This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Ditto, never been one for pretty, it’s a race car odds on it’ll get trashed sooner or later, would hurt much more if I’d spent the time and $$$ on making it look nice..

Profile photo of

Went down and tidied up the bomb site in my shed then did a test fit to make sure I still have clearance.

One of the downsides of the Lexcen I wanted to address in this build was the limited ground clearance when it was in tarmac mode, pretty damn happy.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea very nice work.  been a bonus I guess to not have the trans tunnel.  Can’t even imagine what a pita it would have been if it was still in place. Not sure I have asked you before, are you planning on making the tunnel removable?

Profile photo of

It’ll be welded in but the plan is to have a couple of access panels to get to the rear plugs if needed..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice, carry on :good:

Profile photo of

There isn’t much in the way of service or adjustment items at the back of the engine, anything else is a drop the engine and trans out deal, I’ve made sure it can come out as a unit for that reason..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea understand, and that’s how you did the Lexcan so I guess you have the gear etc to do it.

Profile photo of

Would need to disassemble far more of the car to get it out the top, even then it’d be a nightmare with it mounted that far back!

<touch wood> it’s fairly reliable and understressed so there shouldn’t be to much of pulling it out this time!..

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

cool B-)

Profile photo of

Had to rework the Trans crossmember for the exhaust routing, in Melton picking up some more parts..

And Home, on closer inspection this morning none of the Lexcen mufflers were good enough to reuse, I thought the two centres would have been ok, but a few off track excursions sorted that..

Took all my leftovers and swapped them for a new pair, an O2 bung and some material to make the hangers..

Can’t say I was unhappy stopping, it was cold enough this morning that after I welded the crossmember up I cuddled it till it got cold…

Profile photo of

Tacked up the exhaust ready for finish welding tomorrow, got some practice with the Tig reinforcing the new tips as the old ones were too short to work.

Finally welds I’m not embarrassed by..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Lol that’s gunna be subtle.

Profile photo of

Pretty much the same components and length as the Lexcen system  B-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

IJ are you going to run an X or H pipe?  Not sure you did on the Lexcan, maybe charged doesnt need it?

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

Polar opposite of stealth… :thumbs-up:

Nothing ruins your Friday more than realising it's only Tuesday...

Profile photo of

IJ are you going to run an X or H pipe? Not sure you did on the Lexcan, maybe charged doesnt need it?

Yep a small H pipe, really don’t like the sound without one!

Polar opposite of stealth…

LOL the second I fire it up is the end of any stealth factor so I figured why bother  :unsure:

—————————————–

Decided to give my MIG a long service present, I’ve had this machine 30+ years now so figured it’s time for a new liner, a bit of history, it’s a Cig transmig 250 and Cig in their infinite wisdom decided to design and copy right the consumables.

This means no aftermarket parts at all, as well as the contact tips use a bayonet fitting, good for tool less changes when new but crap for longevity, parts are getting really hard to find so it’s time for a new gun based on a Tweco#2.

The proof is that for the same wire I’m using 2/3 the wire speed with the new gun! Taking the opportunity to get some more Tig Steel practice on the exhaust today.

Profile photo of

Done for the day, H pipe equipped, ignore the huge gap around the tips, there’s a Stainless cover plate going in that area, another lesson from the Lexcen.

With the exhaust so short it gets hot enough to scorch the paint, on the Lexcen the tips were below the sills as well and it still made the paint Black and crispy..

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

nice you’ll be glad that’s parts over

Profile photo of

Not wrong Frazer, just have to make the hangers tomorrow and the exhaust is complete, I find it’s always the biggest pita when you do a custom build like this..

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Are you still managing to get deflillpo parts? Or is that old stock. Since they have sold and changes owners im getting no where with them

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.