This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,481 through 1,500 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Thanks Mick, it’s been my distraction therapy, really love the two last pics, the stance is perfect!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

It just looks bloody awesome mate, I agree with Mick, its a total credit to you.  What a weapon it will be…

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary, I think it’s going to be something “Special” for sure, as I posted on FB I was a bit indifferent to the car for a long time there as being such an extensive project with a lot of doubt if it would ever be finished it was hard to be enthused..

Now though I smile everytime I see it  :yes:

Profile photo of

Just been down the Shed to turn the Battery charger off, while I was there I couldn’t resist fiddling, there’s a Hole in the left rear quarter where the boot shuts, I found the right blank grommet to seal it up after searching to find the “safe place” I’d put it…

Jumped into the Office and fired up the power steering, had a thought it’s not “bad” at 12v so should be just about perfect at 13.8v once it’s running..

I had thought if needs be I could overdrive it at 16v if needed but nah it’ll be fine, really didn’t expect it to be this good.

Profile photo of

Fiddle Day,

Let me preface this with I’m not the smartest person at times, the other day when I moved the AP around it was still a bit hard to push..

Had a think about it, the last time the semi Slicks were used was almost 2 years ago at Wodonga, it was a Hot day so you’re constantly dropping tyre pressure during the event..

Umm 15psi in 275mm wide tyres will be the problem.. DOH, much easier to steer and push now..

I installed a 12v power socket then put my Flaps back on, it isn’t an Autocross Car without Flaps and I built it predominantly for Dirt tracks, also filled the Front Diff.

Profile photo of

WHOO HOOO!!

it’s done, final bits came in and are fitted up, just needs a New Windscreen and Fluids but that’s just a matter of $..

20 months Start to Finish!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Ian. When is first start. If you need someone to work the throttle. In the paddock while to watch logs, I can be that guy.

I won’t even charge you much 😏

Profile photo of

LMAO, you’re all Heart Cav!

———————————-

Had an idea how to get rid of my “Low Fuel” error on the dash… bzzz fail, was worth a try, while I was there I decided to “fix” an intermittent fault with the accessory gauges.

When there is an issue they max out, I’d fiddled with the wiring and they came down to 0, but I didn’t know if 0 was also an error, went through the wiring and found a dodgy ground, I’d put 2 wires into 1 socket but it had only crimped 1..

Fixed that and for my own peace of mind broke out the Heatgun, warmed up the sender, bingo works perfectly, I also found a couple of Bonnet seals I’d totally forgotten about so fitted them.

Profile photo of

Was vegging on the couch watching TV and doing the OCD thing with the Low Fuel warning on the dash, a bit of AP history is needed here, the Sender I used in the Lexcen is a tube type but it’s way too deep to fit the BMW tank..

The BMW sender is backwards and not even close to the correct range, not to mention I filled the tank with foam so can’t run a lever sender anyway..

I knew all this when I was doing the wiring and knew if I left it unplugged it would throw all sorts of annoying errors so I wired some resistors into the middle of the harness.

It didn’t work… My idea this morning to save opening up the harness was to ask Justin which pins and how do they control it, all good, found the pins at the ECU end connector and after testing found some resistors connected them in series (not parallel) and bzzzz Nuthin.

After my OCD kicked in I knew it should’ve worked but it didn’t, had to be a reason, in the VZ the sender is reversed from the earlier cars, it has a range of between 40 and 255 ohms..

DOH, the resistors I tried were 30 ohms so the dash still saw an error condition, dug around and found a 100 ohm resistor, wired it in and BINGO errors be gone!

I’m not overly concerned about fuel quantity as it’s a 75L tank and I know roughly the consumption for a day of racing, the error would have driven me batshit though and taping over it wasn’t an option as it shares the display with the TRAC message..

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Looks tuff, so much work behind it as well.

Profile photo of

Thanks Sands, yeah it was a HUGE job, not a bolt unturned..

—————————————–

Supermarket run this morning then came back and patched up the Rub Throughs from the Cutting compound the other day..

Profile photo of

Angry Panda..

Profile photo of

“Because RaceCar”

Profile photo of

The Tonner has had a rough feel and vibration in the steering for awhile now, I’ve been ignoring it as I’ve been occupied with the AP, decided to take a look today.

Pulled the front wheels off to give them a balance, spun the passenger wheel up… Wow good impression of a Cam Shaft… That there will be the problem, still spun up 0/0 though..

Swapped the good tyre into a spare Rim, one thing I’m super impressed with is I got these tyres in February and they’ve done a few thousand K’s easily, the mold line is still in the middle of the tyre and it’s not thrashing the outside edge, Gumby alignment for the win!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looking like a genuine race car now IJ :good:

Profile photo of

Amazing the difference some stickers makes eh   :yes:

———————————–

That was an interesting exercise, weighed the Panda..

Dry

RF 304 LF 382

RR 280 LR 283

1249kg

There’s still 60kg of fuel to go in the back, probably 15 to 20kg of fluids in the middle and front and 77kg of me on the right middle, so 1400ish with just about perfect 50/50 distribution!

Also this is with 0 weight jacking on any of the corners.

Profile photo of acepaint
    acepaint
    Participant

Thats worked out well. Interesting to see the difference between the front weights. Where does the extra 80kg come from on the left hand side? Will work to your advantage with just a driver in the car :)

Profile photo of

Everything I could got put on the left for that reason, transfer case and front diff are over there along with the battery..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Don’t you love it when winging it pays off haha.

I might be in your area Sunday.

Make sure it’s running, or I’ll be forced to drive over your water meter.

Profile photo of

LOL while that’s doable it isn’t going to happen yet, I’m trying to be a responsible adult and pay all my bills first…

More than welcome to drop in if you want!

Viewing 20 posts - 1,481 through 1,500 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.