HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineHolden V8 vs LSX Pros & Cons Discussion

This topic contains 117 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GMH-304 GMH-304 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BLOWNVS
    BLOWNVS
    Participant

Another Holden V8 “tragic” here!! I love the Holden motor more than any other!As previously mentioned in this thread and many others, LSX wins the bang for buck argument every time. I definitely appreciate the awesomeness we all know as LSX, but have found myself with a light hearted hatred towards the platform as every one thinks thinks that LSX is the only answer and that every other persons motivation is to go as fast as they can for as little dollars as possible. The fact that the aussie v8 costs twice as much to build and will usually make less power does nothing to deter me at all. It may be a bit of Australian pride or maybe that fight for the underdog feeling , or maybe even just plain stupidity? haha.

I think the saving grace for the holden motor these days is the fact they respond so well to a little boost blown up their skirt(as any engine does really), I remember Sam from Sams performance saying in an article i read about how quick the old iron motor can spool a turbo, reckons it had to do with the firing order and that there’s no other v8 like it! The new tp blocks are awesome and i cant wait to see the results they produce, its great there’s a company thats is still supporting the local platform and in turn, can be supported by the die hard holden v8 fans!!

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

Holden all the way (if you take common sense out of the equation) On my wish list, the TP Big Paw 560ci alloy block in an early Commodore. At only @ 36k, need to win tatts lotto.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well looking like we need to add a CommodoresPlus test and tune drag day to the cruise idea. Be very cool to get a group of us together and do some grudge runs :)

Love to have a crack at Pete and his Manta once I get mine sorted and the heads/cam done. LSx454 NA auto vs Pro charged Holden stroker manual in essentially the same body would be a very very cool contest :)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

it might also be worth noting that (most) LS motors are more “streetable”. boosted 600-800hp LS motors are often roaming the street, and you’d never know.

They handle traffic fine, they idle smoothly, if anything they drive as smoothly as a std one. So if it’s a daily application i’d seriously consider that and the fact that given a good tune it would use less fuel on the street as well (not that it would matter that much). obviously it’s going to depend on your ultimate goal, but a brand new crate LS3 for 8k is a pretty bulletproof option for both power and everyday duties

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Well looking like we need to add a CommodoresPlus test and tune drag day to the cruise idea. Be very cool to get a group of us together and do some grudge runs :) Love to have a crack at Pete and his Manta once I get mine sorted and the heads/cam done. LSx454 NA auto vs Pro charged Holden stroker manual in essentially the same body would be a very very cool contest :)

you would ET better. Pete will have the Mph

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Iv changed them tail lights now so you can tell me how they look Gary lol

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Iv changed them tail lights now so you can tell me how they look Gary lol

In your dreams buddy :) Photo of us launching side by side carrying a wheel, that’s what I am talking about :) Im going to need some more mumbo for that though…

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

That sounds like a nice way to run in my new axels

Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

i’ll throw fuel at this fire,

holden strokers make more torque,ha i said it

i’ve also dusted at least 3 local LS’s,all proably just exhaust cars,not sure hard to tell looking at them in rearview mirror,haha

also mates just put cam,otr,already had exhaust in his vt s2 ls,255 and its still 25rwhp short of mine, plus its a bit heavier ,can’t wait to kick his arse.

i’m not saying ls is no good, far from it.

i’m on t/p list for new block(wish he’d bloody ring with it ready)its reasonably priced if think about the price of machining 4bolt,oil mods & the rest.Just need a big win to make that 427 small block holden that’ll spin to 9k happen,haha ,also not legal for true street,apsa.oh well Wednesday & fridays for cash of me mates,haha not sure if I’m supposed to share this but,check this bad boy.

Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

also us aussie holden blokes get rapped on price of bits,part of being a small market i suppose .but who’d drive a ford or put a chev in an aussie classic.

thats a joke people chilaxe…I’ll drive anything with grunt!! or ride ,so no harleys even the german ones,haha

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Torque is the ultimate measure of efficiency, it’s bascially the size of the bang. It really comes down to capacity (bigger bang), better heads (more mixture = bigger bang) and volumetric efficiency (bigger bang from what you have got). So no reason at all that a 427ci “Holden V8” Will not make the same torque as an LS based block. But it’s so much more than that.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

that photos on their web site,heres one i like

Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

it is so much more,was just trying to say ls is not be all & end all. to be honest i was shocked they went push rod again,I don’t build my motors(have got 5L in boat i did,its real basic)so not real tech,do remember someone telling me RPM =MPH & winners are grinners.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I realy think its an unwinnable argument, plenty of guys making big reliable power with the Holden based engine, plently of others doing the same with the LS.

Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

your right,glad you didn’t baffle me with tech speak,haha

more power,more grip,less weight,ohh & less fuel pls

not much to ask is it,haha

what id like to see is bigger tracks,(wider & longer,more run off)no rules on motor or aero,f1 drivers with fighter pilot suits to keep em awake,id go to that.

no drug testing either,wanna see bolt run a 6!!

Profile photo of BLOWNVS
    BLOWNVS
    Participant

also us aussie holden blokes get rapped on price of bits,part of being a small market i suppose .but who’d drive a ford or put a chev in an aussie classic. thats a joke people chilaxe…I’ll drive anything with grunt!! or ride ,so no harleys even the german ones,haha

hey mate, do you know the exact pricing for the new tp blocks?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Will be $4500-5000 one would imagine.

Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

very close,throw a little more in,not much more,just a little,look really not sure i can say exactly,speaking out of school already,hoping to get 1 off the first run,if & when its mine i’ll share details no worries.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

So I rung Craig last week to find out a price on the Little Paw block and he said $6000+gst and that he was casting his 3rd Prototype on Friday and told me to keep an eye on his website for updates. Like anything new I expect that price will come down a little bit the more he sells and gets into it :)

These are some pics he sent me of the 2nd block cast which is been done up to 427.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Carnt wait till the price comes down to the high $4g mark and it’s a few years from now

One of them will be in my bay in a 383 CI range one day with a shit load of boost and heaps of meth injection and e85 and a few hundered hp of nos

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.