HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelineFeedback on eaton truetrack diffs

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Slow355 Slow355 8 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Hi guys,

After cooking my second fully rebuild lsd in under 5000k its time for an upgrade. What are people experience with the eaton true track? Being rigid rear end vs commodore.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I have a Harrop TT in the Lexcen, they’re reliable if not a bit primitive….

Think of it as a Gear style Locker, they’re nothing like a Torsen in that they’re on/off where the Torsen will Bias to the wheel that has traction.

sands vs
    Participant

Thanks mate, from what I can see I dont think you can get a TT for the ridig rear end diff from what I can find. Primitive how so? Dont really want chattering or shuddering etc.

How do you find it bit brutal when it comes on etc. This is a street car that I want to be nicely mannered.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Just primitive in that it doesn’t torque bias like the Torsen it’s based on, I ran it in the Tonner for a few years and it’s very well behaved and will always “work” unlike a clutchpack diff as you’ve found.

sands vs
    Participant

thank-you once again much appreciated.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ve had 2. Drive like a stocker and do what they are meant to when u get on it.

sands vs
    Participant

Brilliant thanks. Diff guy said lifetime warranty on it as well

I was also looking at the copies but cant find any feedback on them. So im sick of breaking diffs ill stick with known brand.

Copy

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171884474490?euid=59f68237c8304f59b4645a6da468acd4&cp=1&exe=11480&ext=28003&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I’ve got a Harrop TT sitting on the shelf in the garage, haven’t got around to fitting it yet (so can’t comment on how it drives/behaves) but it’s a very nice bit of gear from an engineering perspective.

sands vs
    Participant

Yeah they look great. Honestly its just crazy I have killed to brand new lsds in under 10,000ks. And its going to be tuned and that not going to help the matter.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

That link doesn’t look like an eaton. To me that seems like it’s not a true track either???

sands vs
    Participant

yeah kind find much feedback either on it..   Im getting it done at a good price so just doing eaton anyway just wondered if people had seen them or knew of them the copy ones from tuff car parts.

What did you pay supplied and installed if you want pm me?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Mine was to suit m80 so I did the conversion and brought it from the states. This was back when they wanted $1500 for just the center here.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Only problem with my true trac is it leaves 2 black marks every where I go

your link above is a torque lock centre I believe, I’m 99% sure it’s virtually the same designed as a Eaton true trac but about $100-$200 cheaper, it’s just a more affordable variation of the eaton

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

I have a Harrop true trac in my ute and it’s awesome.You won’t regret installing one.

Pin the throttle and it just smokes em in a dead straight line.The standard lsd would have me working the wheel to keep it pointed down the road.Predictable would be how i call the rear end now,especially power down out of corners…..a big plus for my ute.

Just be aware that the pinion gear will more than likely need linishing to clear the true trac depending on what gearing you have.Harrop say 3.7’s and up will hit,well i originally had 3.45’s and they needed quiet a bit of work to clear.

Have fun.

sands vs
    Participant

Great feedback guys thanks, nice to hear from people who have actually used them.Anything that keeps its strait is better

Did you find they helped with traction over as conventional lsd?

Im just running stock 3.08 gears and sticking with them.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Yes traction is better.I also fitted larger adjustable sway bars and wider rear wheels/tyres(mini tubbed) and the combination of all three worked wonders.No longer a widow maker and quiet a fast car around a good mountain road.

Why the 3.08 gears?

sands vs
    Participant

Its just a cruiser and im happy with the performance. Im not into it revving any harder, anything that will make it more likely to wheel spin etc. Its a nice package as it is now.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It makes a massive difference. U won’t regret it.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

I’m a little confused.It’s a cruiser that you don’t want to rev or have more wheel spin but you have gone through two standard lsd’s in 5000 klms!Your cruising must be different to mine lol.

Not having a go mate,just curious.

sands vs
    Participant

I mean its not built to run down the quarter really if it was would have bigger cam, stall, gears, e85 etc. It does cop a few hard launches and thats enough for the lsd to cry enough. The torque delivery with a roots blower isnt all that kind on drive line components.  I can destroy a passenger engine mount in a few hard take offs for example and gearbox mounts after a few thousand ks. We had to build an engine damper to address this.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.