HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineHolden V8 vs LSX Pros & Cons Discussion

This topic contains 117 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GMH-304 GMH-304 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Original post by VRSenator065
    Well I know this is going to be very very controversial, but to me the trouble is the 5L is very old technology. I mean yes I know you can get them to go, but they just are never going to have the reliability or ultimate power output of later engines. Now if you don’t mind I think I might go and put on my asbestos suit while I wait for the flame session to start :)

Get in the bin!

• This topic was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Admin Admin.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Admin Admin.
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Well I know this is going to be very very controversial, but to me the trouble is the 5L is very old technology. I mean yes I know you can get them to go, but they just are never going to have the reliability or ultimate power output of later engines. Now if you don’t mind I think I might go and put on my asbestos suit while I wait for the flame session to start :)

Dam straight you better have that suit on lol
    Just joking I do know exactly what your saying however

Try and tell that to these two commodores both running holden strokers, I watched both these cars do these times last night at palmyra

TUF356 VR 9.9 @141 355 with 100 hp nos
    10.2 @130 no nos

^^ registered and drives on the street regularly

HPGOD VK 8.9@ 149mph 383 with nos

Neither have boost

To compare we have in the LS corner

Ittwgn 8.9 @159 mph with a 402 I think with 30 psi and 1200+rwhp

Making power in a LS engine is fool proof, all you need is a cheque book
    Making power in a holden you need a cheque book and knowledge

But goin fast carnt be brought you need knowledge for that shit, and it shows in so many cars exspecially in the LS screen

I will how ever strongly agree if you want a 11 second commodore as cheap and as easily as possible a LS engine in a 3rd or 4th gen commy is the go

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ What bloody awesome photos right there!! Nice to read a balanced and thought out reply too Pete. I agree I am not knocking the Holden V8, certainly owned my fair share over the years, and of course the can go, the couple you have mentioned, plus a certain blue Manta prove that point. But Yea my point is bang for buck, LS is a pretty sweet platform. To me they are modern day SBC. Can’t get over the pic of that VH, what an animal.

Sorry for the thread hijack btw Wombles!!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Bang for buck u can’t beat the LSx range. In sayig that though your comparing it to a motor that debut in Australia in the late 1980’s. If it wasn’t better there would be issues….

As for the power they make its all about $$. Hell Eddy Tassone pulled 1500rwhp in a TT 355 (maybe 383) not many Ls based motors have done so at the nats, let alone do it with the Std block.

Strip wise, Australia’s fastest Holden powered sedan is that red Vk wagon  it’s run 7’s with wait for it….a pro comp crank, 2 bolt mains and a pair of Chinese turbos

Then you have Jim Ioannidis Super Stock  B/MSA. VS Commodore 312ci  9.3/4’s @145mphCast vn headsFlat tappetSingle carbApprox 2900lbs.Everyone else is distant in retro spec to what his achieved

End of day it comes down to how much folding your willing to lay down

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

comparing it to a motor that debut in Australia in the late 1980’s.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Sorry for hijacking your thread, you should get it back tomorrow sometime

Definetly comes down to the $$$ you need for parts to have the combo to start with and then it comes down to the knowledge and driver been able to set it up and make it do these fast times

Carnt believe the fastest holden was on a poo comp crank and shit-a-nesse turbos

Don’t know if I would be game to spool it up

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No doubt in my mind that there are very very fast top end engines of many varieties, but I reckon for the average home builder, bang for your buck has to be the LS platform. It really is a matter of deciding how far you want to go and then doing it. My engine straight out of the box for $12k ($20 I guess if you add the induction, and ancillaries) is making 650Hp and bucket loads of torque. I am a cam and head work away from maybe 750HP. Pretty hard to do that with a Holden V8, especially if you want it to idle, and be tame as to drive and reliable.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes no doubting LS is the easiest cheapest and best way to get power easly

Just wish the torque power blocks where a little cheaper

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

My baby cammed (215/223) and headed ls1 makes more power then my VR. It’s my daily also.

The ls make the power easier. And are more street able.

Not ot to mention how easy they are to work on.

Profile photo of HSVGTS
    HSVGTS
    Participant

I agree 100% that the LS platform makes cheaper and easier power, the thing they have over the holden V8 is they already have more cubes heads that flow more because there so much bigger and a decent manifold at the end of the day its a push rod V8 there the same tech just refined in strength, oil feed, more head bolts for better sealing with boost and a few other areas. Not really new tech just refined.

If money is no object you could make almost anything you like power wise out of each but on a budget the LS cant be beat.

The LS has many things stock that you need to pay extra for in the 5 litre if you want to get it to the same level.

Cubes, alloy heads(also flow more), decent flowing manifold, 6 bolt mains (aussie motor can only get 4), More head bolts(the aussie motor will only take bigger studs not more bolts) and improved oil feed.

After you paid for all that your still only as square 1 with a LS then there are the mods on top of that.

But once done a 5 litre stroked with cam, heads and a manifold with do 350rwhp pretty easy and that’s about where a Ls1 is with just a cam.

Boost really is the best thing you can do for your Aussie motor to get it into the present day

Profile photo of Wombles
    Wombles
    Participant
    • 1995 VS Acclaim v6. Soon to be supercharged 1995 VS Executive 5L. 1973 Holden Torana Deluxe

• View build HERE

Aussie v8 = prick to work on
    LS engine = a lot easier to work on!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And the same physical size block will go from 330 to 454 cubes. Once you have an LS in the bay it opens up a world of options.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

One thing a LS will never sound like the Aussie V8, something it will always have on it :D hahaha

But no one can argue that dollar for dollar the LS will always win

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Anyone who says an LS will never sound as good as an Aussie V8 hasn’t listened to an LSx454 with ITB and twin 3″ system :)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

never will and Ls sound better then a Holden pushing 7500RPM

NEVER!!!!!!

with the release of torque powers new cast block. This space will get very interesting. Watch out Ls boys. Shits about to get real

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

With the release of torque powers new cast block. This space will get very interesting. Watch out Ls boys. Shits about to get real

This!! Should be good to see them sell a few and start to see what people do with them. Should stick it up the LS Fan boys a bit.

http://www.torque-power.com.au/np_little_paw_block.htm

Has anyone got a price on one yet?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

meh, doesn’t even go out to 454 cubes….. (joke promise)

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yep and one day I’m goin to have one of the torque power cast blocks and I’m goin to throw all I can at it and the LS boys won’t be liking me at all

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

so much hate :)

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yep you will be hating me

Torque power block and a PPG t56 dog box with sequential gear lever will be in myn one day

The PPG box will be in much much earlier then the torque power block though

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.