HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralSuspensionwheel they fit???

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 9 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

hey guys 1st post. was on street commodores but this site seems to be getting more action and builds so yeah cheers.

my question is i am about to purchase hase a new set of wheels for the old girl vr ssand wonder what is the maximum width i can run on the rear for that staggered look.

the wheels are 19×8 or 8.5 or 9.5 with 35 p???

i had 19x 8s on a while ago and with 45 p offset they fit kinda well???

the guys in beaurepairs are saying stay with 8 inch because the rims are not returnable when purchased but im thinking im spending a fair bit on these wheels so id rather get what i really want even 9.5 on the rear just for down the future??

any help appreciated cheers

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate, if its IRS you can run 10″ wide.  That’s what I have on mine.  But its absolutely all about the offset you need.  To run them you need 31P.

So going by the above I would think 9.5 x 35P would work as they will stick out toward the guard 10mm less than mine (if my calcs are correct lol)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just remember too the less the offset number the more they stick out toward the guard.

So a wheel of 30P will stick out 10mm more toward the outside of the car (guard) than the same wheel at 40P

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Some useful links

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#

Looks like my sketch pad doodle for your was right, 9.5 x 35 P should be fine

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

cheers. thanks gary i did have a look on a site and i seemed keen. if not il get the guards rolled and massaged a lil to compensate.  :good:

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Keen to see pics of what you end up choosing.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No worries, I did just get this lip of my guards rolled ever so slightly when the did the paint :)

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Are you wheels really only +31 offset Gary?

You would struggle hard to fit that on a vt-vz especially with Forrest size tyres. Vr-vs must have heaps more room haha.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea mate, spent a long time on it, removed the rear wheel and spring, then put a jack up under there, made up a 295 template and moved it back and forth so that it sat equally between the outer guard and inner stuff so I could fit wides possible.  This is the post off my build thread on what I did :yes:

OK, have done a bit of measuring and playing with the rear wheels, widths and offsets.  Note this is on my car which is a 1993 VR Senator, I have had the guards rolled and also the inner portion above the guard relived a little as well whilst they were preparing it for paint. I am pretty sure they were based on a Berlina, with IRS.  Other models etc. may be different.

First thing I did was make up a wheel mock up pattern and clamped to a steel rim I had.  I made the external diameter the same as the original Senator wheel which was 650mm, I started off the template at 295mm wide.

I then put the car up, and removed the spring so that I could jack the wheel up and down through its travel from maximum to minimum so I could check clearance.

I then played around and moved the pattern in and out, and checked where it would foul.  There are 4 main areas below I looked at.

Interestingly, I had heard, and expected that I would need to relieve the trailing arm as it would here first, it doesn’t, the area it hits first is the inner guard area “B”  The shock (C) and rear of the arch (D) are also relatively well clear.

This is area A on the trailing arm

So I set the template and put a 5mm drill bit between the area B and the template, I figured 5mm was about as close as I would want to.  I then went around and measured the others,

So the clearances were A=12mm, B = 5mm,  C=20mm, D=22mm.

Then having set the inner position I started with the template at 295mm wide.  It fouled the outside of the guard, I then trimmed it back and the widest I could get was 285mm.

So the widest tyre I can currently fit = 285mm

I then measured the offset on the steel rim, which as I understand it is the full rim width / 2 less the distance from the edge to the hub mount face.  That worked out to be 45mm.  Tbh I have no idea what model Commodore this wheel is off.  I then measured the template relative to the steel wheel.  I then laid it out on paper, the calculations are below,

I would have done it a bit neater on CAD but wanted to do it now.

From it I have worked out that the offset I need is 30.5mm, or make it 30mm.

So for my car, the widest possible tyres I can fit are 285mm, with an offset of 30mm.

I think it would be possible to go a little wider, maybe 295, but you would need to “massage” area B in a bit, and it may be possible to tweak camber.  Interesting day.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

That’s awesome. Plenty of choices for wheels at that offset.

May have to copy your template idea, as I’ll be looking at some 18×10’s with a 275/285 if I step up the power again. Should really build a house though haha.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

what tyre are u running Garry? Your rims are 17″? I’d love 255 on my 16″ wheels.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Currently running 275 but think 295 would fit easy. Really rim size is irrelevant.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

I meant finding tyres above 245 is hard, that’s why I wondered what yours are..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sorry mate missed the part about what diameter, yep 17″  fronts are the original 5 spoke HSV 17 x 8 rims, The rears are my billet custom 17 x 10

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.