This topic contains 20 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wraith Wraith 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Copy and pasted from another site so hopefully it makes sense.

Was planning on taking the clubby off the road which never happened but bought this as a replacement. Probably paid a bit too much for it at $4500 but oh well. 2 owner car. 185k kms. Needs a roadworthy and rego but there’s some surface rust that needs taking care of first and a potential rear main or sump leak. Has a couple dings here and there but I prefer it so I don’t have to freak out in shopping centres.

VF Storm rims came with it. Brand new tread. Got them for $650 so can’t complain.

That booty. No idea why it has a weird V8 badge. Will probably take it off at some stage.

Some damage. For some reason it has a chrome strip on both sides. Not sure why.

Original owner got Holden to put Calais woodgrain in. No idea why.

Needs a wash but the mechanic it’s at will wash it all out.

Rust. Been quoted couple hundred to sort it. Not through it’s mainly surface.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Fixing it up for roadworthy and fixing up the rust turned out to be quite expensive. Close to 3 grand on road made the purchase price suddenly seem not so good any more. 3 minutes after leaving the mechanics had an ABS fault which was traced back to wheel sensor fault. Cleaned them up and it seems to be good now. Brakes were still horrible so went and replaced them with RDA slotted and dimpled with new brake pads. Made a big difference because you don’t feel like your about to run up the car in front when you brake.

Got the factory strut brace on mainly for looks.

Can’t say I noticed much difference but it looks cool so extra points there.

Car lasted a week before I got bored of stock so threw in an Aeroflow panel filter and new exhaust.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Got a eBay special mail order mafless tune done as well. Fitted up the Monaro cold air shroud and cut the 2nd hole. Can’t really feel much difference but I think that should be all the air this car needs. Not going OTR as I don’t like the look nor the maintenance.

Ran it  up on the dyno to make sure everything was good being an eBay special tune.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Replaced the drive and AC belt as I found the main drive belt was 2mm too short. No idea how that happens but anyway. AC belt was a bit past it’s prime to. Ripped out the MAF and put in a temporary bit of pipe. Got the temperature sensor loom on it’s way.

Was planning on getting extractors fitted but am happy with the power and sound it makes so I’m in the process of upgrading the stereo instead. Will be getting the stock headunit modified for RCA and aux in as I hate the thought of using line out convertors.

Think that covers everything so far.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Oh and I forgot I took the stupid chrome striping the first owner put on. Took off the V8 and Berlina badge off the back. Took off the V8 badge under the indicators to. It’s quiet enough to make you think the exhaust is probably factory and probably a V6 but once you give it some throttle you know for sure there’s a V8 under the bonnet.

Wasn’t a fan of the weird woodgrain but it’s grown on me and I have never seen another VZ with it (probably because it’s so out there). 2nd owner is adamant the 1st owner had it optioned from Holden but I’m not sure. 1st owner was 70+ years old so doubt very much he went on eBay and bought it.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well very nice to see you get around to posting it up on here, thanks ;-)

But I have to say have to say its probably the most unenthusiastic thread I have read for a while, actually reminds me of the old “Equipe of doom” over on Street Commodores back in the day!!

Get enthusiastic boy, its a V8, life’s good :good:

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Oh don’t get me wrong I love it. Was just trying to remember everything as I was posting. Love the sound it makes or more doesn’t make. I don’t think I can ever get over the look on peoples faces in obnoxiously loud cars when I take off at WOT. Bit slow off the mark but once she’s moving it’s pretty quick. Went from the this to the clubby once and the clubby felt like it was getting held back but I knew it was just that much slower.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks like a great daily.  I could never understand people putting chrome strips etc on a car though, I guess it may wreck the paint if you pull them off though, and at least with the grey they dont stand out too much.  Just needs a touch more low when you get the chance…

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Yeah unfortunately the chrome strips went cloudy after less then a week so I took them off (by me I mean my wife spending 3 hours with prepsol) They did take paint off unfortunately but what can you do.

Air intake done. Now to wait for the Mafless loom with the air temp sensor. Smells real nice with it disconnected.

The only way you can tell something isn’t right.

Monaro shroud cutting for VZ overflow

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

The woodgrain would be aftermarket as its not listed on the HBD option list i have…..

i know a guy that has the equipment to get it made, use to do woodgrain and carbon fibre packages and sell them on ebay

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Oh yeah forgot to update this thread because no one replied I didn’t think I would bother.

Stereo is out to get modified by Phreddy. Found the woodgrain look over a factory sticker so yep it’s hydro dipped for sure. Given the age of the original owner I would say he got some one locally to do it.

PVC lasted less then a week before failure. Fun but expensive experiment.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Woodgrain is staying purely because every 2nd person has either silver or piano black.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I dont mind the wood grain :)  Dont stress about people not posting, seems to go like that sometimes  :good:

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

New stereo bits are here. Waiting on the modified head unit.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I love bits :yahoo:

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Every time I think to myself I need new wheels I go outside and doubt myself. No one has VF wheels unless there HSV. Just suit the car so well I think.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Couldn’t help myself. Installed the aux input. Works awesome. Put it in the console so it’s next to the 12 volt power. Wouldn’t even know it’s not factory.

Phreddys work is so good. All neatly labeled. All put together very well.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Well not a lot has happened. Still for sale. Still no takers. Had one guy win it on eBay only to tell me 2 days later to relist it.
    Sitting on 190,200 kms now. Radiator developed a pinhole leak so it got swapped out.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Selling cars sucks balls big time.

Profile photo of BTS666.0
    BTS666.0
    Participant

the wood grain looks like statesman or caprice gear. maybe he had that put in? nice sleeper bud.

...so I said "orange ya glad I didn't say banana?"........hahahaha.....hhhmmmm...pffft.....

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.