This topic contains 58 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 13/4/2010

Some progress shots:

Going good so far, he’s going to try and get the car in primer next week or the following.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 22/4/2010

I was speaking to the painter yesterday and he was telling me about House of Kolor range of colours. He reckons they have a silver which is similiar to asteroid but has better metallics and pearls available, so thats a high probability. Obviously a better quality paint than what is available normally (ppg etc)

Here’s some progress shots:

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 19/5/2010

Just a quick update, got an 80L long range tank from a vs stato, heres some photos compared to the standard tank. This is one of my “side” projects while i wait for my car back..lol..

(OLD POST) 29/5/2010

Stripped the fuel tank, got some live axle straps for it too.

Spent a few hours cleaning it up with thinners, rags and a wire brush. There was this sticker think on the side which looked like dynomat that took ages to get off.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 15/8/2010

some progress: picked up the cam & lifters- will take everyting to the builder this week!

some shots:

Cheers

Julian

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 15/11/2010

With the weather getting better, I am going to have a crack at doing some “side projects” while i wait for my panelbeater to finish his work. Engine should be finished soon also, they guy found a sleeve in one of the bores bur said its alright and has no movement. The bottom end has been disassembled and checked, had new bearings and rings put it. He’s just working out the compression and shaving the heads/block to suit now. Not in a real hurry for the engine anyway.

So here’s an example of a “side project”…..

Method (for those interested in having a crack):

-Wet sand with 800 grit sandpaper

-Wet sand with 1200 grit sandpaper

-Wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper

-Smear thin layer of autosol and rub in

-Use josco polishing wheel and cheap $20 drill to polish the living shit through them

Here’s some snaps!

Old vs. new (the original product on the left ;) )

Enjoy

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 14/12/2010

Engine bay done- Some progress

Very Happy!!!

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 16/12/2010

Another acquisition- period correct radio.

Unchopped- will test soon! Got it for a steal at $55 including postage from someone who obviously hasn’t been on ebay lately! Gotta love forums ;)

(OLD POST) 11/2/2011

Today i was in the area of the engine builder while picking up a clutch kit for the rodeo so i dropped past and took a snap of the motor while i still could!

Bottom end is together, next step is some minor head porting (de dag, some work in the bowl area, nothing too full on) and to put the rest together. Still trying to decide whether or not i should get the injector bosses drilled out and fit injection, or go old school carby.

i also rang the pano today, and he said he has finished cutting the metal out of the donor car (vl) and it should get welded into mine in the next 1-2 weeks (read, 1-2 months more like it lol)

Anyway, here is a snap of the engine, just to keep the thread progressing.

As long as I move forward, that is all that matters :)

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 8/4/2011

Well a bit of a suprise today.

Went past the panelbeater after work with a negative attitude thinking ”

He’s done nothing, why am I wasting my time?”. When i get there, i see a red parcel shelf in my car. Is that my car? Yes, yes it is.

So finally the majority of my welding is done.

Excuse the surface rust and shitty phone pics, that will go. I am so happy now that the biggest part of my car has been finished. No more 12″ subbie hole in the tulip panel and no more 6×9 holes in the parcel shelf.

The boot there has a little bit of rust on it, so he’s probably going to use another one he has that hasnt got rust (the rust is in a shit place)

Also, told him I want to use the original Asteroid silver. Going to get a fibreglass plemum(washer motor) cover, rocker covers, hdt style engine cover and the fuel tank all done in asteroid 2k to colour code things and make it real neat.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 19/5/2011

There’s been some more progress and so i thought I’d chuck up some pics for everyone to see as it’s been a while.

The panelbeater has now done the boot and under the front wheelarches

Boot:

Wheel arches/inner guards:

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 19/5/2011

More:

thats it for this morning. Will get some more pics up tonight of motor (dont have time now, have to go to work :) )

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 20/5/2011

Finally I have a chance to put some more pics up.

My Engine: Currently stuck at this stage because the bolts in the engine bolt kit were wrong for the intake manifold (suspect they gave me carby bolts and this is an EFI manifold. Have now bought the right bolts (in stainless) as I plan on getting the rocker covers and intake manifold powdercoated silver and the average joe hsv extractors powdercoated black (for the highest temp resistance, as a temporary measure while i source a nicer set of maybe pacemakers or something..)

Engine:

Inlet manifold (has been sandblasted)

Rocker covers (have been sandblasted):

Extractors and Y-pipe:

Thats it for now.

