This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 801 through 820 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

we don’t get those temps here but I am putting air con and under floor heat in my new workshop :yahoo:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Sounds like a great plan Frazer, I’m old I don’t intend to be out there that much once this build is done so I’ll just work around it…

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool as Frazer!!

Profile photo of

Early start to beat the heat, sort of worked, Oil coolers and Pwr steer cooler mounted, just have a few gussets and some finish welding to do tomorrow and this part is done!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Rad

Trans cooler x2

W2A

Power steering

Is that correct?

Profile photo of

1x Trans cooler 1x Engine oil cooler.. everything else correct.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s a lot of coolers!!

Profile photo of

It’s a LOT of engine…. I can beat on it on a 40c+ day and it never gets hot..

————————————-

Finished up the welding then gave all the mounts a coat of primer and paint, pressure washed all the coolers then rehabbed the fins, got to the Radiator and found evidence of a pin hole…

Can’t complain it’s done a lot of KMs and been heavily abused since I’ve used it for racing… Time for an eBay special, not spending another K on a PWR..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Time for an eBay special, not spending another K on a PWR.. 

Especially something as vulnerable as a rad on a race car used off road.

Profile photo of

My thoughts exactly, I’m surprised it’s lasted this long, 75+Km in the Tonner and 3 years of racing…

I’ll pressure test it tomorrow to confirm it’s Munted, if so I’ve found an ok unit for about half the PWR price…

Profile photo of

Really early start to beat the heat, pressure test on the Radiator went well, 14psi for 35 minutes, while that was going I bolted the rad support back in and bolted a few bits on to tidy up, then I straightened the Fins on the back side of the Rad, I’ll do the front bad side over the next couple of days..

Profile photo of

Only took another 4 hours on top of 3 the other day, it’s done!

PWR use a high efficiency core, it’s not just folded fins, it’s more layers of 2mm wide strips in multiples that are soldered to the tubes, being so thin they have 0 structure to them so are easily damaged…

Where I could I straightened them where I couldn’t I used a tiny pair of needle nose pliers to pluck the dead layers, can’t do anything about the bent tubes but as they’re not leaking it’s a non issue.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Really getting there now mate, bet you are starting to look forward to driving it!!

Profile photo of

Really getting there now mate, bet you are starting to look forward to driving it!!

Have to admit each “problem” I sort makes me a touch more enthused  :yes:

————————————–

A few things needed addressing, 1 is along with rubber mounting the radiator I was limited how much I could safely cut out of the rails, this made it a tighter fit than I’d like so there’s a chance of it moving rubbing through the paint and grounding in time..

Made a couple of thin plastic strips to act as insulation, next was some Muppet put a 3″ exhaust pipe between the trans and transfer case RIGHT where the shifter cable would normally run,had a few thoughts on how to fix it, toyed with the idea of flipping the linkage on the trans and bring the cable from the front..

Either way the engine had to come out so I could sort that and another issue, turns out if I take the cable over the trans it’ll be fine, I’ll still put a firesleeve sheath over it, the “another issue” is getting the oil feed and return to the engine, same Muppet put headers in the way as the in/out is on the rear left corner of the sump…

I think with some creative plumbing in braided Teflon I can do it, that will be the last of the headaches then I can start detailing, painting and look at assembly, still have to do all the plumbing runs but I’ve left room for all that..

Profile photo of

Went down to the shed and put away the jigs and fixtures, then I cleaned out the inside of the 36 and blew the dust out of the workshop, moved the rear toe rods and got rid of the bump steer totally, just have to add another pair of mounting points for Tarmac.

Had a “fiddle” and sorted out where my power steer pump will live along with the intercooler pump and engine oil filter, cut the rear flares level with the rear bumper mount, a couple of reasons, one the rear tyres were hitting them and if I tear off a bumper it won’t trash the flare as well, also had a play with the plumbing problem I mentioned the other day.

As there’s no room to offset the hoses using 90 degree fittings my idea was to order a 45 degree male/female then another 45 hose end so it drops under the front 90, proof of concept using rubber hose as if that fits the Teflon is much smaller, bit of firesleeve and it’ll be good!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That PS pump looks.like it was made to go there. Perfect.

Profile photo of

Yeah, it’s the only place tall enough to accept it but being a rear mounted rack it’s perfect, they tell me the trick is to keep the supply hose as short as possible, pretty much a straight shot at the rack from there..  :yes:

Profile photo of

Had a bit of time away from the car over the Christmas period, apart from going down to the shed a few times to ponder I did nothing, time to get back into it.

Electric power steering pump bracket day!

During the Thunderstorm yesterday there were 3 strikes close by which started 3 fires, nearest one was 2km away, I was ready to bail out..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Shit mate, that’s not good!!  Brackets neat though, stay safe, happy new year!!

Profile photo of

Happy New year to you and Sue, I get warning messages on my phone, luckily the wind was in my favour and the local CFA guys are pretty awesome, had one about the same distance a few years back, same results, I’m ready to go at a moment’s notice..

Viewing 20 posts - 801 through 820 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.