This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 9 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

you guys should take a look here too..

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/index.php

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes im on there, havent posted on it but iv been snooping around lol

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi Pete, good onya mate for taking this on, no doubt will be a steep learning curve but has to be pretty satisfying to do t all yourself.  You have done everything else why tune it too.  Not sure if you are a reader or not but if you are after some books to understand the principles of the actual tune (not the ECU) my tuner recommended this book to me, but also although its old, a book called “Tuning for Speed” by Phil Irving, is considered by old school tuners as a bit of a bible.   Its old but all the principals still apply, its just with electronic control you have so much more scope to control everything.  Phil Irving was actually an Aussie who was world renown back in the day, pretty cool guy…

When you get stuck into be good to start a new clean thread and describe your progress etc, its something I am sure a lot of us would love to get some basic understanding of, at least follow your progress :good:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks gary

I will be down loading that for sure

It just carnt be that hard, sure to be a professional tuner and get it right in a resonasble time frame but on your own car you have all the time in the world and i have warnings from wide band and egt for fail safe so its something worth doin for me

Iv been seeing people how they do tuning on there own cars and it really isnt that hard

When considering can buy efi live for under $1000 it will save money just in the instance of a diff gear change and wanting to correct speedo

Or if i want to change where water meth kicks in i can clean up the afr or if i decide to throw 100hp of nos i can pull 4 degrees of timing out at the push of a button

And could do a second tune for e85 when i get a bit more experience

Or say i get a shit batch of fuel i could pull a few degrees just like that

Ever since i got the wide band/egt data logging system it was always the plan to one day learn and that day is near

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Totally agree mate, if I was a bit younger with more time I would have a go too.  I mean its not like you are starting with an engine that’s not running.  You have a base line tune, so I imagine you can just start to make some small adjustments to that and worse case reload the original tune?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

It just runs a ls1 OS so i can use any program

Cool, be prepared to lose a BIG Chunk of your life B-)

Another handy feature of EFI Live is being able to store a few files on the Dongle so if anything ever goes wrong you can load a known working backup in and continue on your way!

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes thats exactly it, can save orgional tune and work on it and if i fail go back and start again

Its not like i will be making massive adjustments, i will only be doin little fine tweaks to make things better

Im not building a tune from scratch, i will leave that part for a pro at first

And yes i know it will takena large chunk of my life but thats half the fun

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Totally agree mate, if I was a bit younger with more time I would have a go too.

What do you mean by that? Hahaha You are a empty nester should have all the time in the world! hahaha  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

lol I wish, running a business, building (finishing)a senator, building a kombi, organising a holiday, starting a Forum, learning guitar. Man i sooooo wish I was 20 years younger  :wacko:   All fun though :)

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.