This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Is yours the Teflon with the nylon over coat or braid?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Black stainless braid here..

——————————–

Enough, reinstalled my fuel tank this morning thinking there might be more cutting and welding in my immediate future.. all good I have room to plumb.

I was going to make some metal risers to get the brake hoses up off the hot floor, thought about it and did some M5 nutserts and bought some matching rubber isolator mounts, perfect.

Also made up a dead pedal, I’ll get some grip tape for it and the accelerator pedal so they all match.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hell that’s all looking neat mate. Top work. Maybe the Binkey boys need to take a leaf out of your book!!

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary, trying to do a sanitary install as it makes servicing it easier later on!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Thanks Gary, trying to do a sanitary install as it makes servicing it easier later on!

Im trying to make it superneat and hidden. And the whole time all I can think about is. If this leaks. Car is going in bin.

Profile photo of

Lmao here for real!

Profile photo of

Long day was long, brake lines are all done now, there’s method in my madness, using the flex hose from the Master cylinders to the ABS unit allows me to unbolt and move it out of the way if I need to work on something in there..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Fiddly bloody things aren’t they, seem to take ages to achieve a small step forward.  Rocketing along now though mate, its going to be a weapon.

Profile photo of

Yep, total PITA but it needed to get done, last real “Headache” will be the Wiring, it’s all there but due to the Engine Setback the lengths will be all wrong so there will be LOTS of cutting and splicing, I figure I’ll move everything that used to live in the engine bay inside, i.e Fuse Box and ECU.

—————————————-

Went down and put the tools from yesterday away and did a general tidy up, also went through my New and Old fittings to plan out the jobs for the rest of the week, all good have enough bits to proceed, worked out a routing for the Fire Suppression system T handle and cable! rest of the day off CBF’d.

Profile photo of

Routed a few lines then bolted the engine back in, have ran into a couple of clearence issues, working through them by moving the filters, just off to town in search of a short Z9, my Internet at home is down…

Profile photo of

Victory is Mine!

Little Filter sourced and fitted, problem solved, also collected a couple of parcels from the Post Office, in the E36 tank there’s provision for a second pump, stock it has a blank with another fuel level sensor.

I couldn’t find a used hanger at a reasonable price and I already have 2 good pumps set aside to use so I searched eBay and found a new unit at the right price, I’ll make an adaptor bracket for each of my pumps and call it good.

Pic 2 to the right is the Holy Grail of bits for me, I’ve been playing with Holden based AWD stuff for 10 years now but the downfall has always been the open front Diff, this has made handling ” interesting” to say the least.

Chevy sent me some info from one of the group’s about a guy that finally worked out what diff it actually is and did a Torsen T3 swap, there’s quite a bit of machine work to do to adapt it but that’s never scared me.

Did some research to verify not that I don’t trust some Random internet Dude…. All good so ordered one, this should be the final part of the puzzle as the open diff with this much power is a bit of a disaster, a conventional LSD would induce even more understeer so was never an option.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

that’s awesome about the front diff keep us informed on that part

Profile photo of

Will do Frazer, as I said it’s always been a weak link as soon as you unload the rear at all it just blazes one front…

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

So now we blaze all 4. I like your thinking. Home stretch champ.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, you learned me something today!!  I hadn’t heard of a Torson, what a cool pice of kit.  If anyone else in interested (hope you don’t mind IJ) here is an explanation video

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Btw, I can see how much better that must be for a front diff right?

Profile photo of

No probs at all, that’s a T1 Torsen, can’t get em for this application, much preferred.

T3 is similar but works more like a locker at the extremes, T1 will constantly swap to the the wheel with drive, it’s a bizarre feeling but work really well. I have a T3 in the Rear a Viscous in the Centre and now a T3 for the Front!

———————————–

With the Rack on its highest mounts the steering shaft was hitting the front header pipe, this is due to the bigger diameter of the telescopic shaft… DOH.

Had a go at squishing the pipe, looked like arse and wasn’t enough, bit the bullet and broke out the Tig and reworked it, off to Melbourne to get it recoated..

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I’ve been playing with Holden based AWD stuff for 10 years now but the downfall has always been the open front Diff, this has made handling ” interesting” to say the least. Chevy sent me some info from one of the group’s about a guy that finally worked out what diff it actually is and did a Torsen T3 swap, there’s quite a bit of machine work to do to adapt it but that’s never scared me.

Id be keen to see whats involved in fitting it can you post pics of the mods as you do it?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of

You know I will Sands!

—————————-

FML at times, after the engine install I noticed a small puddle of oil under the trans, didn’t think much of it as I’d spilled some while the engine was on the trolley..

Went down this morning and it was back, turns out the cast pan is really thin and weak, I’m used to my old B&M pan you could jack the car up by it… Tigged it up for now but will replace it with a steel pan before I run the car..

Profile photo of

38c here so probably+10 in the shed, ran out of cold water around 2 but pushed on till I finished, Trans cooler and filter plumbed, Engine oil cooler and filter plumbed.

Mounted my Fuel pressure reg behind the firewall over the Trans bellhousing (the pair of capscrews half way down) ran the -8 supply and -6 return down to the back, also installed some more nutserts for the filter mounts after raising them.

Was soaked through, just had a nice cold shower and 2 litres to drink, much better.

Viewing 20 posts - 921 through 940 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.