HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralSuspensionVT-VY Front LCA in a VR/VS?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LF24 LF24 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Do later model front lower control arms from say a vy fit in a vr/vs? I was going to grab some from a wrecker and test it but to be honest if someone else has tried it already it would save me wasting money.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

From memory they are different Whiteline part numbers, so I would lean towards no.

Yep different mate, VR/VS Has a different ball joint and just an overall different design, VT S1 Has the same actual arm as VT S2/VZ but a different ball joint and they also come in a Left or Right. :)

VR/VS

Later VT S2/VZ

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Kroozer Kroozer.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Kroozer Kroozer. Reason: Had 3 Bloody goes at that post!!! hahaha
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work Kroozer.

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Yeh i had a quick look at the whiteline site too. Obviously different arms but the question is how different? Bushing used for the inner mount is the same which suggests it’ll mount up (first hurdle). I haven’t been able to find any dimensions for the arms to know distance between inner bush and radius rod bush for example. If that were too far out then it wouldn’t work. I also don’t know overall arm length differences. Ball joints don’t seem a big deal as i could potentially use the later model knuckle too?

Basically i’ve found some aftermarket arms designed the for 04-06 GTO. Wondering if they’ll work in a vr/vs track car. Doesn’t seem that anyone has looked at the differences in detail though so i’ll have to see if anyone is willing to donate free/cheap so i can take some measurements.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

They are a nice looking bit of kit. Be great if they do work, keep us posted.

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

So i bought some cheap arms, knuckles and radius rods to test. Arms seem to be basically same length and distance from lower arm mount to radius rod seems same. However there is a bit of a problem. The VR/VS have a doglog in them. Where the VT-VZ arms are straighter.

With VT+ arms in place the stock radius rods are too short, but the VT and later radius rods are too long. The later radius rods literally won’t fit into the k frame.

Potentially adjustable radius rods may work but don’t know if they can be extended longer than stock or if they only get shorter.

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

If you use the VT arms you might be able to get more caster, with VS arms and adjustable radius rods, you’re limited by how much caster you can put in as the wheel rubs on the guards. With the VT arms it looks like the wheel starts off further back in the wheel arch so you could get more caster  – possibly…

Can you tell if the VT wheel hub bolts straight up to the rest of the VS suspension? Struts are the same but is the flange and ball joint location compatible?

P.S. Apparently the VT S1 ball joint connection to the hub is pinch bolt, VT SII onwards is tapered.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of benk benk.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If you took ur stock Vr/VS arms to a good fabricator they could mod them to be adjustable.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

A guy on the VG-VS holden utes facebook page has run this setup before and i will be going down this path soon. Will be running vt-vz lcas, knuckles and hubs with adjustable radius rods.  Will put up pictures once i get around to doing it.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Def post up pics when you are done, excellent discussion.

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

A guy on the VG-VS holden utes facebook page has run this setup before and i will be going down this path soon. Will be running vt-vz lcas, knuckles and hubs with adjustable radius rods. Will put up pictures once i get around to doing it.

what’s the reason guys go VT LCA’s on a VS? I know on the vn-vp they do it to gain track but the vt and vs arms appear to be the same length?

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

My reasoning is you get the least steering lock with modified knuckles with vs lcas because of the lock stops.  Apart from that I’m not sure, maybe because the later model arms are cheaper?

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

I haven’t tested whether vt+ knuckles will work on vs ball joints but more options for aftermarket knuckles with improved bearings and roll centre/camber adjustment for VT+ than Vr/Vs. That’s if you’re getting serious.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

I’ve been talking with a guy on Facebook that makes modified radius rods and knuckles.

He was saying that he’s working on a fully adjustable heavy duty front suspension kit for Commodores.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.