This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

v2.0 is always better !! B-)

Profile photo of

Went down and mocked up the rear subframe and LCA mounts, I have an idea now but need to think on it some more before pulling the pin, CBF’d for the rest of the day  :yes:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

nice man. Soon she be rolling again.

Profile photo of

Thanks Cav, not pretty but will do the job and yeah will be good to have a Roller again!

——————————-

After some thought I decided cutting down the jig by 50mm would be a good thing, being on the rear any hits should be in the direction of travel and you don’t get the added leverage of a turned front wheel.

It neatens up the mounts and will make a sway bar mount easier, after rewelding the jig I reset everything X Y and Z so I’m good to go after a little more thought…

This pic was actually 90 on the dot but I think I breathed taking it, the angle finder is way sensitive..  ;-)

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This build shits on that Mini, love it…

Profile photo of

LOL only that it’ll be finished in a year and a bit compared to Five for Binky, can’t fault the Fabrication done on that car, just a bit excessive and I’ll back it in it’s heavier than the GT4 Donor car when finished so a bit pointless..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I really liked it at first, and I totally 100% admire their skills, but they sort of lost me when they started fabricating their own heater system, rear window wiper etc.  I mean is it a race car or not.  I reckon there is no way it will be lighter than the Celica.

Profile photo of

I don’t think it’s going to be a race car at all Gary, more an idea that got a bit out of control along the way, I’m guessing it started as how awesome would it be to have an AWD Mini but then reality set in and they decided to add all the creature comforts as it was going to be a bloated Mini Facsimile at best…

————————————–

The process, I locate the jig and LCA mounts X Y and Z using measurements from datum points on the shell and cross member then tack supports in so I can remove the poly bushes so the don’t melt when I weld.

I’ll then build out to the LCA mounts from the cross member, once that’s done I’ll add another support up to the boot floor using a poly mount, then it’s just a matter of locating the uprights in the correct place and building the LCA’s out to them.

Profile photo of

That’s me done for the day, first full day for ages, I’m shagged, think I’ll have an r&r day tomorrow, Front LCA mounts done, I did them in 3mm as they’re the first point of contact during a lack of talent, rears will be done in 1.6mm box.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wow, seriously mate that’s beautiful work, painted up that will almost look factory, very very neat!!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

LOL thanks Gary!

———————

Enough for today, have to make the combo poly mount and sway bar mount tomorrow then I can start on the LCA’s.

Profile photo of

Long but productive day, I reinforced the new boot floor now it’s a structural member.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

looking the goods now mate. Fair to say she is beefy as fuck.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of

Thanks Cav, failure isn’t an option…

————————————

Half day, put away all the tools and cleaned up the Shed then laid out all the bits for the next phase, also did some trailer maintenance then shot into town for some shopping, done for the day now!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Almost sick of saying it, very nice work mate, great fab skills!! :good:

Profile photo of

LoL thanks again, not bad for a hack  :yes:

And it’s good you post, still can’t get used to the minimal interaction here compared to my old Supra forum…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

LoL thanks again, not bad for a hack And it’s good you post, still can’t get used to the minimal interaction here compared to my old Supra forum…

Yea I know right, not sure if anyone has any ideas or suggestions why or how to improve it I am all ears.

Profile photo of

Not really Gary, I think Forums as such are pretty much dead due to FB, I noticed the change back when I was Modding the Supra Forum, people seemed to be very opinionated/aggressive if anyone did anything outside the norm, then as now most people left me alone though as my shit is so far from the norm it’s a bit unique,

I guess a lot were waiting for me to fail… dunno what could be done here though, we have a great user base with none of the usual bullshit..  I try to make my threads interesting and informative and usually post plenty of pics along the way but there’s little to no input other than a few Core members..

For me Forums and build threads have always been an Aid to Memory (short term memory loss from my accident) and a sounding board to bounce ideas off other people as I often don’t have a clue what I’m doing and make shit up as I go, always good to hear what other think as I’m too close to the project at times and trip up a bit..

—————————————————–

Still a bit Lame from Tuesday’s full day in the shed,

Just so the day’s not a total write off I went down and had a fiddle, set the Left/Right position on the rear end then locked it in place using the Jig and the Camber adjusters, also worked out how I’ll locate it Front/Rear with some simple fixtures,

I cut the tubes longer than needed for the LCA’s but due to having to shift the mounts rearward to clear the fuel tank 2 are the perfect length and I had to trim 30mm off the other 2… also checked I’ll still be able to route the stock fuel filler, all good!

Profile photo of

Had to go bring the bin in, while I was there I had another fiddle with the 36, ran a couple of plumb lines and measured up the various wheels and tyres, all good to go.

Might even be able to use some spacers and run real rally tyres on 15″ wheels for autocross, you don’t realise how HUGE the big brakes are till you put a 16″wheel on!

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

Killar job IJ some of us could only dream to be just a hack, I bet those wheels weigh a touch heavier with your back, looks like you cant help yourself doing more but hey its good therapy for pain and don’t worry some of us are in the same pain boat and we don’t get as far but all progress is good. cheers and luv your work, pity your far away, there are others always willing nor hesitate to help. vin

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.