HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine304 Intake Manifold Swap

This topic contains 160 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a 2nd had Harrop Dual Plane intake manifold, It’s an ex NZV8 tourer manifold so it isn’t drilled to suit injectors but it has been drilled for a rear coolant cross-over.

I’ll get an K&N extreme top 14×3 drop base air cleaner, Aeroflow thermostat housing and Edelbrock 1000cfm TB.

Is there anything else I will need to complete the conversion?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality. Reason: add
    Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

The only thing I can think of is a throttle linkage and maybe brackets to suit, my only question is will it fit under the bonnet? Coz I’m thinking about doing the same thing with my ss

Immortality
    Participant

Should fit, others have fitted TP Dual plane manifolds with drop base filters and they fitted ok and the Harrop is slightly lower than the TP (about 10mm).

I have a spare bonnet here so I will cut a hole in that one and run a raised filter base for the summer for a bit of fun.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It should fit

manifold

throttle cable

Ports for the 2 factory sensors. ECU, dash + the loop to the water pump nipple

extensions for the rails.

Profile photo of vt6banger
    vt6banger
    Participant
    Supporter

This is how mine was plumbed up when I got it second hand. I got a lokar throttle bracket too.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Immortality
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Extensions for the fuel rails I’ll machine up at work. I might drill/tap into the back of the #6 runner for the MAT sensor, then it’s fairly much hidden and close to the original position so I won’t need to alter the wiring loom for that section.

I’ll check out that Lokar throttle cable bracket too.  I was thinking about changing over to the V6 throttle cable as it has a different fitting which might be easier to adapt.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

I was wondering about the throttle cable, sensor ports are easy just drill and tap, glad to hear it should fit under the bonnet coz I want to do this myself soon enough, keep us posted

My only other question is what’s the best option to get some cold air to this set up without cutting the bonnet obviously

Immortality
    Participant

I was thinking along these lines

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

that’s probably the best way to go isn’t it, any idea where you can buy something like this? At worst it wouldn’t take much to fold up and fabricate a custom sheet metal one but I’d rather be lazy and just buy something if possible

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Put the MAT sensor in the runner. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. It caused havoc in mine when it was in the carby base.

I made my own air tray. The difference was huge.

Immortality
    Participant

that’s probably the best way to go isn’t it, any idea where you can buy something like this? At worst it wouldn’t take much to fold up and fabricate a custom sheet metal one but I’d rather be lazy and just buy something if possible

https://hdt.com.au/product/hdt-vb-vk-v8-cold-air-tray/

Immortality
    Participant

Good looking cold air box there :)

Yep, that’s why I’m intending to go into runner 6 as close as possible to the original position.

I don’t suppose you remember what model/part number for the top radiator hose?

Put the MAT sensor in the runner. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. It caused havoc in mine when it was in the carby base. I made my own air tray. The difference was huge.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Believe it was a bottom VNv6 hose cut down. I had a swivel t/stat housing tho.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

That engine bay shot has given me a few ideas cava, I like the overflow/catch can setup you have there I think I’m gonna have to do something similar.

thanks for the link immortality, it’ll be a while till I get to swap my manifold but at least I know what I need and where to get the bits I want

Immortality
    Participant

Yeah, right now I want to get it on and running.  The cosmetic stuff can come later as time allows.

Working on getting a new job so I kinda need a running car fairly soonish……

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

They do call me a pioneer  B-)

Immortality
    Participant

That engine bay shot has given me a few ideas cava, I like the overflow/catch can setup you have there I think I’m gonna have to do something similar. thanks for the link immortality, it’ll be a while till I get to swap my manifold but at least I know what I need and where to get the bits I want

With the airbox gone from the factory position it does open up a lot of opportunities to utilise that space  :yes:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m digging the bonnet mounted work light you have there too Mr Pioneer.  Is it eBay?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Repco.

But they don’t sell to you regular people.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well lets say hypothetically the did sell to mere mortals like me, can “Cava the Oracle” please advise if it damages the bonnet paint at all, or if you are happy with it? ;-)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.