This topic contains 58 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 30/11/2011

Next step ready for paint:

Rust seal can be painted on with a brush or sponge roller or sprayed on. I decided to spray it. Use a normal gun with a smaller tip if possible, Thin it down with the matching solvent from KBS 5-10%. Adjust spray gun to spray a fine coating rather than a hektik coat otherwise you will get drips like i did (which is going to be fun to repair now)

Hit it with 2 coats at least. Dont spray the second coat until its touch dry. Flash time is not as fast as 2k or Acrylic, at least 1.5-2 hrs between coats, so allow enough time

The result is a very tough 2k hardness like coating, that looks great and is tough as nails

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 23/12/2011

took the transmission to the transmission builder for a stripdown today he stripped it down in front of me in 20 minutes

all that was really wrong was a stuffed sun gear so he’ ll build it strong for me by January

(OLD POST) 28/1/2012

While waiting on the paint it has been an epic month. Trying to get the driveline all complete, ready to go- so this month I have spent nearly all my money on the driveline!

Picked up a 28 spline single spiiner VLT diff and stripped it-

3:45’s, single spjnner centre OUT

3.89 gears +LSD centre going IN

Also removed axles, ready to go to the diff bloke

In the next few weeks need to

-Pick up auto

-Pick up carby

-Find a tailshaft from a VL and use the rear half of that with the front half of my V8 tailshaft

-Source a rubber kit and chrome door strikers

-Remove tint from old glass

-Take diff to get rebuilt

-Paint diff with KBS equipment

-Start looking/planning the VT brake conversion

-Get a new front end bush kit (Urathane)

Ill try and get some happy snaps up to keep the interest going!

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 31/3/2012

Doors are now on and painted- now for the rest of the stuff.

Also been cleaning up some door parts

Getting there slowly…

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 1/2/2012

Picked up my reco-quaddy today! Wrapped with it. Looks the goods and is a 800cfm rated unit but being vac sec, is dynamically controlled to only use what it needs.

(OLD POST) 8/2/20120

Here’s some more pics of the old rochy- note the size of the primaries and secondaries

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 15/2/2012

Another piece of the puzzle. Picked up the auto today. Next step is to ge the diff done but that will have to wait till next payday….

Going to pick up the rubber kit tomorrow and check the panelbeaters progress so maybe more pics…

(OLD POST) 1/3/12

Spend the weekend cleaning up the old rubber seals and windows. Removed all the old tint and will polish the windows with glass polish just before i put them all back in the car.

The rubber seals are fine, and it turns out i have about 3 pairs because I had so many spares- I guess that’s an advantage to always buying bits and pieces cheap off ebay and taking advantage. I also had 3 sets of door belts and have picked the best set out of them, with no dings or scratches in the chrome. just have to figure out a way to make the rubber part look new again (but dealing with the flexibility problem- can’t just paint them or they will crack)

Visited the panelbeater yesterday and all the parts have been painted now. All that needs to be done is stoneguarding, the blackouts and the boot (all black)

that photo was taken before clear coat.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 13/3/2012

Been making some massive progress lately..

Spend a whole weekend of spare time a few weeks ago removing old tint

Door glass

Hired a britex machine from Coles and cleaned the interior Seats, door trims, kick panels, sun visors etc.

Rear Seat

Front Seat (chosen from the 4  i have lol)

(Pic to come)

Door trims ( will pick the best of 8)

(Pic to come)

The OG one piece carpet i picked up a few months ago for $10 came up alright after alot of TLC

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 13/3/2012

Blackouts DONE:

Boot, grille,calais rear garnishes DONE:

Inner Guards DONE:

Moulds, Bumpers ETC DONE

Manifold, Rocker covers painted in Orion Silver 2K to match engine with bay

(this means I can finish the motor now!)

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 13/3/2012

The car as it sits now- starting to look more like a VK Calais now!

That’s it for now…I expect pick up the car in 1-2 weeks time.

I CANT WAIT!!!! Going to get this bad boy back together. NEEDS to be done by 24/11/12 for my wedding

(OLD POST) 5/4/2012

Got the car back last week. Been too busy to take pictures of it. There are a few things that will eventually need to be touched up when the car is mobile, but I’m pretty happy with the job. just trying to find some missing pieces from the puzzle now. Spent about 2 hours the other day trying to work out why i couldnt get the rear left door handle back in only to realise that I was trying to put a front one in lol. I have to get a rear left as I have 2 front lefts. Also chromes on bumpers are not too flash so working on finding some good ones. Going for a long drive on monday to get some parts from a private seller.

