This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,461 through 1,480 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LOL Thanks Frazer!  ;-)

Profile photo of

And home, DiY battery cable kit..

Cost to replace the PC950 racing battery, between $500 and $640 plus shipping, New Cables 1/10th the cost.

Profile photo of

Steamy and Humid here, was going to be a CBF’d day but went down and did a bit, new Battery mount is done, I had to drop the tank so I could weld in a captive bolt as there’s no room between the floor and the tank..

Profile photo of

Got my Battery cables done, I’ve been putting off trouble shooting a wiring issue that popped up after assembly, no fuel pumps, power steering pump, accessory gauges…

Foolishly I wired a pair of 2 pin connectors in the same area the same so you can plug them in “wrong”, there’s no fatal effect it just doesn’t work, I thought that might be it, NUH..

For some reason the ignition controlled wire I used to trigger the relays has decided it no longer wants to work after testing fine during the wiring mods, I need to find a replacement and it’s all good, was slowly losing my will to live so called it a Day.

The Rear Wing thing is by good design honest!!

Profile photo of

That’s today done and dusted! Sorted out the battery cable routing, got my gauges displaying correctly, white for day, amber for night, sorted my gear indicator display and wired up the ext power for the GoPro..

Juiced up the Electric Power Steering pump, Whoo Hoo, I’ll admit it I was skeptical if it was going to work as with the Semi Slicks it’s impossible to turn with no power, it’s NOT light but I never wanted that with this steering ratio.

Ninja Edit> I also verified my TRAC button functions, why is this important you ask… in the E38 electronics package I use if there’s ANYTHING wrong at all the default seems to be “Disable TRAC” NFI why this is and the Car did it on the first power up so I was having a mild Panic, ALL GOOD, I can proceed!

Profile photo of

Whoo Hoo #2

Just got rid of all the Fuel Gauge related errors other than “Low Fuel”, I can ignore that one as it can’t be seen behind the shift lights!

Profile photo of

Light day, I put the Scare Chair back in, tightened up a few things, filled the Intercooler and bled it, did a bunch of Systems Checks, bolted my Steering Wheel on properly and removed the Tape from the Blower inlet,

At this point add fuel and oil and it’ll run, steering lock while not being Drift Spec is so much better than any incarnation of the Lexcen was so very happy.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Man this must be soooo close to starting?

Profile photo of

LOL as I said add fuel and Oil and it’ll start!

I still have the doors to assemble then a bit of a buff of the paint, can’t rush these things  ;-)

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

…can’t rush these things

You have smashed this build out buddy ;-)

Profile photo of

Just coming up on 20 months now, I’ve been dragging my feet a bit though due to the Plague..

Very pleased with the results though it should be a good toy!  :yes:

Profile photo of

Scrapping the BMW, went down this morning and there was a couple of puddles of coolant, can’t take it anymore it’s gone………

Just kidding, pulled the front Bar off and tightened the hose clamp on the Intercooler Radiator, fixed.

Was just going to “fiddle” for an hour as I’m feeling a bit second hand, decided I’d swap the key barrel into the replacement door handle… Bzzzz wrong, mine is an early car and the handle is a late, guess there’s little to no chance of finding an unbroken early…

Made a FrankenHandle out of the two, near enough, as I was packing up I looked at the mess on the bonnet, the couple of blow ins I did never blended in and stuck out like dog balls, they had a ghost around the edges.

Gave em a light rub with the fine white 3M pad, bzzz now I have a shiny border, arghh, broke out the buff and cut and polished the bonnet, in retrospect to match the Tonner it has a factory gloss bonnet so while not the look I was going for it’s near enough.

The “reason” behind the Satin Black bonnet is mainly anti glare, I sit so far back I can’t see the bonnet at all…, I mentioned the steering ratio/ vs power assistance the other day it’s 1.25 turns lock to lock…

Profile photo of

Not an unexpected Mind Twister, one down one to go, just having a bite to eat then I’ll head back down and knock the other side over now I have a system..

Profile photo of

Doors are 99% finished, just waiting for the new handle trims and gaskets to arrive..

Finished off the Mirror mounts and painted them.

Profile photo of

Birthday for the Tonner, it’s 2000 km overdue for its oil change, that makes :) 17000k this time.. doh, I change the little filter around 7000 then filter and oil at 15000 normally, was seeing a drop in pressure the last few trips, back to normal now, the rear main is a bit leaky so will replace it soon.

Where OCD can be a blessing, something wasn’t sitting right about the “Rear Main” oil leak, in hindsight the Oil was way too clean to have been 17000k old engine oil…. went out and checked and sure enough my Trans was 750Ml down,

I’ll get into the Trans that came out when the Torque Converter exploded and give it a clean out as the one in there now is my old race trans.

Profile photo of

Not a lot I can do till my Door handle trims arrive, funds are low so it was a bit of a details/fiddle day..

Bolted my Door Bars in, much easier to get in the passenger side than it was in the Lexcen, Drivers side while not “easy” is still doable, once in the office is quite comfy.

After taking the pics of the side windows the other day I noticed that the door gaps looked a bit wonky, it’s an optical illusion caused by the plastic trims below the rear side glass missing..

They were very brittle and held on with double sided tape, I’m guessing they’re either expensive or hard to find so I spent some time masking it up, very happy with the results, my OCD can take a break..

Profile photo of

For Comparison..

Profile photo of

Had a small rub through on the corner of the nose cone so touched that up, taped up all the black bits then shot into town for more cutting and polishing compound..

Profile photo of

Long day was long…

Done! It was never going to be a show car, I taped up all the hard edges and colour sanded it with some 600 soft pads, then removed the Tape and hit it with the coarse cutters, still managed to rub through a couple of spots… DOH

Changed to some fine cutters then one more time with the polish, I “could” get it better using 1000 then 2000 but what Trent said earlier about it becoming too pretty to use on Dirt hit home, it’s more than good enough for its intended purpose..

Profile photo of Micks
    Micks
    Participant

It looks great IJ, said many times it’s a huge credit to you carrying this all out during worrying times, enjoy & hope the new year brings good things aye!  :cool :

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Micks Micks.
Viewing 20 posts - 1,461 through 1,480 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.