This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Are you still managing to get deflillpo parts? Or is that old stock. Since they have sold and changes owners im getting no where with them

I’m actually mates with Darren, met the new owners they seem ok so I’ll keep using their stuff.

——————————–

Done!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very neat!

Profile photo of

Thanks Gary, that’s pretty much what I’m aiming for this time, neat and functional!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I think so far you are nailing super neat and functional.  Seriously looks great.  I imagine will make it so much nicer/easier to work on too, well thought out.

Profile photo of

Thanks again, I hope the Header/Exhaust build was in depth enough to be of interest, I like to think people are following along and just not posting and that’s it’s not just the 4 of us in here…  ;-)

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Thanks again, I hope the Header/Exhaust build was in depth enough to be of interest, I like to think people are following along and just not posting and that’s it’s not just the 4 of us in here…

I’m following along and find your skills fascinating.

Profile photo of

Thanks Dude, I’m just an enthusiastic hack, can’t afford to pay someone to build cars so I’ve learnt a lot of new skills over the years, in the past I’ve shied away from Tig welding steel as I had NFI just how wrong I was doing it…

Oddly always managed ok in aluminium which everyone tells me is the more difficult to do…

Thanks to YouTube I now know what I’ve been doing wrong so can work on getting better, if there’s ever any questions or suggestions from anyone please feel free to jump in as I’m just making it up as I go along..

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Tig is interesting, I dabbled with it at work years ago but no longer have access to it.  Really want one for home as it would open up a world of mods that can be done in the garage.

Profile photo of

I’ve had a couple over the years, self taught so really had NFI what I was doing till now, I was making a lot of noob mistakes because I didn’t know any better and had no one to ask (well no one that would actually take the time to show me as it seems to be a trade secret)

Found a few really good tutorials on You Tube and wow what a difference, my machine is one with the lot so a bit overkill for anything I’ll ever do, but hopefully I’ll use it a bit more now as I get more proficient with it!

As with most things it’s a case of practice practice and more practice but only when you have things setup right, otherwise it leads to decades of wasted practice and a lot of bad habits..

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

As with most things it’s a case of practice practice and more practice but only when you have things setup right, otherwise it leads to decades of wasted practice and a lot of bad habits..

Very much this… ^

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of firebug firebug.

Nothing ruins your Friday more than realising it's only Tuesday...

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks again, I hope the Header/Exhaust build was in depth enough to be of interest, I like to think people are following along and just not posting and that’s it’s not just the 4 of us in here…

You nailed it, enough detail, and great to follow along.  Street Commodores forum was similar back in the day, I think a lot of people like to follow along but dont necessarily post.  I think it’s got a bit to do with FB.  That’s a good, quick and easy way for people to quickly post etc, forums are more about following along sort of like reading a book.  Btw we just ticked over 2,000 members on here!!

I found a few really good tutorials on You Tube and wow what a difference,

If you (or anyone else) comes across a decent YouTube video or link to something useful if you have time please post it up on the tech page :good:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

All good, I used to Mod a forum and it was very interactive with the members, times have changed I guess, Posted the TIG vids in tech..

Just got home went up to Swan Hill for a bit of a day off from the Shed!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, IJ, will take a look.  My grandfather back in the day taught me as a kid to oxy weld.  Actually, I was OK at it.  I think that’s why I found TIG relatively straight forward.  Its sort of like an electric torch version of oxy.  Looking forwadr to getting the new welding helmet and having another crack :)

Profile photo of

I’m running the .6 wire in the new gun today, so far so good!

————————————–

Ok made a start on the floor of doom, this is just a temporary frame so I can remove the driveline and still make the sheet metal without continual refitting to check clearances..

As I make each section the frame is removed and binned, but of course I underestimated the amount of material I need so off to Bendigo for a change..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s a very cool idea on how to do it, very smart indeed!!

Just out of interest, had a visit by a lad who is a panel guy on the week end who restores split window kombis (not just rat rods).  He actually uses 1 mm wire even on sheet metal.  According to him, a lot of it is in varying the distance from the gun to the workpiece.  I am not an expert though, just thought its interesting, and something I am going to try.

Profile photo of

That is interesting, 1mm carries a lot of current even at low settings, I just find it hard to not overheat the metal, guess in older things it’s not so much of an issue but in modern cars with the thin high strength steels it’s too easy to destroy it..

When I built the 240z ALL of the metal work was done using .6 and rarely had an issue, I think a lot of it was the worn out Gun and Liner, will see how it behaves with the new gun.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea. I thought it interesting too. He has offered to come and give me a hands on lesson or two with mine, but your right it will be on my old bus.

Profile photo of

By all means take him up on his offer!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I certainly am going to!!  I actually want to purposely set amps and feed out either way, so he can show me what to look for and correct if that makes sense.  I have found once it’s set right I can do the thin panels pretty well, but when its off tbh I am just throwing darts trying to correct it.

Profile photo of

Usually adjust by sound, I have a rough idea on amps and feed then tweak till it sounds right.

@ Sands, I can’t reply to your message here but Darren isn’t involved with the shop at all, I know a guy there which gasket do you need?

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.