HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralExhaustMaking some kick ass pipes for 2nd gen commodore

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ I guess you have to say apart from the satisfaction of building your own that’s solid advice. Pete, David Vizard burst on the scene maybe 30 years ago as the guru of building ultimate hp Minis (don’t laugh). He then went on to other stuff, I have a book I am pretty sure he wrote on nitrous oxide for example. He is a no nonsense guy but based all his stuff on theory. Well worth reading.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes I also know a few people that have run 9s on 5002  1 3/4 picies of the shelf, but iv also seen one  of them cars gain quite a lot by goin 2 inch 4 into 1 and still drives quite fine so they where restricting it from what it was capable of doin

im not doin it because I’m after more power, I’m doin it because I think it’s what the combo crys for and wants

I’ll just go back a gear or clutch it and wait for the car to catch up to the wheels speed lol

I do know what every one is saying about the low torque and this is a great conversation, I really do know what delco wizard is saying and I do really appreciate the input because bigger isn’t always better

On the above even low to mid torque says between 1.86 – 1.987 or for 2 stepped is same and steped after 10 inches witch when converted is 1 7/8 to 2 inch just like I’m doin unless I do the cone idea witch I really like

even the collector suggest 3.5 or bigger and for max hp says 4 inch witch is what blakes done on his vnss i think

if I had a hydrolic cam in the 23# 24# that reved to 6000 rpm I would no doubt do 1 7/8 with 3inch collectors

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My experience is (for what it’s worth) unless you are running this on the strip constantly you won’t actually see or feel the real gain.  But then that’s not what car building is always about.  Sometimes it’s about trying something you think matters and seeing where it takes you. Who on here can say they built their own extractors?  If I did I would be researching the crap out of the best runner lengths and diameters. At the end of the day you are boosted. I imagine the best money you can spend is on the rotating assembly and block.  Want more power, turn up the boost.

for what it’s worth that is why my car is big capacity, NA.  Been down that path, in my day it was huge cam, peaky power. Stuff that for the street. But as I say, car modifying is about the heart not the brain.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

For me an exhaust is about the brain, then the ears, the seat of your pants then the heart. Oh, yeah then the missus then the cops.

Thing is nobody gets to see under the car usually:

but I like the fact it represents what I can achieve leveraging my own reason and wit, rather than being suckered by any marketing brand. That freaks some people out, not getting stuff off the shelf, keeping quiet and doing it right yourself.

Follows same job satisfaction of making kick arse wine and not having a brand that’s in the supermarkets :scratch:

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

Profile photo of delcowizzid
    delcowizzid
    Participant

is that hot spots after the cats or camera playing games looks like thats where an h-pipe should be its in the general area that every system ive ever made for v8 has had the h-pipe fitted

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

is that hot spots after the cats or camera playing games looks like thats where an h-pipe should be its in the general area that every system ive ever made for v8 has had the h-pipe fitted

No H-pipe, x-pipe! And that’s way down past the tunnel brace at the rear (second harmonic), straight pipe – nothing in between. H-pipe doesn’t split the double pulse for low down torque.

What appears a hot spot is definitely not hot, after 16″ expanding megaphone incorporating cats.  Just fresh install weld marks.

Also the system is tuned for ethanol, 100° cooler EGT.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Pirate do u race your car?

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

No way officer.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Haha Do I even lift, Bro?

Yeah but nah its a two-tonne rockin’ rep wagon, so ima…

Living easy loving free, season ticket on a one way ride

Askin’ nothing leave me be, takin’ everythin’ in my stride

Tweak my engine, V-V-T

Ain’t nothin’ that I’d rather do…

High compression Party time!

My friends are gonna be there too (woohoo!)

No stop signs / Speed limits

Nobody’s gonna slow me down

Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Nobody’s gonna mess me around

Hey satan, paid ma dues

Drivin’ round with that stocko sound

Hey Coppa, look at me!! I’m on my way to the promised land… Whoo!

Sorry I digress. Mainly race up the shops and back.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Might NOT have been such a hot idea plumbing the exhaust into the cabin Pir4te :wacko:

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

:yahoo: Nah having some brews at the Beach Hotel, Byron Bay and a bit charged to get my car back shortly :-)

Profile photo of

Nah having some brews at the Beach Hotel, Byron Bay and a bit charged to get my car back shortly

LOL long way from home, always good to get one back and running.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Great so your in Byron bay and I’m in the frickin dessert

way to make my day lol

Profile photo of

Pics? Progress?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Well these turned up today

progress ss will start this weekend but I really think it’s goin to be at least 3 weekends or more to make these

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

And also think I’m goin to need to use proper slip on merge collectors as I relay think each pipe will need to be installed individually then the collector slipped over them

will see how I go

Profile photo of

Cool, looking forward to the progress :XD:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

So started making pipes from cyilenders 1 and 3 to start with, I’m definetly getting some slip on collectors and each pipe is individually fitted

first problem was was the flange didn’t even fit, so had to grind down some spots, this is just rough as and just getting it fitted, I’ll smooth them up and round all the out sides nicely soon

So first was getting the 1 7/8 parts on and these are 8 inches long and in my case I had to make cyilendar 1 clear the alternator

Then can see here iv gone under the engine mount with these 2 pipes as that gives me heaps of room for pipes on pots 5 and 7

So these 2 pipes ended up looking like this so far and both come out near bell housing ready for when the collectors turn up I can add the rest to connect up

these 2 pipes where fearly easy and are the longest that had to be done so this is the length I’m sticking to now

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Then I got the 1 7/8 inch 8inch long parts fitted to cyilendars 5 and 7

5 and 7 are a little out of wack to each other so I’ll fix that before I continue on

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate seriously have to admire your willingness to have a go. Can’t wait to see how these turn out  :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.