This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giddo95 Giddo95 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Giddo95
    Giddo95
    Participant

Ahoy! I’ve decided to start a build thread for my 1995 HSV Enhanced VS ute. I picked it up last week from north Queensland and drove it 6 hours home with no problems. Noticed a few minor issues.. brakes all round were shot and required whole new set of discs and pads, the handbrake was tightened beyond comprehension and I noticed a slight miss and after doing a compression test found Cylinder #1 135psi #2 & 3 125psi #4 135psi #5 150psi #6,7,8 130psi.. so I’ve decided to just rebuild it over the next few months and bring it back to its former glory.

Plan is to pull the motor and box out, rebuild the motor, assess the gearbox and either rebuild or condition and install a Transgo HD2 shift kit to my specs. Rewire the loom to make it standalone and replace the power steering pump, steering rack and the ugly ass home job exhaust system on it.

There will be a fair bit of learning as I go but I look forward to get down and dirty and getting to know my car!

Any recommendation, links or threads that you’d recommend having a look at let me know, always down for other opinions and advice.

Cheers, Giddo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Welcome mate, I really like that.  Look forward to following along with the build.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Looks like a clean ute mate. Look forward to seeing the progress on it.

Profile photo of someguy360
    someguy360
    Participant

Love it mate, love the cowl + colour.

Can’t wait to see how you go with it.

Profile photo of Giddo95
    Giddo95
    Participant

Thanks guys, I would have loved for it to have been the original colour as I’m trying to keep it close to original but the grey really is a nice lick of paint.

Alrighty it’s now been in at the mechanics for two week getting a well deserved freshen up. I originally had a problem with starting it the day after driving it home, now I thought it was a split fuel line or blocked line because on the drive down I had fumes in the cab and figured either the long drive caused it to finally split or sucked up some rust but after pulling the fuel line off and turning the ignition the fuel was pumping fine and they car started first go. Since then the problem has come back and after a few hours of diagnostics, checking leads, dizzy and the computer we have put it down to the ignition module has cooked itself ( check photos ) looks to have started corroding. So that’ll be replaced within this week.

I also went straight into replacing all parts that were leaking or weeping so steering rack, power steering pump, front crank seal, fuel breather lines and a Welsh plug. Also had to replace the handbrake ratchet lever after further inspecting and finding it wasnt over tightened by had full seized up ( pictures supplied ). Removed and replaced the lever and gave it a work down with a wire burn and rust killer and shes good as new.

Also gone and replaced all the usual stuff when buying a second hand car. Plugs, leads, belts, coolant, oils, gaskets and seals, hoses, bushes, rotors and pads.

Most bushes had been replaced already with nolathane bushes so I only had to replace a few. Brake calipers were seized aswell (I’m surprised it drive 5 hours with practically no brakes 😬).
    Found apon getting up on the hoist that it has some really beefy sway bars on it aswell as tri y extractors which I believe are the HSV extractors ( correct me if I’m wrong? ). It also came with a very well looked after set of VR HSV Cubsport mags 17 x 8 43P which was a bonus considering I only paid $4800 for the car.

Next few steps once the ignition module is replaced is to drop the oil and give the coolant a flush and replace ( It only had water in it.. and a fair bit of rust ). Then I’ll be moving onto some rust work on the driver side door sill, little bit of bubbling aswell as removing the spray on tub liner and fixing some rush around the tail gate. I’ll be going with a spatter spray in the tub instead of a liner or rubber spray. I also want to get the sunroof looked at and resealed if it’s not up to my standard aswell and installing my HSV mufflers and new 2’5 inch system as the current one is appalling.

All in all really happy with the work done buy my local mechanic Dan, absolute top bloke who goes that extra mile to get the job done just the way you want 💪

I’ll post more photos when I’m back on land.

Giddo

Profile photo of Giddo95
    Giddo95
    Participant

Update – borrowed a ignition module off another mechanic who uses it as a test module so it definitely works only to find it hasn’t solved the problem. Thinking it could be an after market immobilizer as this problem only started when we pulled the battery out to charge and replace the clamp. Opened up the fuse box under the dash only to find a bird nest of wires with some sort of immobilizer but the weird thing is it doesn’t cut off the injector pulse or fuel pump power? Got us both scratching our heads so we’ve decided to get an auto electrician in to decluster this sphagetti job and hopefully get to the bottom of this problem. 😅 photos are just of the wiring under the dash, theres the same sloppy home job under the centre console which looks like hes botched up a loom for the power windows and at the fuse box in the engine bay. Bit of extra work but nothing that cant be fixed.

Profile photo of Giddo95
    Giddo95
    Participant

Only other thing it could be is coil pack which is a prick to access but I might replace it regardless. See how the auto electrician goes first

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice to see it getting some love!!  It never ceases to amaze me the absolute crap job some people do of wiring.  How hard would it have been for the last guy to neaten it up, cable ties cost nothing.  end or rant!! :negative:

Profile photo of Giddo95
    Giddo95
    Participant

Not wrong mate! It’s the little things like that, that make the difference.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.