HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine304 Intake Manifold Swap

This topic contains 160 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey Hoopstar, welcome to the forum, not sure I have seen you post before.  Like the HR in you profile pic, that yours?

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Did a quick fitment check today before the manifold goes off to the machinist, port alignment looks reasonably good.  Those NZV8’s can’t have had much machined off the heads.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just out of interest Immortality, how did you check the port alignment, its something I have always wondered?

Immortality
    Participant

To do it correctly requires marking out the ports and then transferring marks over to the manifold and comparing.  In this case I just put it in place noted the position on the intake gaskets and fitment in the valley and then removed the manifold and checked it against the gaskets.  Good enough as I’m not port matching but if you were then marking it out is the only real way.  Some pics from HPE (on the AV8 forum) showing his port matching work.

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

Like the HR in you profile pic, that yours?

Yes mate, it is mine..

That’s why I said should LOOK INTO….

</span>

Cava, sorry mate I wasn’t having a go…  apologies if you took it that way..!!

It’s just that the Harrops don’t tend to suffer the (entire bank) fuel distribution the Edelbrock AG seems to possess.

Milling out that section tends to hurt light throttle response and a bit of torque, so you’d avoid it if at all possible.    I am just not sure what the reason is he’d need to “look into” it..  especially since it appears he doesn’t even have it bolted on the motor yet.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Hoopstar Hoopstar.
    Immortality
    Participant

LOL, yep it’s not even bolted on yet.  We will check bank to bank fuelling but that is a long way off yet.  Car needs to be on the road by the start of October if my job application goes well.

Car will be primarily road tuned (as I have all the gear hear for that) but it may spend a little time on the rollers as well so we may possibly run it with/without spacer to see if there is any difference as I will have a spacer.  I also have a NOS big shot kit which uses a 1/2 open spacer which may get fitted at some stage too  B-)

edit: I know of another engine that had a large AFR discrepancy between banks, it had a full twin exhaust system, once they fitted a balance pipe into the system the banks balanced out (was a cammed up 304, with head work but still running banana’s).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yes mate, it is mine..

Cool as, if you want feel free to throw up a thread in the other rides section, my Kombi and and a few others are in there.  I am so old a good mate of mine had a HR when I was at high school that his Dad bought new and passed onto him, good times were had in that let me tell ya :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks for that, have often wondered the correct way to do it.  I match ported the exhaust on mine but used the gasket as a template, after first checking the gasket on the head.  With my induction they are in two separate pairs so I did the same, but the manifold was spot on.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Like the HR in you profile pic, that yours?

Yes mate, it is mine..

That’s why I said should LOOK INTO….

</span> Cava, sorry mate I wasn’t having a go… apologies if you took it that way..!! It’s just that the Harrops don’t tend to suffer the (entire bank) fuel distribution the Edelbrock AG seems to possess. Milling out that section tends to hurt light throttle response and a bit of torque, so you’d avoid it if at all possible. I am just not sure what the reason is he’d need to “look into” it.. especially since it appears he doesn’t even have it bolted on the motor yet.

haha all good mate. I’m thick skinneed.

I didn’t know what milling it actual achieved, so good to know now. Just new it helped in some cases. Esp in some SBC

Immortality
    Participant

I didn’t know what milling it actual achieved, so good to know now. Just new it helped in some cases. Esp in some SBC

In a normal Dual plane manifold each intake port only see half of the total volume of the TB so if you have a 1000cfm TB than each port only “sees” 500cfm  of flow with a small plenum volume which promotes good airspeed at low throttle openings but limits flow at full throttle.

If you mill down the divider each runner can now draw on the full 1000cfm of flow as well as increasing the plenum volume.  There is also stuff with intake pulses pulling on opposite runners, gets quiet technical and I don’t understand it all either.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

That’s why I Brought a single plane lol

Immortality
    Participant

Comes down to application I guess, some people say the single plane is king but when someone like TK on the AV8 forum uses a dual plane on a 365 cu race engine that shows me it can’t be all bad.  Some other guy from the US says something similar and he’s kinda like the engine guru of engine guru’s…..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Who you speaking of?

Immortality
    Participant

David Vizard,  Engine genius.

I’ve read some of his books, really wanted to go to his seminar when he was here in NZ but things just didn’t work out right.

Hoopstar
    Participant

..And there lay another problem – the size of most throttle bodies are 1000cfm and more which is way too big for a 304 or 355.

Even with 100% VE, a 355 turning at 7500 rpm only requires a TB that flows 770cfm.

This reduces air speed and makes less torque in the mid-range.

1000cfm with 100% is nearing 10,000rpm

CRD Engineering make a 750cfm TB which is a great match for a well tuned 355.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

the wizard definitely knows his way around an engine and all aspects of it at that

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

..And there lay another problem – the size of most throttle bodies are 1000cfm and more which is way too big for a 304 or 355. Even with 100% VE, a 355 turning at 7500 rpm only requires a TB that flows 770cfm. This reduces air speed and makes less torque in the mid-range. 1000cfm with 100% is nearing 10,000rpm CRD Engineering make a 750cfm TB which is a great match for a well tuned 355.

but it’s only air. Won’t the engine only use what it can take. Efi is dry induction compared to carby

Immortality
    Participant

but it’s only air. Won’t the engine only use what it can take. Efi is dry induction compared to carby

..And there lay another problem – the size of most throttle bodies are 1000cfm and more which is way too big for a 304 or 355. Even with 100% VE, a 355 turning at 7500 rpm only requires a TB that flows 770cfm. This reduces air speed and makes less torque in the mid-range. 1000cfm with 100% is nearing 10,000rpm CRD Engineering make a 750cfm TB which is a great match for a well tuned 355.

Well then a dual plane that only sees half the flow (per bank) should be ideal then :)

I had toyed with the idea of a single plane and then fitting a plenum divider which I think is fairly much what the Duggan manifold is (Smitty uses on his VK racer).

At the end of the day I know that this manifold, with standard 304 heads, 10:1 comp and a small solid FT cam will make 400hp (basic NZV8 tourer specs).

Hoopstar
    Participant

Two words: air speed.

Too large a TB will slow air speed and reduce cylinder fill (effectively reducing VE) resulting in less power.

Those calcs above were @ 100% VE.  Things get worse at ‘real world’ VE’s seen on street engines.

The other thing is an engines air requirements versus rpm tend to be fairly linear but airflow versus throttle position is more logarithmic so a TB that is too large becomes worse as the blades open more and more and air speed drops.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

+1 for David Vizard.  One of my first cars 35 years ago was an 1100 Mini.  Back then he was the king of Mini’s, and he has just grown and grown from there.  I didn’t know he does seminars…

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.