This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 821 through 840 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Suesy says Happy New Year too!!  I guess its just part of Aussie rural living life.  But imo, just getting the hell out of there is the go, no good being a dead “hero”.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

When I first moved here I went to a couple of the local “fire tree” meetings, listened to the old folks jabber on about their planes and what they’d done to prepare… Left the meeting increased my insurance cover and thought ” you old farts are going to die”

I have contingencies in place if I can’t get out but trust me first sign of danger I’m out of here….

Profile photo of

Intercooler pump and plumbing today, I’m listening to my body for a change and it’s had enough for today..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Neat as always mate.  Yea when it comes to fires, I think people underestimate how fast it moves and how intense it is.

Profile photo of

It’s a bit of a Rubik’s cube at this point, just finding homes for all the ancillaries that won’t be in the way of everything else….

I asked them if any of them had real life experience with fires…. “Crickets” … Ive been close enough to know I don’t want to be in the same postcode as a full on bushfire..

If the heat doesn’t get you the smoke does, these people were all in their 70’s upwards at the time, not a chance.

Profile photo of

Well that was a longer day than expected, looked on eBay this morning for a catch can for my Trans, on really hot days when you hammer on it it pukes a bit of oil out of the overflow vent on top..

Not a big deal on dirt but I can’t see it going down well on track days, everything I found was sold by dodgy drop shippers claiming to be in Australia.. been there done that CBF’d.

So I spent a couple of hours making one, it’s really just an expansion tank so no need for anything fancy, got some Tig welds I’m not embarrassed by but really need more practice.

Mounted it to the firewall then cut the bracket off the Engine catch can and made a new one, also worked out mounts for my remote Trans and Engine oil filters, damn hot here but it’s all done.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ve contemplated the same thing with the trans puke tank also. Seems like a. Good investment. Hmmmmmm.

What’s the go with 2 oil filters?

Profile photo of

One for the Trans..

350 only has a screen not an actual filter..

Profile photo of

And that’s enough for today, love welding in 36 degree heat.. not, extended the “ears” for the Tarmac setup toe rod mounts, blew a coat of primer on it and called it a day.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

nice work Ian,, won’t be long now till first event

Profile photo of

Thanks Frazer, still heaps left to do but that was the last of the structural work so it’s all downhill from here!

Profile photo of

Dropped 10 degrees here in the last hour or so, perfect for painting, blew a coat of Satin Black on the subframe so it’s “done” ready to use, whoo hoo!

Profile photo of

Went down to the shed to pump some water to the header tank on the hill, while I was there I blew some more paint on the subframe where it was a bit light.

Also had a fiddle with my ABS pump and module and sorted a location for it to live.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice steady progress mate.  Certainly not fun welding in the heat!! Btw that welding helmet you recommended is awesome!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

Trying to knock a bit over each day, glad you like it they’re an awesome bit of gear!

Profile photo of

Gave the rear diff a wash and bolted it into the subframe, I then did some grinding and sanding on the LCA’s ready for paint, will go back down after lunch and do a bit more..

Profile photo of

Another day done, still cool here but smoky as, mounted up my ABS pump, made some Harness mounts and painted the LCA’s..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Do you use the eyelets and cable tie the harness to them?

Profile photo of

??? Cable tie…

My harness has quick release ends on it..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

lol.

4 point harness. SEAT BELT.

Not wiring.

Viewing 20 posts - 821 through 840 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.