HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine304 Intake Manifold Swap

This topic contains 160 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

The’re 1.75″ or 44.45mm, same as the Edelbrock 1000cfm TB.

The difference I think is that the Aeroflow TB has the butterfly shafts machined down, possibly has a lower profile and has larger radius into and coming out of the bores.  whether or not that equates to the extra flow I have no idea but it’s my best guess  :scratch:

Immortality
    Participant

Right, I think I’ve got everything done that needs doing (drilling/tapping etc).

Now I’m gonna strip it down and take it to work and give it a good clean/wash to make sure all the swarf/crap is gone and then it’ll be ready for bolting onto the engine.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work mate, looking forward to seeing pics of it all on :)

Immortality
    Participant

So this is how she sits today.

The original plan was to have the FPR mounted on the back of the fuel rail but it’s going to foul on the trans dip stick tube :-( so that is going to require some thought.

Attachments:
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, no issues?  Btw what are the two smaller lines that go from the front of the manifold back either side of the tb for?

Immortality
    Participant

The original plan was to mount the FPR of the back of the fuel rail but the pressure gauge will foul on the trans dip stick tube so that will need a re-think.  Going to need new heater hoses as the originals aren’t going to sit right either but I was kinda expecting that.  No other major issues at this stage but I’m sure something will creep up.

The 2 small lines are the coolant bleed/bypass hoses. They allow a small amount of coolant to flow from the rear of the head which is normally a bit of a dead spot in the cooling system which causes the rear cylinder on the drivers side bank to run hot and the spot they tend to blow head gaskets as a result.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No worries, bending/modifying the trans dip stick is pretty simple.  I have a pipe bender and used that and customized mine, but I am sure even without a bender  if you were careful you could do it.  You can also by Lokar flexible ones and mount it where you want.

Immortality
    Participant

Your the 2nd person to recommend that.  Will investigate that option later this week when I’ve finished my shifts at work.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Pity you aren’t in Adelaide, would have brought the bender over and we could have done it pretty easy ;-)

Immortality
    Participant

So finally making some real progress, put most the fittings in the manifold with some Loctite thread sealant and have managed to get it fitted to the engine.  New gaskets came with cork type gaskets for the valley but made it a PITA to fit the manifold so they got binned and I just used a nice bead of silicone instead.  It also turns out the manifold has had some porting work done, the runners are matched to suit the intake ports on the heads :yes:  Our old NZV8 class limited the Holden boys to VN heads with “as cast” ports…..  Not bad that a 304 with standard heads, a small solid cam (I believe around the 234° .050″ duration) and Harrop DP manifold made about 420hp on pump 98 with about 10.5CR.  Pic for posterity…..

Pity you aren’t in Adelaide, would have brought the bender over and we could have done it pretty easy

Cheers, appreciate the thought anyway :-)

Attachments:
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Love that, I am a big fan of unbrako style socket head cap screws, so much cleaner looking :good:

Immortality
    Participant

Yep, I much prefer cap screw type bolts.  Generally speaking I use em where ever possible.  Probably because 95% of what I use at work are cap screws…….

As I go over the engine I’ll replace most of the standard bolts as I go.

Eventually when it cops a few other upgrades I’ll use grade 12.9 cap screws for the heads etc as they are as good as the ARP8740 range of bolts but much cheaper from my local engineering shop :-)

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

Looking good..  you must be excited it’s getting so close.

Out of interest, what’s been done to the engine?

Immortality
    Participant

Yep, all going well I’ll fire it up next week hopefully.

Engine is stock ATM, looking at doing a head/cam swap sometime next year.  Then overhaul suspension, brakes, trans and diff to follow.

Original plan was to have this as a nice cruiser but looks like I might race it with a bit of giggle gas until I can built something with the intent of going fast around a track.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Maybe try a 1998 VS V8 Dipstick (ute or stateman)

as mine was different to the early transmissions

and VT 5.0lt are different again

Immortality
    Participant

More progress, got the wiring loom sorted this morning and started on the heater hoses which are going to make things interesting….  Need to organise some clamps to hold hoses and tidy up the wiring loom a bit better.

Couple of small issues to iron out, the factory injector retaining clips (for the fuel rails) don’t fit so not sure what I’m gonna do there yet and need to figure out where the heater tap is going to fit.  I might relocate that toward the back of the engine somewhere so things are just a little tidier looking.  I don’t think it matters if I but it in the return line either.

Maybe try a 1998 VS V8 Dipstick (ute or stateman) as mine was different to the early transmissions and VT 5.0lt are different again

That might be worth a look.  Regardless of what I do I think it’s going to be a bit of a mess in that corner with the dip stick tube and fuel line fittings all tucked in next to the brake booster :-(

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality. Reason: add
    Attachments:
    Immortality
    Participant

Thinking I might bend the fuel hard lines 90° so they face along the fire wall, then the trans dip stick tube can be bent toward the brake booster and wont foul on anything.

Thoughts?

Attachments:
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looking good, I cant remember but is that the place the heater hoses run originally?  I ran mine along the inside of the guard, I know the LS has them in a different position, but maybe there is some way it might work neater for you?

Immortality
    Participant

Hey, that is not a bad idea at all  :good:  I’m going to try routing em similar to yours, just need to see if they can be worked around the PS pump.

Yes, on the factory intake the heater hoses run up sides of the intake manifold but they are all hidden by the covers.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good, thought it might at least give you an idea.  Pity to spoil the look of yours with the hoses over the top.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.