 200rwnm below 3000rpm

Mid to top end I can not confirm yet as I only have 11.5 degrees timing at top end for now till I clock a few more km on my new engine and we crank the timing up a bit but at that I still have trouble keeping it tied to dyno making 400rwkw at 5900rpm @11psi and then spinning hard and smoking the tyres on dyno and the power line just goes flat and boost continues climbing till where power should fall over at 6800rpm

The biggest difference of all

My boost

before at 6800rpm I had 18 psi

now at 6800rpm I have between 13-14 psi

That goes to show how much the pacemakers really where choking it up, I thought they would of been choking it and this is hard proof they where and this is also hard proof the pipes are working well

Thanks all that helped me out through there build

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of vs manta 218 vs manta 218.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.