I’ve also been scheming an alternate means to sound deadening lately, it involves a product usually used in plumbing/refrigeration to seal ducts called Noxide which dries to a rubbery consistancy and does a few things: is highly elastic, serves as a deadening material, resists corrosio, fills small gaps and pinholes and resists high temperatures and low temperatures- a bloke at work reckons he did it on an old cherokee with great results. I’m going to do a test run on my rodeo as I have the interior out at the moment and will eventually post up a link and photos (I plan to make an interior DIY (strip, de-rustify,seal, deaden and carpet). Stay tuned. If it works, it could potentially save me 1k in dynamat (or equivelant products) for the VK and since the rodeo is such a noisy bastard of a thing on the freeway due to poor factory insulation, it will be a perfect example.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 20/6/2011

First glimpse of the colour today! Looking like progress will be made in the next few weeks

Cant wait to see the colour on the car. Tank should look good with black straps!

Apparently the car will be sprayed (shell) in two weeks time, then I will take all the plastics and they will get the same treatment. After that, I should be one step closer to having my roller back to work on.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 21/6/2011

engine just about done just needs bolt ons pulleys etc

can’t wait to bring it home

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 21/8/2011

I have finally brought my 308 home. Nice to have it here finally.

Here’s a snap of the engine dummy fitted with the extractors and water pump:

Now that I have the motor at home, I can begin the task of collecting the necessary pulleys, pumps compressors, alternator, brackets and dressing it all up. If anybody has pulleys send me a message because i’m after everything for a vn onwards setup including (all accessories, pullies and brackets).

I am going to grab some stainless bolts tomorrow for the water pump as I think it looks a bit shit with the black ones there. Might pay the panelbeater a visit too, and hassle him because I need the car back so I can work on it again. I’m really itching to start putting this bad boy back together.

Just saw the bean counter last week. Hopefully my tax refund this year will pay for the diff and trans to get reco’d. A rubber kit wouldn’t go astray either.

Still going but going slowly

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 7/9/2011

Panelbeater has re-commenced work on the VK. He’s also moving workshops in a few weeks so maybe he will try and finish it otherwise he has to move the shell.

Car is being rubbed back and is now really,really smooth. He also straightened out the sills as there were a few bent sections (right underneath the car, almost as if someone had hit them with something).

Anyway here are some snaps from my phone.

Sills:

Bay:

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 7/10/2011

I visited the panelbeater yesterday- car is ready for the booth. Should be in there next week or the week after and im pretty sure its going to happen this time

Stonetray welded

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 4/11/2011

It’s a happy day for me. The car is finally in colour! Spewing I have only 3 shitty mobile phone pics of it, cant wait to go and see it.

Really happy looking at the photos with the colour, I think i’ve made a good choice. Looks nice and clean.

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 8/11/2011

Here are some more snaps- ran out of battery with proper camera so had to use my phone lol…

pictures tell the story (can you tell there was a red car parked next to it?)

Looks different in different light!

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 8/11/2011

These photos are all straight off the gun- car is yet to be cut back and polished

Profile photo of vkcrazy
    vkcrazy
    Participant

(OLD POST) 30/11/2011

So i’ve started working on side projects again.

Here are some more snaps.

I used KBS Coatings Aquakleen/Rustblast and Rustseal to restore some old bits and make them look nice again (and loose the rust as well)

I am suprised with how well these products work- sure I had some learning curves as it’s not your traditional paint system but essentially works like this

1:Pre clean- I had all of these hot tanked prior to even cleaning them with aquakleen

Amazingly lots of shit still came off them still.

2:Strong Basic (ie Alkalyne)degreasing/cleaning solution- scrub scrub scrub. Hit with a wire brush/sand paper- anything abrasive to get loose residue/rust/caked on oil/old paint off

3:Rinse with water (yes water and lots of it) Let dry completely

After Aquakleen:

4: Rustseal- Basically an acid etch primer. This also has a zinc phosphate component and can be left for up to 30 days uncoated.

The trick with this product is to keep the items wet (comes in a trigger spray bottle) for at least 10-15 mins but up to 30 mins depending on how much rust they had (these had SFA because of my anal prep standards)

Ready for the next step- nice and clean:

During this stage:

Take note of the blue water that is dripping off. This is the zinc phosphate in the product

5: Rinse off with water again and allow to dry. The stuff will have a powdery residue to it. Ie:

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.