This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Thanks Vin, those are the smaller light wheels, had an ohh shit moment today, I test fitted my tarmac wheels on the front to check turning clearance but hadn’t checked this set…

Was worried as they’re very different offset, all good though they clear everything, I’ve been pacing myself since the shoulder injury a few months back almost stopped everything, seems to be working and I scored a free car to keep match fit until the 36 is done..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Kpity your far away, there are others always willing nor hesitate to help. vin

Is it is a shame we are so spread out, how good would a monthly shed night be at each others places checking out the builds in person…

Profile photo of

That would be awesome!

——————————

Ta Daaa, full day but very happy with the progress, just have to make the Toe Rod inner mounts and the Sway Bar LCA mounts and this phase is done!

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

wow wow and wow hack skills to the next level great work Ian

Profile photo of

LOL thanks Frazer, didn’t say I was a “bad” Hack  ;-)

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Might even be able to use some spacers and run real rally tyres on 15″ wheels for autocross, you don’t realise how HUGE the big brakes are till you put a 16″wheel on!

Doesn’t look like a caliper will fit in there.

Will the spacers be such that they push the rim out to the extent it is outboard of the caliper ?

Profile photo of

LOL nah not a chance, I have a set of 19″ wheels that go with that brake set, I have a smaller set that suits these wheels as you don’t need a lot of brake on Dirt..

I run Dry break couplers so changing them isn’t a huge hassle, even with the smallbrakes I’m stuck with 16″ wheels, due to the offset of the Rotors I use, Rally Tyres are only 15″ but now I “should” be able to space a set of 15″ out as I have plenty of body clearance.

Profile photo of

And that’s the Rear End done, had a win on the Toe Rod mounts, dropped the subframe ready to cut the redundant ears off so I could weld new ones on..

Turns out my M16 rod ends with the misalignment spacers are the same width as the LCA rod ends, just redrilled to 14mm and good to go, tweaked the bump steer and got it to 1mm of toe in over the full range of travel, I can live with that.

Not sure how effective the rear sway bar is going to be as the new control arms are so much narrower than the Lexcen ones, but if I got the roll centres right it shouldn’t need a lot of bar..

The big tyres go under the 75mm flares no probs even standing up at 0 camber, I decided to sacrifice some body work to go a touch wider on the rear track than first planned as it should behave better on tarmac.

Profile photo of

Did a quick Gumby wheel alignment on the rear end, spotted an “error”, this time I set it up for a bit of anti squat in the rear to help keep some load on the front..

The rear wheels travel forward under compression so were getting really close to the body, quick adjustment on the LCA’s and moved the wheels back a touch, sorted!

Decided a Mock-up is due so here it is it’ll be way lower in Tarmac trim but I need to cut the quarters and guards before I can drop it more.

Profile photo of

Figured I may as well trim the front alignment as well, nothing hangs down, damn happy about that as the Lexcen had issues when dropped..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I think my friend, you are the reason not many people post, its because we all feel inferior to your bloody fab skills!!  But seriously dude that’s just beyond next level.  Fark me, I love following this, awesome work :good:   :good:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

look even better once bumpers are on ,, is the colour staying the same Ian

Profile photo of

look even better once bumpers are on ,, is the colour staying the same Ian

Made me blush….  :yes:

look even better once bumpers are on ,, is the colour staying the same Ian

Thinking White with a Black Bonnet, Flares, Roof vent and Wing Frazer, stock colour is a Metallic it’s just too hard to patch up and this thing will have a hard life…

Profile photo of

Made a start on the rear flares, started by getting the porta power out and pumping the stock flares out, could only get 20mm before it started getting ugly.. worth a try though.

Plan B, bolted a Flare on after some careful measurements, just let it sit in its natural arc, bzzz looked like arse (pic 2), (pic 4 will be Tarmac less another 25mm as the hoist was on the floor) (pic 6 will be autocross)

Welded up the holes, I’m using countersunk nutserts so bent the Flare to follow the wheel opening, much better, didn’t have any button head capscrews short enough hence the Bendigo trip..

There’s a LOT of structure in there so I’m not stressed by cutting the lips out, while I was in Bendigo I grabbed some 5mm solid rod, I’ll use this to reinforce the front guards after cutting as they’re only single sheet..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very neat looks nice.  Compared to the Lexan she is going to be a beauty queen ;-)

Profile photo of

Long day was short, then it was long, finished up the quarter panels early, bolted the wheels on and put a block under one so I could see it at full compression… BZZZZZ NUH

Hit the body, DOH, quick rework (3 hours) and it’s done!

Pic 1 will be Tarmac give or take 25mm pic 2 Autocross.

Profile photo of

Wasn’t going to go down to the shed today still a bit shagged after yesterday’s marathon, figured I’d do a half day, thought about my plan to use the 5mm solid rod to reinforce the front guards..

The weight weenie in me didn’t want to add the weight as well as another day of welding and grinding didn’t appeal, so I thought I’ll just do what the factory did, made up a tool and turned a lip on each guard!

Pretty happy how it came out, I think the 36 will have a good grip on the planet.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Its actually looks decent mate id be happy. Fat bitch was fairly mung looking  but did the job this looks cool..

Profile photo of

Thanks Sands, it’s the Lexcen turned up to 11..  :yes:

The Fat Bitch was Fugly as, I’ve always thought the 36 was a great looking car.

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

wow If your just a hack on fab work, your not to shabby on the photography either, top work on both. :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 761 through 780 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.