Its pretty daunting knowing how much i still need to do!. I also want to hit inside the roof with some rust preventative product as there is some surface rust that I don’t like the look of. Going to hit it with some killrust and some Noxyde to deaden. this should well and truly protect the roof into the far future. Will also do the floor of the car for the same effect.

Trying to sort out some struts for the boot and bonnet now as I can’t work properly without anything to hold them up.

Finding little bits and pieces like the grommets at the bottom of the grille hard to find and you cant buy them new.

Also getting a new boot lock re-keyed to accept the same key as the rest of the locks.

Once I get everything sealed satisfactorily and go over the inner guards a but thicker, I can proceed to pull the k frame and front suspension out and start putting in new components.

Diff is getting built now. 28 Spline VL diff with 3.89’s and LSD

lots of work !

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 18/4/2012

Striped all the old insulation off the roof and sanded some surface rust on the inside of the interior. Was lots of fun, being careful to not be to rough and dint the roof. Turns out “painting” the insulation with mineral turps and slowly easing it off works well, following with more turps and a razor blade to scrape off the adhesive. Mineral turbs eats right into the adhesive rendering it useless! Dont try this at home unless you have massive patience. I should have done this prior to paint.

Just need to give it a quick coat of some rust paint with the roller this week and then i can concentrate on the wiring and suspension. Ordered a vt master to vs booster adapter today just need to source a vs plastic booster and vt mater and will mate them together while the bay is still empty. Once done, I can order a vt brake conversion.

I’ll take some snaps of the roof when i get a chance. Also mounted rear  boot lock, boot strip so whole ass end is on now, just need to make some minor adjustments to the chrome mould on the boot strip

Grille is on, just need to mount headlights. Found some opera window surrounds so will take them to get 2packed black as well.

(OLD POST 19/4/2012)

Roof was looking like this after the prep and removal of old insulation and glue. Sanded back the surface rust.

Hit it with the foller and a foam brush with some killrust silver paint yesterday, looks much better and makes me feel better about the roof

As the car is sitting now:

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 28/5/2012

Floor pan, parcel shalf and tulip panel all treated and hit with 2 coats of KBS Black. Nice tough and glossy.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 30/1/2013

Well I’ve started working on the VK finally for 2013. Having weekends off is going to be very good for it.

just to recap. This is where I left off last year.

Painted the Diff with the KBS stuff:

Cleaned and painted the inner guards with stoneguard: (suspension strut is sitting there wierd because that happened to be a good place to let it dry)

I also ended up painting the k frame with the same stuff, and getting some brand spankers nolthane bushes pressed in

This weekend, I gloss blacked a few parts i’ve been meaning to do for a while. i need to get the front end back in so I can start to roll the bastard around again.

Tank straps and sway bars

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 2/4/2013

I’ve been doing what I can lately on the car, Fitted the front suspension and k-frame back into the car, Today I started to put new tar mats into it. Used 22 sheets so far, ran out. Need to get another pack. I might just go crazy and double layer some areas like the firewall and transmission tunnel to help reduce road noise.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

This currently brings me to where the car is today, I never made it in time for our wedding unfortunately but I still managed to get 3 VK’s for it. Hopefully this year we will build a driveway and shed and i can resume progress on it. The plans was always to have an awesome 80’s luxury cruiser so if i be patient enough it might actually get there one day to cruise through the hills in.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wow, how much work and effort have you put into this! Great stuff mate, beautiful!!

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

Wow, how much work and effort have you put into this! Great stuff mate, beautiful!!

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I had alot more time back then haha, wish i had that much time now! (and money)

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Great work Julian

good things come to those who wait and when the time is right you’ll  have a wicked cruiser to enjoy on them nice sunny days.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Vkbt1 Vkbt1.
    Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

love this soooo much!

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

great attention to detail
    Love that Quaddy, it came up looking schmick
    Will be good to see the car when it’s finished, it will be like a new car

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I had forgotten about this thing…. Cool rig

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.