This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,301 through 1,320 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

Before I was blind now I can see :wacko: .

Lucky before I didn’t ask the silly question during the build which is what I was thinking, why isn’t he painting the interior epoxy slightly surface rust before putting all the wiring and fixtures in even if its a race car ??

Now it makes sense what your planning procedure build steps are. Good to see, look forward to colour choice. :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LoL Vin, really didn’t expect it to drag on this long, if I’d put top coat on before the wiring by now it’d look like crap, this way it’ll be nice and fresh when the cars done!

Interior will be a Ford engine grey, under the car and the engine bay will be satin black, ditto for the bonnet, rest of the car will be the factory Samoa Blue,

I’d considered doing it Herron White to match the Ute but really CBF’d doing a full colour change.

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

All good, trust a genius to have a method to their madness.

Nice touch with the engine grey interior, saw the blinky engine colour and reminded me of the holden 138, grey is quite favoured these days for the wyxz generations.

Herron white ? careful you don’t want the neighbors to think you have matching his and hers cars.

Profile photo of

It’s a fair bit lighter grey, I used the same inside the Lexcen..

LOL @ His and Hers  :scratch:

I figure it’ll only be pretty till the first even so why bother with a full change, it’s a lot of work for nothing, the blue is growing on me and I only really have the Guard openings Bumpers and the Sills to do.. I got the paint mixed in between Plague events so no idea how close the match will be.

Profile photo of

I have a pair of Ingersoll Rand 17cfm Compressors that have done a LOT of work, I used to use them for bead blasting which sucked a heap of air, a few years back they dropped off the Perch one after the other within weeks..

Same failure on both, something let go in either the Dump valves or the Electric Valve which caused them to burn out the Motors, since then I’ve been using the Old 2 Phase single cylinder Nugget left here..

The Tentative “plan” was to use one of the 2 cylinder heads with the 2 Phase Motor and electrics but looking at it today the shaft size and speeds are all wrong so it’s plan B, just ordered a bunch of parts to rebuild both of the IR’s..

Profile photo of

The System works! sanded back the rusty bits then blew a few coats of Etch Primer over it all, Top coat tomorrow!

Couldn’t work out a dodgy way to support the 3 bumpers for painting and have always admired the proper fold up panel stands, last minute Friday thing rang around till I found someone that had 3 in stock,

Success but they were closing at 5 so not a chance of making it there in time and if I went tomorrow that loses a day of the better weather, guy says hey I’ll leave em behind a tree… In Melbourne they’d be stolen in minutes..

That heater in the shed is brilliant, 3c here had it on an hour and could’ve stripped down to a T shirt!

Profile photo of

I use VHT engine paint for the inside of the car as I find it wears really well, the Lexcen was fine after 3 years of competition just dirty..

I’d forgotten just how much of a pita painting big areas with rattle cans was, of course a couple of them were from different batches so different colour..

Managed to get one coat over everything so it’s near enough, bit drier than I’d like but it’ll be fine, my mod to the comfort handle worked perfectly with the VHT cans so the inside is done.

I got the Blue and the Satin Black mixed so it all goes in the same colour, hence rebuilding the compressors as the old nugget can’t keep up with the DA sander let alone a spray gun..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looks good mate, one would think you live in Werribee with those rattle can skills. So is that it now?

Final Assembly next?

Profile photo of

Thanks Cav, bit of painting and a couple of small fab jobs left then assembly time!

——————————————–

Details day, unmasked the interior the put the car back on the hoist so I can paint the underside.

Put the Nutserts in the inspection plates then put the weather strip seal on, there will be a piece of the corrugated heat shield bolted to the inside of each cover.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Awesome getting there Ian :good:   :good:

Profile photo of

Slowly but surely Frazer, just making the best of the crap world situation, the car has been a great distraction.

Profile photo of Micks
    Micks
    Participant

Great progress IJ, haven’t been able to reply on fb due to a another altercation doh!!

Good use of the presstite foam tape, I use that quite a bit.

I’m sure you are quietly confident the end is near. :good:   B-)

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looking great mate, always looks so much better with a uniform colour over it.

Profile photo of

Great progress IJ, haven’t been able to reply on fb due to a another altercation doh!! Good use of the presstite foam tape, I use that quite a bit. I’m sure you are quietly confident the end is near.

Still no rush Mick, I seriously doubt we’ll be racing again this year, the tape just makes servicing much easier, my initial idea was silicone..

Looking great mate, always looks so much better with a uniform colour over it.

Yep funny how that works, as I don’t want to spend a heap of time prepping the engine bay I figure the Satin Black hides most sins!

Profile photo of

New Compressor Motors arrived, just waiting on a couple of bits..

Profile photo of

Big day was Big.. decided to do an oil change on the compressors so had to go to town, on the way back I collected the new pressure switches, bit of fiddling to make them fit, this is the quietest the pair have been!!

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Cracking progress IJ. Just a heads up though your pictures have a high chance of not working on Firefox if they are Facebook images. Firefox keeps Facebook in a closed off container usually. I have to turn off the Facebook container to actually load up your pictures.

Profile photo of

Thanks Wraith!

—————————————–

Another longer day than expected, played around with the compressor setup only to find I didn’t have the fittings I need to make it work the way I want..

My Heatshield material arrived yesterday so I knocked them over then thought hey another last minute run to Bendigo is in order to get the fittings..

The concept is I can either run 1, 2, or 3 compressors as needed, the Shed is plumbed in hardline so I’ve made it so I can still plug directly into a single compressor if I don’t need to use any of the other outlets.

Profile photo of

Had an idea for a mod to the compressor plumbing, added another Nitto connector so I can plug into the 2 compressors on their own, then I masked up ALL the holes scuffed the engine bay with Red scrubbers and blew a coat of Etch Primer over it and the underside and the Sill repair I did ages ago..

Profile photo of

Black is beautiful.. mmm

Wasn’t kidding when I said ALL the holes had to be masked yesterday…

Viewing 20 posts - 1,301 through 1,320 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.