HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralExhaustMaking some kick ass pipes for 2nd gen commodore

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

No they actually miss interrupted me and sent me a weird ass weld together collector that is hideous so I got a set of aeroflow slip on stainless collectors

they go from 2 3/4 to 3.5 inch

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Ahhh ok!

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

See them in the pic

thats it, no little quarter cuts for the internal parts of pipes or nothing

the pipes don’t fit in it nicely, and I have no idea how one would weld it up as when you put 4 pipes in it there is 5mm gaps every where

And here is the Aeroflot ones I got

Profile photo of

It’s easy when you know how :yahoo:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Like this ??

Yes I googled it when I first received it lol, but the pipes do t fit in the merge very nicely either

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Once again mate full marks for having the kahoonas to tackle this yourself.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Cheers gary, i wont lie at first when i got about 2/3 i though i wasnt goin to be able to get them in and out but its worked out quite well and can get them in and out nicely

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Passenger side is starting to come together

So now at this stage I know witch is longer and shorter so instead of just making them all take the quickest path to the collector I know cyilendar 6 (the top pipe) is the shortest so it will wrap around the rest and go in the collector at inner side bottom, and cyilendar 4 (second from bottom) is second shortest so it will also be the one to do the wrapping around to collector

cyilendars 1 and 8  (lowest and second from top) been the longest will take the quickest paths to collector

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Done

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

And drivers side for any that have missed it

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

All made up

brother in law is tig welding it up for me

so full exhaust on my v7 blowen 355 is 4 into 1 pipes that are 1 7/8 for 8 inches then 2 inch for total length of 40 inches with a slip on merge collector that is 2 3/4 inch then tappers to 3.5 inch and 3.5 inch Magna flow 100cpi cats and 3.5 inch pipes to 100 mm past second join flange then tapers down to 3 inch rest of way with custom merge for 12 inches with diffilipno mid mufflers and varex rear mufflers

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

You Sir win.

That is all  :good:

Profile photo of LUBE UP
    LUBE UP
    Participant

:good: Good job mate,  :good:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks people’s

It’s massively sign of relieve know I have actually done it, as the whole time it’s always a little daunting if it’s actually possible to fit 4 by 2 inch pipes past a high torque starter motor and around a steering rack, but it can be done, and it’s possible to make them all similar length as well and all with no real plan it was just go with the flow when I was making them

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

So what was the total cost to build them you would have saved yourself a fortune in the process

Getting them coated ?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

All made up brother in law is tig welding it up for me so full exhaust on my v7 blowen 355 is 4 into 1 pipes that are 1 7/8 for 8 inches then 2 inch for total length of 40 inches with a slip on merge collector that is 2 3/4 inch then tappers to 3.5 inch and 3.5 inch Magna flow 100cpi cats and 3.5 inch pipes to 100 mm past second join flange then tapers down to 3 inch rest of way with custom merge for 12 inches with diffilipno mid mufflers and varex rear mufflers

LOL I think I had to read this sentence 5 times to understand it…

Well done mate, it looks like a huge undertaking with plenty of niggles, but something you should be really proud of. I can’t imagine a professional  could do a much better job than that anyways

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Total cost of material was $650 for the diffilipno stuff and $400 for collectors and will be another $400 for HPC witch iv found a place local to me that uses cerakote Heat barrier product that will be black

iv got a few parts I don’t need, such as a bit of 3 inch pipe and them weld on collectors and a few left over 2 inch flanges, but I used every single bend I had from diffilipno

I know another person   Who brought a set second hand that are very similar and are  1 7/8 for first 10 inches then 2 inch 4 into 1 and they suposdly cost $3500+ to build new and sold for $1500 years later and they haven’t been HPC coated

honestly I carnt see anyone building these and fully tig welding them for under $4g as the labour hours would be enormous

Profile photo of

Most quotes I’ve seen for this sort of work are around the 4K mark, finished my last set for just under 1K.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah I would expect to pay around $4G for a set custom made by someone, if it come in at $3500 I would be really surprised and I wouldnt at all be surprised if it went to $4500 and would expect another $400+ On top for HPC

your set look amazing IJ you did a really nice job

Profile photo of

Yeah I would expect to pay around $4G for a set custom made by someone, if it come in at $3500 I would be really surprised and I wouldnt at all be surprised if it went to $4500 and would expect another $400+ On top for HPC your set look amazing IJ you did a really nice job

Thanks Manta, would have been nicer if I could TIG better in steel…

Yours came up much better than expected considering the squeeze to get 2″ in there, well done!

In hindsight I should have done them with Merge Collectors like you did would have made it possible to pull the pipes without dropping the engine and subframe….

Sometimes you get stuck in your ways been doing them like this forever, maybe if I ever do another set… :wacko:

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.